7.3 Ford Gaser

tailchasers

Long Time Member
My '04 Chevy Duramax is nickle and diming me more and more with the latest being worn injectors. Really not in the mood to fork out $6k to replace them and figured the money might be better spent on a something newer. Not really sold on getting another diesel so I've been looking at the newer Ford 7.3L gaser catching my interest. Figured with an opinionated group like we have here on MM I'd get all kinds of responses. So? What say you?? Any one driving one of these new big blocks?

Don't have one, yet. That will be my next truck. Unless you're pulling 15k+ regularly the diesels just don't make much sense. The new 10 speed is a real game changer, there is finally a viable option for guys that don't want to pay the $8500 extra for the diesel. Here is one with the 4.30's pulling 16k up I70 to the Eisenhower tunnel.

Hey Bess, you're wound too tight! I ordered a new Super Duty in March for my business and picked it up about a month ago. I ordered the 7.3 gas motor with 4.30 gears in an F350 and I'm very impressed. It has loads of power and tows a 12,000 pound trailer very well, no it won't beat a diesel but it's no slouch. Before you jump all over me Bess I also own a 17, 6.7 diesel so I know how impressive they are towing big loads. We have a 14, 6.2 gas Super Duty with 4.30 gears and 240,000 miles and all we've done to the motor is put in one set of spark plugs along with regular maintenance. The 7.3 tows way better than the 6.2 so far but only has 1600 miles on it. And yes the gassers have to rev to get to the power but these new motors are built to take it. We also own a 15, 6.2 with 3.73's and it just got a new set of plugs at 140,000 miles nothing else done to the motor. To say I'm impressed with the new gas motors is an understatement. Flame away all you diesel lovers, but remember I love mine too.

Well Apex!

After You've Pulled Heavy Loads with a Diesel It's hard to go back to a Gasser!

I'm Not Sayin the Gasser Ain't a Bad Rig!

But Pull that 7.3 up to an Eco-Boost with Lower Gears & You'd Best Have your Sshhiittt Together!

Remember the OP and 6k to replace injectors. The Ford 5.4 spark plugs were terrible to replace, I know I broke a few of them off and that was a mess to fix. Had to borrow special tools from a mechanic friend of mine. My boys replaced the plugs in the 6.2's and they're better mechanics than the old man.

What I tell ya! Theses MM SOB's
never let anyone down. Keep it coming beat that $55k truck up. I agree, not diesel power but not necessarily need diesel power all the time. If I get 15mpg-ish i'd be happy considering the off set. Buy need some power 50% of the drive time which is 10k miles per year through rocky mountains.

Thats good. I wish I was a better mechanic... I have one of each, 5.4, 6.2 and a 6.7 power choke. They all have their place.... To the OP; If you're used to a diesel, you will probably miss it! But I'm sure the 7.3 will get you by. My 6.2 is stupid quick but it lacks the brute force power of the diesel when pulling ANYTHING....

Don't have one, yet. That will be my next truck. Unless you're pulling 15k+ regularly the diesels just don't make much sense. The new 10 speed is a real game changer, there is finally a viable option for guys that don't want to pay the $8500 extra for the diesel. Here is one with the 4.30's pulling 16k up I70 to the Eisenhower tunnel.

Thanks for the video.

If only TFL had a tailgate score so Chevy could get back in the game a bit ?

Last edited:
What I tell ya! Theses MM SOB's

Easy There Tail!

You Know We're Just RAZZIN Ya!:D

The Big 3 in the Diesels are 900-1050 ft lbs of Torque!

Delete the BS & a Nice TUNE & that's Power that Can't be beat!

But Don'r Get PIZZED when You Realize your Old Wore Out Diesel will Out Pull the Gasser!

Pulling with a Gasser = Get Your F'N Checkbook out!

One more thing?

Anybody know How Big a Fuel Tank You need when getting 2.2 MPG?:D

never let anyone down. Keep it coming beat that $55k truck up. I agree, not diesel power but not necessarily need diesel power all the time. If I get 15mpg-ish i'd be happy considering the off set. Buy need some power 50% of the drive time which is 10k miles per year through rocky mountains.

You'e gonna get you Ass SPANKED!

By an Eco-Boost!:D
Yep, in a drag race no doubt the eco will spank any other gas truck on the market, and any and all stock diesels also! Mine pulls 11k just fine, until the outdoor temps hit 90 then she runs pretty hot!

since it's a ford.....I was looking at that block trying to figure out where to attach the anchor chain......

The real question is 14 or 16" screen? Vibrating seats? Fine Italian leather? A tailgate that transforms into a fighter jet? You know, the important chit.

I mean lets be honest. Big toyhaulers and horsetrailers. That's what 99.9% of dudes tow. If you have horses you can't afford $90k trucks. If you have a big toyhaulers its maybe 1/2 dozen times a year? Diesels are $$$$$. Hell new trucks?are $$$$$. Maybe its because I bought a pair of Crispis last year, but im thinking a Tacoma looks pretty good.

Coming from a diesel guy. I’ve got a crawler I tow and a large camper. That being said I would also own a Tacoma if towing wasn’t an issue.

Spoke none to soon. Here I am sitting at the Colorado Springs chevy dealer after getting a tow because my truck decided it wasn't going to start now. SMH...

LoL!! Told the wife she might see something different when I come pick her up since I'm a few blocks from the Ford dealership. Checked their inventory and no 7.3 on the lot.

Funny. GM did the big gas engine 20 years ago. The 8.1 LS was a beast of an engine especially with the Allison. Bad timing as diesels were the cool thing. They should bring it back. LS engines are the best gasoline powered engines made. mtmuley

Funny. GM did the big gas engine 20 years ago. The 8.1 LS was a beast of an engine especially with the Allison. Bad timing as diesels were the cool thing. They should bring it back. LS engines are the best gasoline powered engines made. mtmuley

I’d be all over that 8.1, if they still made it.

Pulling much of anything with a gasser after pulling with a diesel for years....is so depressing....

from what I've read the 7.3 gas gets 14-15 mpg empty and 8 mpg pulling which is about what you'd expect. I used to have a ford with a 460 and that's what I got. with my cummins I get about 12 mpg pulling 10-12K pounds. of course diesel is about 20% higher here where i'm at. it all comes down to how many miles you drive and how much you pull and how heavy. diesels used to be much cheaper to drive, but not anymore. price tag, fuel, def, maintenance costs make them expensive. also with the egr and dpf they also don't like driving around town or putting around the mountains or you'll plug the exhaust system. the old diesels didn't have all that crap. soon you won't be able to delete the exhaust junk.

from what I've read the 7.3 gas gets 14-15 mpg empty and 8 mpg pulling which is about what you'd expect. I used to have a ford with a 460 and that's what I got. with my cummins I get about 12 mpg pulling 10-12K pounds. of course diesel is about 20% higher here where i'm at. it all comes down to how many miles you drive and how much you pull and how heavy. diesels used to be much cheaper to drive, but not anymore. price tag, fuel, def, maintenance costs make them expensive. also with the egr and dpf they also don't like driving around town or putting around the mountains or you'll plug the exhaust system. the old diesels didn't have all that crap. soon you won't be able to delete the exhaust junk.

If you got 14-15mpg with your 460 then I want you to teach me how to drive.

I had a CDL for 23 years and drove quite a bit of that time. If I never smell diesel fuel again it will be too soon. Not to mention the pig piss. I was a kid working at a ford dealership back as a lot boy in the mid-80's. Back then you bought a diesel for economy, not any more.

that 14-15 was empty. was an f250 2wd. yeah I hate the smell of diesel too. another interesting thing I saw on the 7.3 gas reviews was there was only 1 mpg difference from the 3:55 to 4.3 rear ends in fuel mileage. I would much rather have the 4.3 rear end. had a diesel with the 3.55 rear end and I didn't like it.

I’ll never own a diesel. I’ve been looking at the Ford 7.3L as well. I’m intrigued. I also want to get some feedback on GM’s 6.6L gasser. Not a ton of difference in power between the 2. Both of them rated to pull 14,500+/- lbs. I currently have a 2012 GMC with the 6.0L gasser. It’s been an excellent truck and pulls my 10,000 lb trailer better than I could ever expect. In that truck I get about 5.5 mpg’s towing and I get 8.5 mpg driving the couple of miles to work and back and I’ve got 13 - almost 16 on the highway completely unloaded. Don’t care about fuel at the moment because my employer pays for all of it. Can’t decide if the 7.3L will be enough to pull me back to Ford, or if the GM 6.6L will prove to be a beast. And I just can’t convince myself that a Toyota is for me. Have you ever had to change the oil on one of those POS’s?? :)

I’ll never own a diesel. I’ve been looking at the Ford 7.3L as well. I’m intrigued. I also want to get some feedback on GM’s 6.6L gasser. Not a ton of difference in power between the 2. Both of them rated to pull 14,500+/- lbs. I currently have a 2012 GMC with the 6.0L gasser. It’s been an excellent truck and pulls my 10,000 lb trailer better than I could ever expect. In that truck I get about 5.5 mpg’s towing and I get 8.5 mpg driving the couple of miles to work and back and I’ve got 13 - almost 16 on the highway completely unloaded. Don’t care about fuel at the moment because my employer pays for all of it. Can’t decide if the 7.3L will be enough to pull me back to Ford, or if the GM 6.6L will prove to be a beast. And I just can’t convince myself that a Toyota is for me. Have you ever had to change the oil on one of those POS’s?? :)
Watch the TFL truck video of the 6.6 GM pulling the same 16k up to the Eisenhower tunnel, it really struggled. Almost 4 minutes slower than the 7.3 ford over an 8 mile stretch. No comparison IMO

And that's why I drive a diesel. This current truck has 70,000 high altitude miles, probably 25% pulling a heavy trailer on gravel roads. Lifetime mileage is a touch over 18 mpg. It's in the 12-15 mpg range loaded.

Twice the mileage buys a lot of headaches.

And that's why I drive a diesel. This current truck has 70,000 high altitude miles, probably 25% pulling a heavy trailer on gravel roads. Lifetime mileage is a touch over 18 mpg. It's in the 12-15 mpg range loaded.

Twice the mileage buys a lot of headaches.
Fuel mileage alone will take almost 200k miles to get your money back when comparing new diesels. The EPA trucks don't get near the mileage the older trucks got.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom