6 creedmore muley gun

mnhunter102

Looking at building a new mule deer and pronghorn gun, have my eye on the 6mm Creedmoor. Anyone have some good success? And your favorite ribs through it?

That's what I am planning on using this year. Got it last year, and have used it for coyotes. I have bought a variety of rounds to try through it, and to build my brass for reloading. One thing to watch for, half of my rounds use large rifle primers, and the other half are small rifle primers. I should have paid closer attention. I just got a new Arken scope for it. I need to go out and get it dialed.

Love mine so far. Only killed javelina with it but its a great round. My brother killed an antelope in Wyoming with his and it didn't take a step. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk with it, especially cows. although i'd personally keep elk under 400 yards or so. I'm running 105 grain berger vld hunting bullets through it. Not running mine crazy hot just to help with barrel life. I've got mine rigged up to mount directly to my tripod so my oldest can use it this fall in texas for his first hunt. I'm a fan of the round for sure.

I'm in the process of building a 22 Creedmoor and I'm reading lots of guys are using them for deer and antelope as well, with heavy for caliber projectiles. No reason the 6mm variety won't perform well with the right bullet and conditions.

I have two 6mm Creed's. Both are over 12lbs, so I've never really considered taking them mule deer hunting. One is an AR10 that I built and the other is a bolt action. A combination of their heavy weight and supressors makes them an absolute pleasure to shoot.

I have shot a number of coyotes and a couple pronghorn with them. Both pronghorn were shot with 115gr Bergers. Both pronghorn were hit in the shoulder. One at about 250 yards and one at about 450 yards. Both bullets passed completely through but one was stopped by the offside hide and didn't exit. I've thought about getting an ultralight 6mm built. It would be a fantastic catridge for coues deer.

I did shoot a big mule deer buck in the shoulder with a 243 win at less than 150 yards. It dropped him on the spot but when I got up to him, he was still kicking and I had to put another bullet in him. It wouldn't have been an issue if I used a different bullet, larger cartridge or didn't shoot him in the shoulder. The cartridge would certainly work for mule deer or elk but you would have to be more careful about the shot angle, especially if you are shooting longer ranges. If I was going to hunt bigger animals with it, I would use something with better penetration like barnes or hammer bullets.

The 6 creed has got a lot of attention due to its success on the target range. I'm sure this will cause guys to look to apply it to the hunt. I love my 243 and have taken antelope and whitetail with the Bergers with great success. Just think there are better rounds for mule deer and elk. Only because and shots happen.

I’ve only had mine for a year. Took 2 whitetails with it. Both using 108 ELDM. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for mule deer and plan on taking it to NM for elk this year.
I plan on using ELDM’s or 105 Berger’s

If you’re a handloader, look at a 6GT. The 6 creed is great, but will burn a barrel up quickly.

I love my 6 Creed, and use it for antelope and Coues deer. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use it for elk. Mule deer maybe, but not the big old bucks. And yes, I know it will kill, but it is definitely light for the larger animals, and there are much better choices available.
I will restrict mine to shooting animals weighing under 250 pounds or so, and know the results will be fantastic.
Bill

There’s a a thread over on Rokslide with them using an 6CM, 6UM, and 6XC to 900 yards on elk. Upon viewing the results I think it will be fine even on the biggest mule deer. Lol. Bullet choice matters.

Yes, and W.D. Bell killed over 1,000 elephants with a 7x57 mauser. That doesn't mean it is the best choice for today's elephant hunters.

I acknowledged just about anything will kill. The 6 Creed is not the best choice for large game, which seems hard to dispute.

I use the ELDX and have had excellent results on lighter game. I know that every year thousands of animals are culled with 22LR. That doesn't mean it is some magically new great hunting round.

We are not talking about some poor native trying to find one gun that "works" in all scenarios. Match the round to the game you are after seems like sound advice in every case. Most of us on these forums can afford at least a couple rifles.

Proving that you can kill with ANY cartridge is hardly convincing. Let the masses start using a cartridge not well suited to the task at hand and you will see wounding rates sky rocket.

Bill

Yes, and W.D. Bell killed over 1,000 elephants with a 7x57 mauser. That doesn't mean it is the best choice for today's elephant hunters.

I acknowledged just about anything will kill. The 6 Creed is not the best choice for large game, which seems hard to dispute.

I use the ELDX and have had excellent results on lighter game. I know that every year thousands of animals are culled with 22LR. That doesn't mean it is some magically new great hunting round.

We are not talking about some poor native trying to find one gun that "works" in all scenarios. Match the round to the game you are after seems like sound advice in every case. Most of us on these forums can afford at least a couple rifles.

Proving that you can kill with ANY cartridge is hardly convincing. Let the masses start using a cartridge not well suited to the task at hand and you will see wounding rates sky rocket.

Bill
I disagree. I’d rather have somebody that shoots a 243 very well than someone who’s trigger shy, shooting a 300 win mag. I bet you $100 bill. You wouldn’t see a bit difference in wounding loss. A poorly shot and wounded elk with a 300 win mag is still going to be poorly shot and wounded. Larger cartridges do not make up for poor shots.
I would stay away from the outdated advice of using a tough bullet in an 6CM and use something like a Nosler ballistic tip, 108 ELDM, 105 or 108 berger.
Trigger warning alert: if you don’t like the 6Creedmoor’s stay away from Rokslide in the thread of people shooting everything from moose, elk, deer, bear, and antelope with a 223 with a 77 TMK. Again bullet choice matters

I love my 6 Creed, and use it for antelope and Coues deer. I'm not sure why anyone would want to use it for elk. Mule deer maybe, but not the big old bucks. And yes, I know it will kill, but it is definitely light for the larger animals, and there are much better choices available.
I will restrict mine to shooting animals weighing under 250 pounds or so, and know the results will be fantastic.
Bill
Couldn't have said it better myself. You can use it to effectively kill an elk or big muley buck, even at longer ranges but there are better choices out there.

I disagree. I’d rather have somebody that shoots a 243 very well than someone who’s trigger shy, shooting a 300 win mag. I bet you $100 bill. You wouldn’t see a bit difference in wounding loss. A poorly shot and wounded elk with a 300 win mag is still going to be poorly shot and wounded. Larger cartridges do not make up for poor shots.
I would stay away from the outdated advice of using a tough bullet in an 6CM and use something like a Nosler ballistic tip, 108 ELDM, 105 or 108 berger.
Trigger warning alert: if you don’t like the 6Creedmoor’s stay away from Rokslide in the thread of people shooting everything from moose, elk, deer, bear, and antelope with a 223 with a 77 TMK. Again bullet choice matters
I completely agree that somebody shooting a 243 is much better than someone with a 300 win who is "trigger shy." It still doesn't make a 243 or 6mm Creed a better choice for elk than a 300 win. I've shot deer with everything from a 223 rem to a 338 lapua. With a well placed shot, at a reasonable range for that cartridge/bullet, deer and elk will die quickly from either cartridge.

Long range shooting should only be done with larger cartridges. Small cartridges just can't maintain energy/velocity at longer ranges. Unless you can shoot 1/2 MOA at an elk under field conditions, you shouldn't even consider a 6mm creed for elk at 900 yards. 900 is also beyond the limit for reliable bullet expansion for most bullets/barrel/load combinations for a 6mm creed.

I don’t have too much experience with whitetail, but why do people differentiate between calibers that are good for whitetail and calibers that are good for muleys? Seems like a mature whitetail can be big bodied too, but many say a 243/6mm is great for whitetail but a little small for mule deer.

I don’t have too much experience with whitetail, but why do people differentiate between calibers that are good for whitetail and calibers that are good for muleys? Seems like a mature whitetail can be big bodied too, but many say a 243/6mm is great for whitetail but a little small for mule deer.
Are your whities this big?

IMG_2818.jpg

Granted most of my whitetail and muley experience is in western Kansas. They are close enough it doesn’t matter. Killed many with .308, .243, 22-250, and .223 out to 500ish
Even if they’re 50-60 pounds more it doesn’t change the body dimensions enough to matter.

Are your whities this big?

View attachment 113035
Nice buck. I don’t know how much that deer weighs or the difference in hide thickness and bone density compared to a mature whitetail. Again I am not to familiar with whitetail but I do understand they are vastly different in Saskatchewan as compared to coues in Arizona. I’ve never really seen anything that has made me believe mule deer can take being shot better than mature whitetail. A good shot is a good shot and a bad shot is a bad shot. I just think thousands of big mule deer have been shot and killed with a .243 shooting 85gr in a slow twist barrel just fine. Great buck but I would be confident it would have died just fine with a 6mm 105hyb. And I still love my 300win

Nice buck. I don’t know how much that deer weighs or the difference in hide thickness and bone density compared to a mature whitetail. Again I am not to familiar with whitetail but I do understand they are vastly different in Saskatchewan as compared to coues in Arizona. I’ve never really seen anything that has made me believe mule deer can take being shot better than mature whitetail. A good shot is a good shot and a bad shot is a bad shot. I just think thousands of big mule deer have been shot and killed with a .243 shooting 85gr in a slow twist barrel just fine. Great buck but I would be confident it would have died just fine with a 6mm 105hyb. And I still love my 300win
A big northern whitetail buck is no different than a big mule deer buck. Most whitetail bucks killed in the US are significantly smaller than a mature mule deer buck and the shot distance is also considerably closer on most whitetail bucks.

Comparing a Coues whitetail to a mule deer buck is like comparing a coyote to a wolf. There is is a significant difference in size.

I've shot a big mule deer buck in the shoulder with a 243. It lacked the penetration. I had to walk up to it and shoot it again. If I had shot it with my 300 win mag, it would have been dead shortly after the first shot.

I actually agree with you and littlebighorn. Bigger guns give you more wiggle room for error. I guess my point is I think bullet selection and shot placement is probably more important than caliber. I shot a muley with my 300 last year and had to shoot him again as he hobbled away because I made a poor shot. A friend of mine had a big bodied muley shot with a 243 with a 105 Berger over 500 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground.

A big northern whitetail buck is no different than a big mule deer buck. Most whitetail bucks killed in the US are significantly smaller than a mature mule deer buck and the shot distance is also considerably closer on most whitetail bucks.

Comparing a Coues whitetail to a mule deer buck is like comparing a coyote to a wolf. There is is a significant difference in size.

I've shot a big mule deer buck in the shoulder with a 243. It lacked the penetration. I had to walk up to it and shoot it again. If I had shot it with my 300 win mag, it would have been dead shortly after the first shot.
Oh lord here we go. Not only are elk shoulders bulletproof, mule deer’s are to now,
???

Oh lord here we go. Not only are elk shoulders bulletproof, mule deer’s are to now,
???
I was just using it as an example of why the 243 or 6mm Creed may not be the best choice for large mule deer bucks. You can absolutely kill deer or elk with a 243 win or 6mm Creed. Many of us just prefer something a little larger because a larger cartridge will make a difference.

You also typed "Killed many with .308, .243, 22-250, and .223 out to 500ish" Are you seriously saying a 223 for 500 yards at a deer is a good idea?

For a 500 yard shot on a big muley buck or big whitetail buck, would you rather have a 223 or a 308?

Last edited:
I know a guy that dumps wild burros with a 243. Supposedly the corelockts hammer them out to 400 yards.
I'm sure it works well. If I was in Australia culling wild burros, I would also choose a gun that is more enjoyable to shoot. While target practicing, I can enjoy shooting 100+ rounds from my 6mm Creed but have never had the desire to shoot 100+ rounds from my 300 win or 338 lapua in a single day.

I'm still not taking a 243 win or a 6mm Creed elk hunting when I have better choices.

I actually agree with you and littlebighorn. Bigger guns give you more wiggle room for error. I guess my point is I think bullet selection and shot placement is probably more important than caliber. I shot a muley with my 300 last year and had to shoot him again as he hobbled away because I made a poor shot. A friend of mine had a big bodied muley shot with a 243 with a 105 Berger over 500 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground.
Totally agree that shot placement is more important than caliber. A grizzly bear was killed in Alaska with a 22 LR. I'm not packing a 22 LR in bear country when I have better choices.

I was just using it as an example of why the 243 or 6mm Creed may not be the best choice for large mule deer bucks. You can absolutely kill deer or elk with a 243 win or 6mm Creed. Many of us just prefer something a little larger because a larger cartridge will make a difference.

You also typed "Killed many with .308, .243, 22-250, and .223 out to 500ish" Are you seriously saying a 223 for 500 yards at a deer is a good idea?

For a 500 yard shot on a big muley buck or big whitetail buck, would you rather have a 223 or a 308?
I guess it kind of depends. There are people that I don’t think it’s a good idea when they take 100 yards shots a with a 300 WM.
If I am forced to use some type of mono bullet, I wouldn’t take a 500 shot with any of those calibers.
If I get to use a Berger, Sierra Tmk, ELD-M or X’s, I would take either.

I will also say I don’t enjoy recoil. Maybe that makes me a Sally or weenie, I don’t know, but I would much rather be able to take my 308, 243, 6CM out and burn through 50 rounds of practice ammo in a day and hopefully become better at shooting, reading wind, etc then shoot less and hope the larger cartridge makes up for the lack of practice.
Maybe if I had an identical set up, I could practice with one and hunt with the other I would feel differently.
I have a friend who always wants to shoot a deer farther and further every year. He started out with an 7RM, then 300 win mag, that wasn’t enough so now he has a 338 Lapua. Wants to shoot a deer at 1000 yards. I don’t think that’s a good idea, for multiple reasons. Increasing cartridge size has not made him any better of a shooter. In fact, I will say the opposite.

Antelope if you load 80-90 grain bullets. Mule deer if you load the heavier ones. I'll get bashed for this but I don't give a **** about BC or 1000 yard shots. I want flat and fast. Antelope are a small target and 5 inch difference in drop between 300 and 350 yards matters. I don't want to be re-reaching for my range finder every time an animal moves.

My nephew has a 243 winchester with a Shilen 8 twist that I reload for. The rifle really likes the 105
VLD berger, he harvested a nice mature
5x6 bull @ 250 yards couple seasons back. One shot in the lungs, dead elk. His reason for using the 243 and not his larger elk magnum rifle that season was due to recovering from shoulder rotator cuff surgery. The little 243 worked great on that hunt.

I absolutely love mine. I’ve got two of them now and they are absolute tack drivers and fun shoot. The last one shoots the Hornady match 108eldm factory ammo so well I don’t even bother to reload but I’ve had really good success with the 105 and 109 bergers paired with H4350 over the years. It’s a great predator, deer/antelope gun. Took a cow elk with one of them a couple years ago with ease. I was a big 25-06 fan years ago and the 6mm creed has essentially replaced the 25-06 for me. Currently finishing up a 25 creedmoor build…
IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0221.jpeg
69126227141__C94578B5-FEEA-4C71-BB46-65EAC31745DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I will also say I don’t enjoy recoil. Maybe that makes me a Sally or weenie, I don’t know, but I would much rather be able to take my 308, 243, 6CM out and burn through 50 rounds of practice ammo in a day and hopefully become better at shooting, reading wind, etc then shoot less and hope the larger cartridge makes up for the lack of practice.
Maybe if I had an identical set up, I could practice with one and hunt with the other I would feel differently.
I have a friend who always wants to shoot a deer farther and further every year. He started out with an 7RM, then 300 win mag, that wasn’t enough so now he has a 338 Lapua. Wants to shoot a deer at 1000 yards. I don’t think that’s a good idea, for multiple reasons. Increasing cartridge size has not made him any better of a shooter. In fact, I will say the opposite.
Your friend doesn't understand ballistics. And Rokslide is the last place I'd get info from. mtmuley

I could only read through a few of these before I had to skip to the bottom….let’s say you have one job, break an arm say. Or kill an animal cleanly. Two choices grab a little claw hammer swing as hard as you can. Might break the arm most the time. Or grab a 5lb sledge hammer and do the same… broken everytime. Stupid analogy I know, but why chance it. I’ve been down the 6.5 or smaller road and granted you can get it done most the time…most is the key word. I get you still have to hit where you’re aiming either way, but when it does hit I want a guarantee everytime. #300 ultra ?‍♂️. Another one, I coooould pull my heavy trailer around with a 1/2 ton pickup… probably get it kinda mostly around for the most part, or I could just hook up the diesel and be good to go. Whyyyyyy people why ?. It only takes one 200” buck that walks away after those small cartridges to forever change your mind.

The large bore, small bore argument has been around since the Jack O'Connor-Elmer Keith days, and that's before most MMers were born. O'Connor was all about "shoot in the right place with the right bullet", and Keith was about "swing the biggest hammer and hittem in the butt and they'll be just as dead."
Things haven't changed much. Well except now we are shooting 1000yds, instead of 300. ?

Ok only one more, your dream celeb… he, she, them… never know anymore…#?️‍?. No more on that…?‍♂️. You can pick, you have a 4” whatever it is you use. Might work ?‍♂️. Or a 12” you betcha. I apologize in an advance but whyyyyy! I can start a fire with flint n steel, but I have a torch in the corner. I’d use the torch if it was down to the nitty gritty.

Ok only one more, your dream celeb… he, she, them… never know anymore…#?️‍?. No more on that…?‍♂️. You can pick, you have a 4” whatever it is you use. Might work ?‍♂️. Or a 12” you betcha. I apologize in an advance but whyyyyy! I can start a fire with flint n steel, but I have a torch in the corner. I’d use the torch if it was down to the nitty gritty.
Well said! Lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom