7 mm mag 139 gr American Whitetail

milkie62

Ran into a predicament. Going out for Elk on Sept 28. Picked up a couple of different boxes of shells for the 7 mm mag Rem 700. 162 Hornady Eld shot great but no more around my area. Bought some Fed Premium with 168 berger, 139 gr hornady and 150 gr Rem corelokts. The 139 gr group about 2.2" @ 200, the Rem 150 about 4" @ 200 and the Fed Prem 168 about 6" @ 200. Will the 139 Gr be enough bullet ? I see some guys say a 6.5 creedmor is good for elk but their bullet is mostly 135-147 gr. Or should I live with the 150 gr Corelokts ? Did not think bullet selection would dry up so fast in my area. I am not expert on Elk but would think if I can stay off shoulder blade and lung it that all that energy will let loose in the lungs and he will not go far.

My old Husquavarna 7mm likes the 160 gr Accubonds. I reload so not sure what is available for factory ammo but I'm sure there is something out there. The other tried and true bullets in the caliber are the Nosler Partition and Sierra Gameking. If your gun will shoot the Partitions I do not think you will be disappointed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom