7 Rem. mag 9 1/2 twist bullet

The LONG high BC bullets might struggle to stabilize in a 9 1/5 twist.
I know the 7mm Mag was loaded with 175's but that was before the longer newer Pointy/BT 175's.
Usually the 8 twist is required for those weights (lengths) IMHO.

Zeke

At my altitude an OEM Remington 700 will stabilize a 180 grain ELDM with a .796 BC at 2800 FPS. And it’s absolutely sinister. I’ve launched hundreds of them from inside 100 yards to waayyyy TF out there. So to answer the question. Yes it will. And it’s the only case I’ve encountered where magazine confines do not impinge upon being able to seat the bullet in such a way that the usable powder capacity is not negated without having to modify the magazine box.

At my altitude an OEM Remington 700 will stabilize a 180 grain ELDM with a .796 BC at 2800 FPS. And it’s absolutely sinister. I’ve launched hundreds of them from inside 100 yards to waayyyy TF out there. So to answer the question. Yes it will. And it’s the only case I’ve encountered where magazine confines do not impinge upon being able to seat the bullet in such a way that the usable powder capacity is not negated without having to modify the magazine box.
Everyone's mileage will vary (you're showing that) but the bottom line is a guy "usually" needs a faster twist than 1 in 9.5' to totally stabilize the long bullets and to realize the highest BC.

No one would intentionally build a 7mm Mag, intending to use long 175-180's, and install anything less than an 8 twist, maybe an 8.25.

What twist is your 700? Your altitude certainly helps with the twist/stability thing.

Zeke

I own several. Including a couple 1-8. But the rifle I’m referring to was sold as a 1-9.5. But a cleaning patch reveals that is actually a 1-9.25. And yes the altitude does help. And I’ve only ever used it from the altitude here at home on up to the top of the mountain. So I can’t speak to how it would work at lower elevation.

I own several. Including a couple 1-8. But the rifle I’m referring to was sold as a 1-9.5. But a cleaning patch reveals that is actually a 1-9.25. And yes the altitude does help. And I’ve only ever used it from the altitude here at home on up to the top of the mountain. So I can’t speak to how it would work at lower elevation.
A lot of the Factory Rem700s were 1:9.25 twist rate and the few I’ve seen would shoot180s also.

To the OP with your twist rate the 168VLD over H1000 would be where I’d start.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom