6.8 Western

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
Anyone tried this new 6.8 Western they say it is better than the 6.5 as it can use bigger bullets like 165-175 grains. And it is in between the 6.5 and a 7mm.

What is your take on this one is it good or just another new caliber

Yes it is but it can shoot bigger bullets than the .270 that is the difference and why I was wondering if anyone had shot it

Got you. There are several reviews on the net. Understand Winchester and Browning are currently offering rifles for sale. The reviews seem to be relatively positive especially with the higher grain bullets and necked down cases?

Definitely an improved version of the current crop of 270 rifles, if you are into long range shooting. You won't see much benefit inside 500-600 yards. .277 vs .284 bore diameter, I'd do a 7 of some flavor and have even more bullet choices.

It's so hard to beat the 7mm rem mag in that weight class...especially if you hand load. Not sure why you'd mess with these lighter hitters, IMO.

Lol. .017" bigger than a 6.5 and .007 smaller than a 7mm/.284. I suspect the only reason it hasn't been done before is because of the overwhelming redundancy.

But I guess a good Eskimo salesmen can sell snow......

It's basically the same thing as the 270 WSM except for the barrel twist to handle the heavier bullets. To avoid confusion, rather than making different rifles (different twist rate barrels) for the 270 WSM, they came out with a whole new cartridge. The theory seems pretty sound.
While I like the .277 caliber guns, I'll mostly stick with the .264 and .284 calibers because of the plethora of proven bullets available.
BUT... a guy doesn't need a good reason to put another rifle/cartridge in the stable!

Zeke

Well maybe there is ammo in the store for it....LOL

You can't even buy '06 Core Lokts for the usual $30/box +/- let alone a new hot rad caliber.

Winchester came out with a high end trap shell called black diamond something or another. It promises to be everything the AA is with the slight missing detail that it has a steel based hull as opposed to the brass based hull like on the AA's. Talk about HORRIBLE timing to launch a garbage shell......you can't get shotgun ammo let alone a brand new target shell with a new flashy box....but a STEEL BASED HULL!!!!!!

I'm currently building a fast twist 270WSM 1: 6.5 for the longer bullets... I can't wait to have it done...

I wonder what Jack O' Connor would say about this new 6.8 Western as he loved his .270 and shot everything with that caliber.
It would be an interesting conversation Though.

You can't even buy '06 Core Lokts for the usual $30/box +/- let alone a new hot rad caliber.

Winchester came out with a high end trap shell called black diamond something or another. It promises to be everything the AA is with the slight missing detail that it has a steel based hull as opposed to the brass based hull like on the AA's. Talk about HORRIBLE timing to launch a garbage shell......you can't get shotgun ammo let alone a brand new target shell with a new flashy box....but a STEEL BASED HULL!!!!!!
L1 you have a great point but when I go ammo shopping each week I see off calibers in stock so I was just thinking not too many people have one so maybe in stock?
That is crap about the steel based hull I wonder how that effects the performance of the shell. Especially if you shoot in competition.

L1 you have a great point but when I go ammo shopping each week I see off calibers in stock so I was just thinking not too many people have one so maybe in stock?
That is crap about the steel based hull I wonder how that effects the performance of the shell. Especially if you shoot in competition.

Ya I've done pretty well the last few months on some of the magnum cartridges. But a brand new cartridge, not sure inventory would be out there yet?

Steel based hulls don't hinder performance. But they are harder on your gun than brass based hulls. Also brass hulls can be reloaded much better while steel based hulls (typically cheaper) not so much.

It is a cartridge I looked at hard. Seems it will probably be a great hunting cartridge.
But, I went with the 6.5 PRC.
The 6.8 western isn't likely to be around very long. Not enough rifle companies offering it, and not enough options in rifle types to choose from.
Not enough brass companies making brass for it either. Definitely not enough factory ammo choices, even without the crazy ammo shortages we see now.
The PRC won't out shoot it, but you can buy a 6.5 PRC rifle from most all companies that build rifles, production and custom.
Many can be had for less than $500 bucks.
Once the general population has a certain percentage of PRC owners the ammo companies will offer more options in factory ammo. There are already several companies making brass.

Only problem is the current situation sucks to find ammo or components to load anything, right now.
Hopefully it gets better in a few months.

I'm waiting to see what happens with this caliber, i really want one as It seems like a one size fits all from elk to coyotes. If it takes off and ammo is plentiful I'll be buying a hells canyon xbolt, I saw some ammo @ $60 a box in stock at sportsmans warehouse.

I'm waiting to see what happens with this caliber, i really want one as It seems like a one size fits all from elk to coyotes. If it takes off and ammo is plentiful I'll be buying a hells canyon xbolt, I saw some ammo @ $60 a box in stock at sportsmans warehouse.
Curious if they will ever hit the shelves.

It’s a cartridge and here in utah the ammo for the 6.8 western is plentiful at this time…

Should find ammo for the 6.8 now.
But, once the current pile is gone it may not see manufacture again for a long time, or by many at all.
Extremely tough to get reloading components for too. I doubt that will get better.
Shame, it is very interesting cartridge design.

I have a coworker who has bought 2 of the hells canyon rifles. I know one has a longer barrel than the other. But anyway he bought a ton of the winchester and browning ammo when it was $40 a box. His personal experience is the browning ammo shot better groups.

Cool round but i dont think it will be a big player like the 6.5 prc and .300 prc. Even the military has picked up the .300 prc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom