652 mule deer

bighamr

Hey all,
Drew the 652 mule deer tag and was wanting to chat with anyone that has hunted it in the last few years. I know they raised the tags a couple years ago, and I wanted to hear some of your thoughts on the numbers. PM if you’d like to chat about it with me.
Thank you!

They raised the tag number this year to 200, so it wasn't just a couple of years ago.

There are a ton of deer in the unit but there are roads nearly everywhere . Having said that, there may be a 170 buck somewhere 652 and you may get a chance at it. I have spent a ton of time on the ground in this unit the past two years. It is close to home, I can tell you I find as good of quality of bucks elsewhere, even in Region 6. Just my opinion so take if for what it worth. Also I didn't apply or draw so I am not trying to tell you not to come. Come and enjoy, spend some money, enjoy a hunt but my advice is tamp down expectations.

Nemont

They raised the tag number this year to 200, so it wasn't just a couple of years ago.

There are a ton of deer in the unit but there are roads nearly everywhere . Having said that, there may be a 170 buck somewhere 652 and you may get a chance at it. I have spent a ton of time on the ground in this unit the past two years. It is close to home, I can tell you I find as good of quality of bucks elsewhere, even in Region 6. Just my opinion so take if for what it worth. Also I didn't apply or draw so I am not trying to tell you not to come. Come and enjoy, spend some money, enjoy a hunt but my advice is tamp down expectations.

Nemont
Thanks for the response Nemont, I only live an hour and a half away and do quite a bit of walleye fishing out of rock creek so I’ll be scouting all summer. I’ve got some buddies out of Glasgow that have hunted it recently as well. Your comments are spot on for what I’ve seen and heard! Thanks again.

Thanks for the response Nemont, I only live an hour and a half away and do quite a bit of walleye fishing out of rock creek so I’ll be scouting all summer. I’ve got some buddies out of Glasgow that have hunted it recently as well. Your comments are spot on for what I’ve seen and heard! Thanks again.
We have taken some big eyes from peck over the yrs

I drew the tag also. I think it just went to 200 tags in 2021. But that is double from just a couple years when it was around 100 or less.
I do not see how with double the tags it can maintain what it was but I have never been there so I know nothing other than from my cousin and a couple that have hunted it but not last year. I booked a cabin there at the dam for second week in November for 8 days after my second season CO deer hunt is done and will be spending a couple days there in July to get a lay of the land.

The FWP doesn't want to maintain it as a trophy area, they use the excuse that they are worried about CWD wiping out the deer so instead they will wipe out the deer by giving out 200 buck tags and 100 mule deer doe tags. I wish they would turn over mosquito control in the Milk River Valley to the MTFWP, pretty soon wouldn't have any of them either.

Fishing for Walleyes in Fort Peck is far more productive than hunting Mule Deer Bucks in 652 IMO.

Nemont

I was afraid that was the answer for the greatly increased tags. There is no way a buck can make it more than three or four years with 200 tags in there. The terrain is far to open for a mature buck three or older to have any chance it seems unless they stay under a bush for a couple months and do not move.

no where in the Montana regs does it say they have to manage for quality.
The majority of Montana residents care more about opportunity then they do quality
Not everybody cares about antlers hanging on the wall, they want a freezer full of wild game Not a wall full of antlers or bragging rights about killing a 30+ inch mule deer

Until Montana changes the rules I'll keep killing the first one I see ,You can count on it not ashamed of it and I don't hide that fact never have never will

I have zero problems with what quality of buck you choose to take. I have a big issue with not managing this one, fairly small unit for a CHANCE at a trophy quality Mule Deer buck. Nowhere in the regs does it say every unit has to be a general unit, nowhere do the regs stop the FWP from reserving a single unit for an even OIL chance.

All I would ask is for one small hunting district to be left to guys/gals who would like an opportunity at a decent buck. Going from 25 tags to 200 in a decade isn't management.

Nemont

My brother and I drew it back when there were 50 tags but he selected to receive a refund for his general tag if he didn’t draw special elk so we had permits but no tags. Dumbest system in the world. Ended up getting them to restore our points and have been putting in up till last year and bailed when they went to 200 tags. If you look at the number of townships vs tags in there the hunter density is higher in there then it is in the other general units.

That is what I am afraid of, looking at all those draws along both sides of the lake there are probably more overlooked spots that only get a look or two a year and further from a road than 652 has now with 200 tags now.

Hunted it a few years back when my Dad, Brother, and Nephew drew it on a party application.

Really neat area and it was fun because there weren't people all over the place. We saw a lot of bucks, pretty much the same type/quality you would find in most general areas just way more of them.

It will be a joke with 200 tags and what quality and age classes there were then, will be crap now.

Here's the deer they shot, ages were done via tooth samples.

This one was the youngest deer, 4.5

photo0_7.jpg

These were both 6.5:

photo0_11.jpg

photo0_12_1.jpg

Like everything else in Montana, just not allowed to have nice things anymore. I hope the guys posting that drew it, didn't blow a bunch of points to draw it. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be with 200 tags.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies gents. Only burnt a few points on it, low risk for hopefully a good reward. Know the unit a bit already and have some time this summer to find some bucks, it’ll be fun regardless. Had a WY tag last year that everybody said wasn’t worth the points and got “Lucky” with a good buck. We’ll see if we can squeak another good one out this year!
I’ll let you all know who contributed here how it goes. Thanks again.

What "rules" would you like Montana to change? mtmuley
i don't want them to change any muley but you and the rest of the crew over at hunt talk sure do can't have the no good rotten opportunity hunters/non residents killing all those future monster bucks
i find it funny your over at hunt talk running mm in the ground rambling on how terrible this sight is, all a bunch of poachers, no one here knows half of what they claim but yet here you are
ABSALUTELY HILARIOUS
stay over on hunt talk muley

The majority of Montana residents care more about opportunity then they do quality
Not everybody cares about antlers hanging on the wall, they want a freezer full of wild game Not a wall full of antlers or bragging rights about killing a 30+ inch mule deer
You sure about that?

I've hunted Montana, every single season since 1979, my family since the early 1900's. Many friends as long or longer than I have.

While I agree that not everyone is interested in antlers, there are at least as many that do care about having higher buck to doe ratio's, more representation in age classes past 2.5-3.5 years, etc.

The last poll that was conducted was very leading that the FWP used to come up with the crap that all hunters in Montana care about is opportunity. Not to mention it was conducted right around 2000-2001.

Pretty lame to base management decisions off a leading poll conducted over 20 years ago.

Also ridiculous to not change season length or management since at least 1957 as if the world hasn't changed in the State since then,.

Sell crazy somewhere else...

Last edited:
i don't want them to change any muley but you and the rest of the crew over at hunt talk sure do can't have the no good rotten opportunity hunters/non residents killing all those future monster bucks
i find it funny your over at hunt talk running mm in the ground rambling on how terrible this sight is, all a bunch of poachers, no one here knows half of what they claim but yet here you are
ABSALUTELY HILARIOUS
I'll hang out where I want and say whatever I want to. mtmuley

Last edited:
ABSALUTELY HILARIOUS

Ultimag,

Like I said, I don't care what kind of buck you decide to hang your tag on, it is your tag use it as you wish. If you truly want nothing to change, then let's go back to HD 652 with 25 tags, you know before the FWP changed it. Then you can still hunt any general unit and there would be one, rather small unit dedicated to the chance of drawing a tag and getting a chance at a mature buck. You would lose nothing since obviously you don't hunt in draw only units.

But I get it you would rather argue over which site is right or wrong, bash anyone who doesn't agree with you and still demand YOUR opportunity to hunt only the bucks you want to hunt.

Nemont

Ultimag,

You need some therapy or some intervention when you start making up quotes like the one you did.

Nemont

Last edited:
Hey all,
Drew the 652 mule deer tag and was wanting to chat with anyone that has hunted it in the last few years. I know they raised the tags a couple years ago, and I wanted to hear some of your thoughts on the numbers. PM if you’d like to chat about it with me.
Thank you!
I saw a giant buck in there when I was fishing over the weekend and another probably mid 170s to low 180s muley the other day driving as well

You could start your own website and call it www.dinkydeerproud.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom