6.5x284 loads

Weiserbucks

Very Active Member
Just picked up a 6.5x284 and need opinions on powder . Im torn between H4350 and H4831 . Iv heard good reports on both , just looking for more opinions . Rifle is a 700 LA , has a 26" bbl , will be loaded in Lapua brass , CCI BR primers and 140 grn bullets . Will be mostly a target rifle with the occasional coyote hunt as well .

I would try both powders but don't want to buy a pound of each for the development , only to turn around and buy an 8 lb jug of the winner . Im pretty confident that either will work , as for the 4831sc , it seems pretty scarce at most suppliers but I haven't ruled it out .

That's my load too exactly...I get 2950fps from a 26" barrel. It's a .5MOA load for my rifle and I haven't even messed much with seating depth yet.

>57 gr of Retumbo and 140
>Berger vld's is the magic
>potion in mine.

The only suitable powder I could get my hands on was H4831 . I have a few rounds loaded up with 140 VLD's , CCI LR BR primers and new Lapua brass . We're going to the range tomorrow , I'll report the results . I'm hoping the H4831 will produce good results , I could only get an 8 lb jug !

I've had good luck with H4831 SC ,but have recently switched to Norma mrp and have had great results. Over 3000 fps with a 27" barrel and single digit SD with 140gr bergers. I don't have my load data in front of me for exact velocities and charge weights.

Went to the range Friday and again Saturday . Accuracy was outstanding and single digit ES's . However , I didn't get the velocity I was hoping for . I ran into very obvious pressure signs at 2800 FPS with 51 grains of H4831 . I was expecting to get 2950 or so , Im going to experiment with some other powders to see if I can reach that speed safely . On a side note , went coyote calling Sunday and those mangy mutts hate 140 VLDs . All were taken at pretty close range but its still a great time .

I realize this is an older thread, but just to throw some info out there for anyone searching. In all of my 6.5X284's H4831SC has really made them shine. Generally the powder produces a little slower speeds, but has very low spreads and deviation. I've gotten good results in everything from 123 A-max's to 140 bergers and generally perform well at or just below maximum recommended charges. I usually seat the A-max and bergers .020 off the lands with fantastic results. I should also note that all of my rifles have had a 1:8 twist.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom