78 Rifle Deer

Stubaby

Very Active Member
Oh man. Got the email today. I already have a packed fall. Figured I’d roll the dice and whammo!!!

Anyone hunt there the last few years? I know of some decent bucks that were killed. You think things will be a tad better with the not super terrible winter last year?

I think you will have a great hunt, I hunt a neighboring unit and found a lot of up and comers last year. Give those bucks another year and a mild winter and you are set to do very well.

Hey guys, I just spent the last few days looking around the unit and I’m seeing some bucks, just not quite what I’m looking for. Those who know me can attest that I help guys more than most.

Anyway, if anyone wants to swap info about where I’ve been looking or has any advice I’d gladly take it. What I’m most worried about is guys not following the motorized restrictions on the trails. The single track and 50” trails are off limits once the rifle hunt starts, right?

Better figure on a bunch of idiots riding atvs wherever they want, whenever they want. It's a problem everywhere and there's simply not enough enforcement to deal with it.

Last year on the opener we parked at the end of middle fork of Bloomington canyon and hiked over the top to 77. Right when we got to the top a 60” sxs goes cruising by on the high line trail. I was so pissed.

Hey guys, I just spent the last few days looking around the unit and I’m seeing some bucks, just not quite what I’m looking for. Those who know me can attest that I help guys more than most.

Anyway, if anyone wants to swap info about where I’ve been looking or has any advice I’d gladly take it. What I’m most worried about is guys not following the motorized restrictions on the trails. The single track and 50” trails are off limits once the rifle hunt starts, right?
Hunters can't use motorized vehicles on single track or 50" but people out joyriding still can. They're not subject to IDFG rules that hunters have to follow.

Technically, if you want to haul in camp on a 50" trail and camp there for the hunt, you could. But we all know they're used much more for illegal day hunting than camp hauling. The locals ride all over there with their rifle strapped right on front, they don't care and there's nobody to enforce it unless you take pics and send them in.

They definitely need to enforce the 50" rule on the highline trails and Sink Hollow for everybody though... they're becoming SxS width and they're not supposed to be. You can see the full and correct USFS map on the web to know where you can go.

I have frequently heard about the lack of respect for the motorized rules or 50” limits, and it seems generally accepted that it is mostly residents doing it. Does anybody ever do anything about it? Shame
the person ruining it for the rest, or report it? I don’t really want a narc/tattle society so it would probably be best if the locals shut it down their way before it gets to the point that we need a ranger at every trailhead. Why isn’t this treated like poaching and all the shame that goes with it?

I have turned in a handful of day hunting violators in the Diamond Creek unit. Really pisses me off to spike camp and do the hiking up to camp...only to have them buzz up and blow everything outta there. Wardens are great about coming up to issue a ticket. I keep the wardens number on my phone. If needed, I’ll use it again when my hunt starts Thursday. I’d say it’s 70/30 R/NR split.

Does anybody ever do anything about it? Shame
the person ruining it for the rest, or report it?
I say to report it. We have a duty to help enforce wildlife laws knowing there aren't enough wardens to do it.

A MM member got a reward from BHA a few years ago for turning in a guy while I was hunting bear. I was walking the same trail and it was ridiculous how many guys were hunting with total impunity from their quads.

What if I’m just “joyriding” and looking for coyotes on the single track with my rifle over my shoulder as I cruise around on my Yamaha YZ, then once I get to my desired spot I then “identify” as a deer hunter with the appropriate tag in my pocket?

I also heard it’s ok to drive a quad on the 50” with a rifle in tow as long as it’s not daylight hours?

I also heard it’s ok to drive a quad on the 50” with a rifle in tow as long as it’s not daylight hours?
I'd recommend calling IDFG on that. Every morning before shooting light would be a traffic jam up the trails and then guys would hunt all day and drive out at night. I'm pretty sure you can only use the roads to move camp.

Does move camp include having a gun on you? I was under the impression that you could only move camp but no firearm on the vehicle?

I’ve asked two locals from Paris. Both say different things.

Anybody ever stashed a rifle somewhere?

Also, anyone want to pm me where the bucks are?

I read that twice in July and just now. If you are driving an atv or 50” sxs on the 50” restriction trails or a motorcycle on the single track with a rifle in a scabbard you can always say you are just “moving camp”.

So can you legally drive to a spot, park then hunt from there on foot?

I read that twice in July and just now. If you are driving an atv or 50” sxs on the 50” restriction trails or a motorcycle on the single track with a rifle in a scabbard you can always say you are just “moving camp”.

So can you legally drive to a spot, park then hunt from there on foot?
I hope you're being sarcastic. If so, then ?

Stubaby i was curious how your hunt went? I just found out i drew a 78 tag in the second draw which is awesome but now i have to start my scouting all over. Mostly curious about when deer move and elevations you saw them in. Thanks

It sucked. I saw a buck for like 1 second before he bedded down. Flushed him out like a pheasant at 10 yards and just started shooting.

He’s a dink but it got me tagged out and off to Montana to kill the bull I’ve always dreamed about. Helped a buddy last year. Didn’t see much at all. I’d glass everywhere and just keep your “fly on the water” as they say. There’s bucks from HWY89 elevation to the top.

EF103499-9EF3-48FF-90D1-AEE31D873143.jpeg

EE5CC3D4-EEB6-4B4D-9A6D-45CD7345EDBF.jpeg

161E805E-91B7-4E85-BB3A-09B99B71F147.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom