66 2nd or 22 3rd Deer

tmbr_hntr

It's time to burn my points and have pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 units. I know the 22 3rd "could" be better, but not sure it fits my hunting style. I'm a pretty die hard backcountry hunter that really hates hunting around a lot of folks and roads. I "think" I could have a lot more room to myself on the 66 hunt, but it would likely be a little harder to find deer.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the 22 3rd would be that much better to deal with all the people and roads everywhere?

I hunted 22 some years back 3rd season.
The biggest problem is all the 3rd season elk hunters driving all over the place...
Stick to your hunting style and go 66-2nd

Your not going to get away from the people in 22. If that is your sticking point I would avoid it.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

My son was having the same dilemma last year as you are now. We don't know anything about unit 22 but we're trying to decide between 44 and 66 second seasons.
We had always wanted to hurnt 44 because of its reputation So he drew that tag. We did see some bucks but nothing big and in hindsight would probably have done better in unit 66.
I think the bucks would be easier to find later in those units but if you're limited on preference points you've got to take what you can get. Have you considered a muzzleloader hunt? Keep doing your research and I'm sure the answer will come to you fairly quickly.
Good Luck

I'm mostly an archery hunter and could draw a good archery tag. I have 10 points, but I will be archery elk hunting from the end of August until early Oct. in multiple states. No time to chase deer during elk season. This will mostly be a chance to get my son out on another hunting adventure with me before he's all grown. Another reason I'm leaning towards 66. I took him on a unit 40 2nd season hunt last year and although he had fun it was not really our type of hunting. He would have rather been in the backcountry glassing than atv-ing around private property.

I think you answered your own question. You can not walk more than 1 mile in unit 22 without crossing or visually seeing a road. Tons of traffic from gas plant workers and elk hunters.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom