I also have a 1999 F-250 super duty with the 7.3 engine. Less then 80,000 miles on it as it is used mainly to pull the 26 ft. RV. When bought new, had dealer install dual fuel tanks, 74 gallons total, chip to increase power and torque and larger exhaust pipes.
Still runs like a champ.
As for the 6.0. My son bought one when they first came out and had nothing but breakdowns with the turbo. He finally got rid of it and will not buy another Ford to this day.
RELH

I still own mine.

Stock 2000 F250. Has 273,000 miles. Looks like it’s been rode hard and put up wet but other than the steering box being a little loose, it still runs the same as it did in 2000.

Bought a 2007 F250 6.0, it blew up (warped heads..... twice), in under 100,000 miles). Traded it for a 2016 F250 Ecoboost. I like it, for a touring car.

I keep the old 7.3 to haul my 5th wheel out a couple times a year. It doesn’t owe me a dime.

441000.jpg

6.0's are ****

I’m one of the lucky ones, my 2004 6.0 has been trouble free For 120,000 miles. I bullet proofed it a couple of years ago.

Ive still got my 2001 6 speed flat bed. Love that truck. It's got some Banks stuff, new/bigger injectors and a Diablo sport tuner. I'd love to find a 7.3, or a bulletproofed 6.0, Excursion to haul my dogs.

Last edited:
The '03 6.0's were the problem child. Had one and was also lucky until I pushed it to get home from a hunt with a cracked injector and ruined the engine. Idiot. Then replaced it with a "good used" engine instead of just buying new. Double idiot. That engine was a problem. Traded it off for my wife's ride and took over driving her 1/2 ton. Triple idiot.

The 7.3 and its variants from 1987-2003 were beasts. Why Ford went with Navistar built 6.0 L for 4 years after that is what gets me. Prolly some contract they were bound to. I think Ford took Navistar to court over that crap engine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom