6.5PRC Christensen Arms

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
My son turns 12 next month and has his first antelope hunt in New Mexico this August. I just started the paperwork on a bronze finish Mesa Christensen Arms chambered in 6.5PRC 24". I like the lighter shoot ability of 6.5 cartridge but I like it's versatility for elk, a hybrid type crossover. Anyone have experience with this rifle or the cartridge? Pro's and Con's? I see this being used primarily for deer with the occasional elk opportunity. I also need to top this gun with a scope for him. His budget will be about $500.00 this time around. I seen a Vortex Viper 6-24 x50MM on the classifieds for $600.00. Looks like it retails for around $1k. Looking for any feedback

Good choice, just shot a muley buck in New Mexico with that same rifle and vortex scope set up at 360 yds dropped in his tracks. I don't know how big is your 12 yr old son is but it's a lot of rifle, will you be adding a bi pod ?

Sounds like a great choice although I still have trouble picking that caliber over my 270. Ballistically the 270 is flatter shooting, retains more energy and outshines the 6.5 in everything except wind drift when comparing similar bullets. https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6-5-creedmoor-versus-270-winchester/

270 ammunition is everywhere and is generally cheaper than 6.5. There is also reduced recoil ammo if you want to start light.

As far as scopes, I have always used Leupold and they have never let me down. Warranty is every bit as good as Vortex. I just bought my wife the VX 3i and am very happy with it. Picked up a NIB for $300. https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-3i-3-5-10x40mm-Riflescope/dp/B087ZJ7NM2

So bottom line is they are both great rifles but the 6.5 is the darling new kid on the block. It would be a great choice and has a milder. recoil (standard ammo) than the 270. I bought my 270 when I was 16 (62 now) and it is still my “go to gun” ?

Good choice, just shot a muley buck in New Mexico with that same rifle and vortex scope set up at 360 yds dropped in his tracks. I don't know how big is your 12 yr old son is but it's a lot of rifle, will you be adding a bi pod ?
Yes, I would like to put a bi-pod on it.

12-14 more grains of powder in the 270 over the 6.5 Creed yielding more recoil with less inherent accuracy over the 6.5s. And you gain slightly more energy down range. What am I missing here?

I thought about the CA Mesa in that exact configuration. I read enough reviews about them that I changed my mind to the Browning HCLR. I'm still playing with the cartridge, but so far I like it.

12-14 more grains of powder in the 270 over the 6.5 Creed yielding more recoil with less inherent accuracy over the 6.5s. And you gain slightly more energy down range. What am I missing here?

Not entirely true on the accuracy statement, especially at shot distances for real life hunt scenarios.

A 150 gr bullet will have comparable recoil with the additional powder compared to the 140 gr 6.5 CM. Also, the cartridge of topic is a 6.5 PRC, so essentially a 6.5 WSM, and likely the same type of felt recoil as the 270 with 12-14 grs more of powder.

I own the Mesa in 6.5 PRC and I absolutely love mine! I personally went with a Leupold VX-5HD as Leupold has never let me down, invented the Cadillac warranty and is made right here in America. I am getting .75" groups consistently with factory Hornady ELD-X and hand loaded 140 grain Accubonds with RL-26 are clocking in at 3050 fps with no pressure. I still need to play with Accubond load but that would be great elk medicine IMO! A lot of guys are getting around 3k fps with the new 156 grain Berger if you'd like to stretch it's legs a bit. Great round and gun, you won't regret it.

Not entirely true on the accuracy statement, especially at shot distances for real life hunt scenarios.

A 150 gr bullet will have comparable recoil with the additional powder compared to the 140 gr 6.5 CM. Also, the cartridge of topic is a 6.5 PRC, so essentially a 6.5 WSM, and likely the same type of felt recoil as the 270 with 12-14 grs more of powder.

Accuracy is accuracy regardless of hunting or competition. I'm sure you already know that just about NO ONE uses .277 caliber for precision, bench or long range competition.

But like said before. Given the two choices of 6.5 Creed or 270 I would stick with the 6.5. I know the topic is 6.5 PRC (I own one). Just responding to that article from Ron Spomer.

Accuracy is accuracy regardless of hunting or competition. I'm sure you already know that just about NO ONE uses .277 caliber for precision, bench or long range competition.

But like said before. Given the two choices of 6.5 Creed or 270 I would stick with the 6.5. I know the topic is 6.5 PRC (I own one). Just responding to that article from Ron Spomer.

Don't confuse accuracy with precision. There is a difference.

Articles are also always about the preference of the author.

I can promise you, a .277 and a .264 have the same grouping potential at 500 yds, a realistic long range distance for elk.

All I know is that I killed a muley at 400 yards with my 270. I don’t shoot farther than that at game. And it shoots 3/4” at 100 yards. So for normal, practical hunting distances, in my hands the 270 is every bit as good. And when elk is being hunted, I like the little extra that the 270 gives me

That said a good friend has a 6.5 and loves his. It is a great cartridge. Just wanted to throw out there that, other than long range competitions, the 270’is every bit as good. And it’s generally much cheaper to shoot because ammo is cheap.

My wife shoots her 270 with 120 grain reduced recoil ammo and it kicks about like a 243

I would prob have a 6.5 myself if I didn’t already have a 17, 22, 222, 223, 243, 270, 308, 30’06, 7mm rem mag, and a 338 win mag!

Hi, my name is David, I am a gunoholic....

6.5 prc is a great cartridge. I hand loaded for my father in laws new prc with the 156 berger, Reloder 26 powder that got a 4 shot .235" 100yd group. Your rifle will need a fast twist to stabilize the 156 Berger's though.
I'd recommend a good muzzle break to make it more comfortable and build his confidence. The Ultradyne Apollo Max break is awesome.
Heres a dope chart of the 6.5 prc loads hes running. Pretty impressive energy and velocity evan at 1000yds. Not saying to shoot that far but you'll guide him ethically.

Screenshot_20200527-214806_Strelok Pro.jpg

6.5 prc is a great cartridge. I hand loaded for my father in laws new prc with the 156 berger, Reloder 26 powder that got a 4 shot .235" 100yd group. Your rifle will need a fast twist to stabilize the 156 Berger's though.
I'd recommend a good muzzle break to make it more comfortable and build his confidence. The Ultradyne Apollo Max break is awesome.
Heres a dope chart of the 6.5 prc loads hes running. Pretty impressive energy and velocity evan at 1000yds. Not saying to shoot that far but you'll guide him ethically.

View attachment 7478

Very impressive ballistics. But to get those numbers, shooting that size bullet, the recoil would have to go up considerably. Thus the possible need for the muzzle brake. But with a muzzle brake the recoil is negligible regardless of caliber. I have one on my 7 mag and it kicks about like a 243. But never ever shoot one without hearing protection!

Last edited:
The 6.5prc is a great choice for a young hunter to start with and grow with. And with the right bullets and shot placement it will get the job done on elk. As for scopes you can't go wrong with Vortex or Leupold.

My son turns 12 next month and has his first antelope hunt in New Mexico this August. I just started the paperwork on a bronze finish Mesa Christensen Arms chambered in 6.5PRC 24". I like the lighter shoot ability of 6.5 cartridge but I like it's versatility for elk, a hybrid type crossover. Anyone have experience with this rifle or the cartridge? Pro's and Con's? I see this being used primarily for deer with the occasional elk opportunity. I also need to top this gun with a scope for him. His budget will be about $500.00 this time around. I seen a Vortex Viper 6-24 x50MM on the classifieds for $600.00. Looks like it retails for around $1k. Looking for any feedback
To start I want to commend you for actively getting your son involved in hunting and the outdoors. Second, it sounds like you are setting him up to succeed with some quality gear. I wish you both luck on his upcoming hunt.
I bought a PRC at the end of 2019 & I love mine. It’s a great shooting rifle with both loads that I’ve ran through it.
You asked for pros & cons & I really don’t have any cons. Has your son been shooting for awhile? If so, what caliber? Depending on his size, he may not care for the felt recoil. It’s not terrible, but it may surprise you a little. As others said, a muzzle brake will help & they are inexpensive.
IMO I think you made an excellent choice. ??

That
I thought about the CA Mesa in that exact configuration. I read enough reviews about them that I changed my mind to the Browning HCLR. I'm still playing with the cartridge, but so far I like it.
Thats the exact rifle I was going to buy and they sold it, Browning HCLR, then he pulled out the 24" barrel CA Mesa and I was sold.

To start I want to commend you for actively getting your son involved in hunting and the outdoors. Second, it sounds like you are setting him up to succeed with some quality gear. I wish you both luck on his upcoming hunt.
I bought a PRC at the end of 2019 & I love mine. It’s a great shooting rifle with both loads that I’ve ran through it.
You asked for pros & cons & I really don’t have any cons. Has your son been shooting for awhile? If so, what caliber? Depending on his size, he may not care for the felt recoil. It’s not terrible, but it may surprise you a little. As others said, a muzzle brake will help & they are inexpensive.
IMO I think you made an excellent choice. ??

3TOE - The CA Mesa model comes with a stock muzzle brake. Is that good enough or do I need a custom one? He has shot the 6.5CM of his brothers with no problem (no brake) and he shot my buddy's MOA 28 Nosler 185 Berger with a brake as well. That gun weighs about 14 pounds with the NF scope on it and there was surprisingly no felt recoil, or very little ( btw that gun was bad to the bone but it tips the scale at about 10k USD), not a practical mountain rifle for me and def not for him - not too mention the price. I see that Barnes makes a 120grain TTSX factory load and I have been historically a fan of the X bullet for penetration. I am sure there are so new options as well but Barnes has a good reputation for weight retention. Next Friday we pick up the gun and I still need to top it with a scope. Would be fun to dial something in where we could shoot 600-700 yards at the range.

View attachment 7478
Great chart and that's enough down range energy on paper to whack a buck at 1000 yards... Elk at 850 with that load. With a brake, is that round comfortable to shoot for a 12 year with a CA Mesa, Muzzle break, weighing in at about 8.5 with a scope?

3TOE - The CA Mesa model comes with a stock muzzle brake. Is that good enough or do I need a custom one? He has shot the 6.5CM of his brothers with no problem (no brake) and he shot my buddy's MOA 28 Nosler 185 Berger with a brake as well. That gun weighs about 14 pounds with the NF scope on it and there was surprisingly no felt recoil, or very little ( btw that gun was bad to the bone but it tips the scale at about 10k USD), not a practical mountain rifle for me and def not for him - not too mention the price. I see that Barnes makes a 120grain TTSX factory load and I have been historically a fan of the X bullet for penetration. I am sure there are so new options as well but Barnes has a good reputation for weight retention. Next Friday we pick up the gun and I still need to top it with a scope. Would be fun to dial something in where we could shoot 600-700 yards at the range.
Yes the supplied muzzle brake is perfect. I have a Christensen Ridgline & the brake on mine does help with the felt recoil.
It sounds like you will have a great set up for your son. I’ve been looking at the Barnes options as well, but I think I will stick to what I already have for this year since I’m running out of time before season. Best of luck to you both!

The 6.5PRC is a great cartridge and your son will enjoy it for sure.
Im not a fan of the radial brakes that come on the CA rifles or any radial brake really. From prone they will blow dust and debris all over.
If you hand load look at Hammer bullets for non lead.

I built a 6.5prc two years ago and it has become to be one of my favorites and has replaced my 6.5x284 and even the 300 rum in the elk woods. Thing flat hammers with 156 Bergers behind some retumbo.!

I built a 6.5prc two years ago and it has become to be one of my favorites and has replaced my 6.5x284 and even the 300 rum in the elk woods. Thing flat hammers with 156 Bergers behind some retumbo.!

Coloradoboy,

Mind sharing your Berger load? I tried them with H1000 in my PRC and I ran into pressure sooner than I thought I should have and the groups leading up to that were nothing to write home about.

All I know is that I killed a muley at 400 yards with my 270. I don’t shoot farther than that at game. And it shoots 3/4” at 100 yards. So for normal, practical hunting distances, in my hands the 270 is every bit as good. And when elk is being hunted, I like the little extra that the 270 gives me

That said a good friend has a 6.5 and loves his. It is a great cartridge. Just wanted to throw out there that, other than long range competitions, the 270’is every bit as good. And it’s generally much cheaper to shoot because ammo is cheap.

My wife shoots her 270 with 120 grain reduced recoil ammo and it kicks about like a 243
No denying the .270 is a capable round and has killed everything in North America. However the 6.5 prc will out perform the 270 win ballistically when it comes to retained muzzle velocities, ballistic coefficients and impact velocities. Primarily because the lack of high performance Bullets for the .277 class.You would have to run a 270wsm with a 170 grain Berger EOL to keep up with a 6.5prc running a 147 eldm or a 156 Berger. If you are a sub 400 to 500 yard guy that is good with .75 moa groups anything off the shelf will work. My last 2 cow elk have been shot with a 6mm creedmoor with 105 Bergers at ranges not worth discussing here and neither one of them made it 10 yards. Morale of the story is, pick a gun/caliber and shoot it accurately and often. Don’t matter if it’s a 6.5, 270 or an aught 6. Too many people get caught up in the magnum nonsense. A 100 grainer in the lungs is always more better than a 200 grainer in the guts as far as I’m concerned.

Coloradoboy,

Mind sharing your Berger load? I tried them with H1000 in my PRC and I ran into pressure sooner than I thought I should have and the groups leading up to that were nothing to write home about.
Coloradoboy,

What primer are you running?

57.2grains retumbo
Federal match 215 primer
.15 jump

Love the 6.5 PRC. I have a seekins Havak and it shoots crazy small groups with factory or handloads 143 ELDX. It has a brake and should be fine for your boy. Shot a 3/4 in 3 shot group at 400yds from prone the other day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom