6a cow elk after Christmas

nmyotebuster

Evening all,

Just wondering how the weather looks up north? And I thought I would throw one more feeler out for a bit of info for my daughter's youth encouragement hunt after December.

Heading up tomorrow to do a bit of scouting, and get a better feel for how that area is this late in the year. Any areas I should wholly avoid due to bad roads, or anywhere I should make sure to look in on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NMYB

how was your scout? no snow recently in Jemez area so I am sure elk are still around!

good luck NMYB

vinihunt

>how was your scout? no snow
>recently in Jemez area so
>I am sure elk are
>still around!
>
>good luck NMYB
>
>vinihunt

Thanks! I went with NMYB scouting... we saw a young bobcat! First time seeing one! :) Sorry, no pics. Too long fumbling around trying to pull out the camera. I think we found some great areas to hunt and have a good plan for the hunt! More snow up in the mountains then we expected but they are in the lower stuff. Saw 9 cows with 1 or 2 calves! Looking forward to hunting with my niece after Christmas!

^ ^ ^
| | |

What he said.

That bobcat was a blast to see, and all 3 of the girls couldn't stop talking about it. Had it been older than this year's kitten, it would be at the taxidermist right now.

We have a spot or two picked out, and maybe a bit more snow up high will get all those ladies lined up so we can pick the most tender out of the bunch.

I couldn't ask for a better hunting partner than Biohzrd.

Thanks man for all the help, time, stories and lies. A better guy couldn't be found.

NMYB

Opening Morning,

-2 degrees, no wind, 10 minutes after legal shooting light.

4 cows standing 125 yds broadside, head down getting grass.

We put her on the shooting stix.

She aimed, and shot......

CLEAN MISS!!

We watched 30 or so cows and yearlings run for the hillside, and we gave chase on foot ( in 6+ inches of snow )and they just always seemed to be on the next ridge top going over to the other side.

Got about 50 yds shy of the next shot ( after 2 miles of chasing ), and had a pack of coyotes chase em off as we were getting ready to line her up again.

We saw them stop in a sage flat ~ 2 to 3 miles from us and it was back in the jeep to chase em. oops I think that rut may be a bit deep, YEP, an hour and 30 minutes later and alot of digging and we were back to camp for lunch.

IMG_1178.jpg

I should have had the picture with the jeep still stuck in it, but i was too busy cursing our luck.

That night we went back to the same area and only saw a lone 5x5 and a cow, and they were on there way out of dodge.

IMG_1192.jpg

She and her uncle watching the sun set.

Sunday morning we tried a new area, and within 30 minutes of shooting light we were on another herd, but while setting up on the rim rock to get her in position, a 2nd herd came from across the valley funneling out of a draw, and proceeded to run like the devil himself was on their tail, and our herd decided to run off with em. ( I have never seen near 100 elk hauling the mail, what a cool sight, though it meant no shot. )

IMG_1181.jpg

We chased these elk north over 2 miles and 4 or 5 draws and they NEVER slowed down, no chance for shots at all, but we did find the trail they had carved almost 12" into the ground and we thought we would sit this trail that night. We did, but no dice.

IMG_1190.jpg

Woke up today to a dead battery in the 5th wheel, and a generator that would not start, and since my bro-in-law had to be back to work, my daughter and I went off on our own, so he could pack up the trailer and get it home, while we hunted.

We saw 3 more cows this morning but they all seemed to have something much more important to attend to in southern colorado, and they were late.

Due to life getting in the way, we put this hunt in the books, as a learning experience for her and headed home this afternoon.

I am SOOO PROUD of this young lady, after missing, she NEVER gave up, she chased those elk harder than some men I have hunted with, and was up sat/sun/mon at 5 AM no complaints, and sat rimrock ridges as the sun came up, and the thermometer went down.
IMG_1188.jpg

We will get em next year dear!!!!!!

IMG_1198.jpg

Thanks for letting me share our experience with you all.

IMG_1187.jpg

NMYB and Daughter #2

nmyotebuster,

Congrats on having a great time with your daughter! In my opinion, you had a very successful hunt. What you experienced on this hunt is something that you and your daughter will never forget. Those great memories are documented well in the great photos you took and the words you shared with us. Even though you guys did not get an elk, you gained the best thing a daughter and father could ask for. Hunting buddies for life. I hope to see some pics and stories of you guys in future on other great hunts you share.

Crazyelk

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom