6.5mm 127 grains Barnes LRX

The_Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
Got a wild hair and decided to load some 127 lrx’s in my 6.5x47 lapua the other day and was rather impressed with what they did. Achieved .25 MOA accuracy and pushed them 2925fps. The BC’s are nothing impressive but i was able to verify them out to 1080 yards. I don’t have a lot of experience with Barnes but I’m wondering from those who do, how do they perform at lower impact velocities at longer ranges? Will they still expand or will you be risking the pencil affect? At sub 2000fps?

Coloradoboy

My personal limit for Barnes is 2000fps for reliable expansion. The LRX is supposed to be 1600fps. Have you tried any Hammers?

Yep, they say down to 1600fps. I have had good results down to about 1800fps, I just haven't had the opportunity down to 1600 to verify. They shoot pretty well for me.

My personal limit for Barnes is 2000fps for reliable expansion. The LRX is supposed to be 1600fps. Have you tried any Hammers?

I think the Berger EOL 140 is the best Bullet for this gun for what I do with it. I’ve just been flirting with the idea of dropping Bullet weight to increase the velocities. Haven’t tried hammers, honestly not a big copper Bullet fan boy but if these Barnes can hang at 500 plus yards I might be a customer

Got a wild hair and decided to load some 127 lrx’s in my 6.5x47 lapua the other day and was rather impressed with what they did. Achieved .25 MOA accuracy and pushed them 2925fps. The BC’s are nothing impressive but i was able to verify them out to 1080 yards. I don’t have a lot of experience with Barnes but I’m wondering from those who do, how do they perform at lower impact velocities at longer ranges? Will they still expand or will you be risking the pencil affect? At sub 2000fps?

Coloradoboy
For almost two decades all I shot in my hunting rifles were Barnes Bullets. I went to school with Randy Brooks, who owned Barnes and started the whole x bullet movement. Over that 20 year period I never had a bad experience with them. That's one of the reasons I've been slow to jump on the Berger bandwagon.
But this was before range finders and LR turrets and such and my experience is based on shooting animals at 400 yds and under. I never penciled an animal but I also never found a bullet, because they always penetrated completely through the animal and most were DRT. That's also why I've been testing Hammers lately because they are designed to come apart a bit more than Barnes.

That doesn't answer your question, but it is a piece of info for you. I still use TTSXs in two of my hunting rifles with confidence. I guess if you are concerned about penciling, I'd aim for bone! With .25 MOA, you can hit pretty much whatever you want! ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom