71/711 3rd season

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
My oldest boy drew this tag and we are looking forward to getting out and learning some new country. We mainly hunt Nevada and never hunt much into November unlike this hunt. I’m assuming a lot depends on the weather? Anybody have any recent experience with these units.....not so much places to hunt but overall experience?

Plenty of country of all types. You should be able to find something that fits your style of hunting. Yes, by November animal habits have changed and weather will probably be moving them around. Whatcha looking for?

We mainly like hiking onto high glassing points and spend a lot of time behind the binos. We kicked around the idea of bringing our horses as well. My boy has killed a couple of good bucks but he probably would be happy with a mature 3-4 point buck.

The dates are late so move around until you find some does and there should be some bucks thinking about them by then. Even without snow that means the mid to lower country usually. I doubt you would need horses for that country.

I had that tag in 2018 with my dad. Overall experience - it was fun country to look at but I was surprised at the lack of deer. I had a unit wide LO tag so I was able to hunt a little chunk of private ground. Only spent a little time on the private. I was new to the unit and passed a 22" 4x4 the first morning on private. I should have shot it. Ended up with an 18" 3x3 meat buck on the last day - also on private. I hunted the unit hard though every day and spent most of the time in 711 on public ground. I spent 1 day in 71 at a place that someone told me about but saw NO deer.
If I were in your shoes, I would take your horses up to Glade Mountain in 711 a couple days before season and glass. There will be some other folks around on horses or walking up trails but I'm sure you'll get away from most folks. It looked like neat country and we saw deer there. I was wishing I had a horse to get away from the road. Many of the other folks will be elk hunting.
The biggest buck I saw (one of the very few) was a 28" 4x4 pushing does early one morning. Before I realized what was happening some does ran in front of the truck and the buck stopped short.... I got a bad picture of the buck, otherwise I'd post it. He was standing in the wrong unit. If only I'd have stopped sooner!! I saw many bucks on private ground, just not a lot on the public. I was shocked because I hiked some really good looking country. I saw 1 hunter packing out a forked horn. I think the deer are there but just didn't work out great for us. Good luck this year.

I had that tag in 2018 with my dad. Overall experience - it was fun country to look at but I was surprised at the lack of deer. I had a unit wide LO tag so I was able to hunt a little chunk of private ground. Only spent a little time on the private. I was new to the unit and passed a 22" 4x4 the first morning on private. I should have shot it. Ended up with an 18" 3x3 meat buck on the last day - also on private. I hunted the unit hard though every day and spent most of the time in 711 on public ground. I spent 1 day in 71 at a place that someone told me about but saw NO deer.
If I were in your shoes, I would take your horses up to Glade Mountain in 711 a couple days before season and glass. There will be some other folks around on horses or walking up trails but I'm sure you'll get away from most folks. It looked like neat country and we saw deer there. I was wishing I had a horse to get away from the road. Many of the other folks will be elk hunting.
The biggest buck I saw (one of the very few) was a 28" 4x4 pushing does early one morning. Before I realized what was happening some does ran in front of the truck and the buck stopped short.... I got a bad picture of the buck, otherwise I'd post it. He was standing in the wrong unit. If only I'd have stopped sooner!! I saw many bucks on private ground, just not a lot on the public. I was shocked because I hiked some really good looking country. I saw 1 hunter packing out a forked horn. I think the deer are there but just didn't work out great for us. Good luck this year.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like a tough hunt but we’re looking to give it hell and maybe turn up a mature buck or two. We’ll make a few trips down before we decide if it’s worth taking the ponies. Thanks again

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like a tough hunt but we’re looking to give it hell and maybe turn up a mature buck or two. We’ll make a few trips down before we decide if it’s worth taking the ponies. Thanks again
My family and I have been hunting that unit for quite some time. You need weather to really make the unit. Glade mtn area is a good area to start, it’s fairly thick but good spots to get high and pick apart the oak brush and always see a good buck or 2 in there. My wife killed a great 32” 4x4 in there in 2018 ruttin his guts out. If there’s weather and good snow on the ground disappointment valley is another good place to be as the deer will funnel in the area from the high country and mainly low juniper country makes good glassing when you find high points. It’s definitely not what it used to be but still have a chance of turning up a giant! I’ll be back there this 3rd season as well with a deer tag in my pocket!

My boy killed this cool 3rd season buck today. Heading to 71/711 tomorrow in hopes of seeing some rutting bucks And maybe luck into a big buck.

73FE4CCE-22E3-4A0D-AF47-E1C357BC6C7B.jpeg

27EDBCF2-1F34-4FC6-A652-78B9869356C4.jpeg

4 days of hunting that unit, and I could not turn one up that big for my daughter on public. Seemed like the deer went straight to the fields before the hunt started. We would see maybe 20 does and 1 small buck a day in public. Great country and had a great time with my 13 year old daughter trying to find one.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom