7 Devils Heavens Gate Outfitters

AspenAdventures

Very Active Member
Hey guys, I am thinking of booking a hunt with Heavens Gate Outfitters in the Riggins area of Idaho. Has anyone been deer or elk hunting with them before?

The country looks rugged but I am more interested in elk....are there good numbers of elk?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I've researched the area. It seems to have good numbers and some trophy quality. It seems better than most general areas statewide and lower than basically all other controlled hunts. Assuming you're talking the Hells Canyon Zone. I would think with an outfitter you'd have a good hunt. Rugged country.

Did you look into the other outfitter in there? They look good as well. Hells Canyon Outfitters

Don't be fooled by the pictures on the website and facebook, all of the good sized and trophy quality animals come off private ranches in 18. They overhunt their concession considerably and you will likely come away with a small raghorn bull at best.

Thanks guys, for some reason I just dont think I stand a great chance at a 6 point bull in the 280" range. I think I will look elsewhere. Thanks again for the feedback.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

LOTS of better areas in Idaho to go guided !! This country is Steep & the animals are VERY scattered at best !! I hunted 18 this year Never saw a elk or a muley !! We hunted steep & deep top to bottom ,everyone we talked to saw damn few animals in fact we never saw a single buck hanging . Hunted 7 days saw one bull killed it was a DINK ass bull, they got in the wilderness opening day took 4 guys 4 days too pack it out. The locals even said they had a Hell of a time finding bulls, local chatter was F&G added 150 Xtra tags for cows opening the same time as the bull hunt !! I think there was 300 cow tags & 150 bull tags . Do a LOT of research

Must be too many elk if they are adding cow tags.

Must be plenty to go around if you hunt there frequently.

Wow! I spent 14 days chasing Muleys in unit 18 this fall. Deer numbers are definitely down and tags should be reduced . Passed up 15 bucks or so and shot a nice 4x4 towards the end. To say there's no elk in the unit is hillarious! It didn't matter where I stopped to glass there was a herd of elk in view . I will venture to say I saw 300 elk and 25 or more branched bulls and 20 spikes. Saw 2 different herds with over 70 elk . I could of shot a bull every single day out. Finding a nice 6 is tough tho you gotta dump into hell holes that nobody can see or is around to find them .

Thinking about hunting idaho in 2022 (I live and hunt in Oregon) not sure deer or elk? I DO HAVE HORSES. But, not paying for a guide! Any places to check out or avoid?

Thanks

Thinking about hunting idaho in 2022 (I live and hunt in Oregon) not sure deer or elk? I DO HAVE HORSES. But, not paying for a guide! Any places to check out or avoid?

Thanks
What does your post have to do with this outfitter??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom