71-79,91 early deer

300Win

Thoughts on 71-79,91 early deer. Decided to gamble and picked it up on the first come license. Are there decent deer numbers and bucks there. Any information is appreciated

Had 1 in pop up and didn't pull the trigger
Screenshot_20210924-203628_Chrome.jpg

I just got done hunting the archery deer and elk hunt in the 072,073...I hunted mostly 073 and a little 072...its, by far the worst year ever. Worst drought in these parts I have seen and was commented by a couple ranchers I ran into as well, and the deer and elk numbers were way down. (This is now my 7th archery deer tag in 20 years there and my 2nd archery elk tag in Nevada). I had the deer tag last year and saw 3 times as many mature bucks as I saw this year, and I thought last year was bad. ( I didnt' harvest last year, didn't find anything big enough, my goal is 180 or better). I changed that goal this year, needed some meat, so it was either a big boy or a forky....and I didn't get a big boy, didn't see one either. I hunted from aug 24th- sept 8th, everyday. I saw approx. 30 bucks and 80 does with fawns (normally 3 times that). The biggest buck is seen below. THe skyline shots and the bedded buck are the same. I think he would go about 165, maybe a little better. I only saw 5 4x4's ....unbelievably sad...
I didn't scout it this year, since I picked up both tags in the FCFS system... I know this area like the back of my hand, its pretty funny how the deer like some areas and absolutely avoid others, who know why...this area is super remote and roads are far enough apart to give deer space and quiet (this alone is probably the most important requirement for big bucks, just watch a big buck when a 4 wheeler goes by (even a mile away), his ears perk up and he usually splits the country, .........oops sorry got carried away....

The grass didn't grow this spring, it really didn't. They got 1.5 inches of rain in late july, that produced about 4 inches of green grass by the end of Aug. Not enough to make a difference in feed...

On a good note, almost every doe I saw had at least one fawn and in most cases 2 and a few triples. they were pretty skinny, so I don't know how they will fair this winter. Cross your fingers...

On Sept 8th, I spotted this forky and whacked him in his bed at 61 yards. He went 10 yards and dropped. Notice the entrance hole and exit (good penetration)...He will eat just fine...Next day it was on to elk hunting

BTW. I didn't any elk until Sept 9th...I usually see several herds (maybe 100-150 total) and bachelor bulls while chasing deer, but not this year..while driving up on Stag Mtn, I spotted this 6 pt walking around some aspens.. It was the ONLY elk I saw, and couldn't pass it up. He didn't respond to calls, so I hunted him like a muley, snuck in to 100 yards and waited for him to move. He came right up past me at 51 yards and I nailed him. he walked another 50 yards and the rest is history...backstraps baby....

so to highjack the thread...I wish you the best of luck on the hunt. if you want any info on this area, just p.m. me and i will give you whatever you want...

20210909_101537.jpg

20210909_100742.jpg

20210908_100922.jpg

20210908_100715.jpg

20210906_064024.jpg

20210906_063856.jpg

20210906_123754.jpg

I just got done hunting the archery deer and elk hunt in the 072,073...I hunted mostly 073 and a little 072...its, by far the worst year ever. Worst drought in these parts I have seen and was commented by a couple ranchers I ran into as well, and the deer and elk numbers were way down. (This is now my 7th archery deer tag in 20 years there and my 2nd archery elk tag in Nevada). I had the deer tag last year and saw 3 times as many mature bucks as I saw this year, and I thought last year was bad. ( I didnt' harvest last year, didn't find anything big enough, my goal is 180 or better). I changed that goal this year, needed some meat, so it was either a big boy or a forky....and I didn't get a big boy, didn't see one either. I hunted from aug 24th- sept 8th, everyday. I saw approx. 30 bucks and 80 does with fawns (normally 3 times that). The biggest buck is seen below. THe skyline shots and the bedded buck are the same. I think he would go about 165, maybe a little better. I only saw 5 4x4's ....unbelievably sad...
I didn't scout it this year, since I picked up both tags in the FCFS system... I know this area like the back of my hand, its pretty funny how the deer like some areas and absolutely avoid others, who know why...this area is super remote and roads are far enough apart to give deer space and quiet (this alone is probably the most important requirement for big bucks, just watch a big buck when a 4 wheeler goes by (even a mile away), his ears perk up and he usually splits the country, .........oops sorry got carried away....

The grass didn't grow this spring, it really didn't. They got 1.5 inches of rain in late july, that produced about 4 inches of green grass by the end of Aug. Not enough to make a difference in feed...

On a good note, almost every doe I saw had at least one fawn and in most cases 2 and a few triples. they were pretty skinny, so I don't know how they will fair this winter. Cross your fingers...

On Sept 8th, I spotted this forky and whacked him in his bed at 61 yards. He went 10 yards and dropped. Notice the entrance hole and exit (good penetration)...He will eat just fine...Next day it was on to elk hunting

BTW. I didn't any elk until Sept 9th...I usually see several herds (maybe 100-150 total) and bachelor bulls while chasing deer, but not this year..while driving up on Stag Mtn, I spotted this 6 pt walking around some aspens.. It was the ONLY elk I saw, and couldn't pass it up. He didn't respond to calls, so I hunted him like a muley, snuck in to 100 yards and waited for him to move. He came right up past me at 51 yards and I nailed him. he walked another 50 yards and the rest is history...backstraps baby....

so to highjack the thread...I wish you the best of luck on the hunt. if you want any info on this area, just p.m. me and i will give you whatever you want...

View attachment 53487

View attachment 53489

View attachment 53490

View attachment 53491

View attachment 53493

View attachment 53494

View attachment 53495
im seeing and hearing the same from everybody, Numbers are way down across the board and its not just area 6,7,10 the numbers are there to back it up.. 36% statewide mule deer ALW success in 2020, 10% below the previous 3 year average of 46%.. im scared to see what it is this year. you still prevailed and filled both tags so congrats!.

Last edited:

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom