7mm Rem Mag Scope

I'm looking to buy a new 7mm to replace my Remington Model 700. Likely going to buy a Savage, but I'm more concerned with putting a good scope on it.
I'll primarily hunt mule deer, elk, and pronghorn with it with mule deer being my primary use for the rifle.
I'm looking at the Viper PST 6.24x50, Diamondback tactical 6x24x50, and the Match Precision Optic by Brownells tactical scopes.

My two questions are...
Is a 6x24x50 overkill for hunting deer and elk out to 600 yards?
And does anyone have experience with the scopes made by Brownells?

A solid 4x16 will do everything you need out to 600 yards. Vortex diamondback tactical, viper hst or viper hslr are all solid and reasonably priced (if you can find any in stock!).

No experience with the brownells optics. Didn't even know they had their own branded optics!

Last edited:
I have nightforce, vortex, and on my last rifle I put a Leupold V5. I really like the new Leupold

Thanks for the replies. It seems everyone has their own opinions on brands and such. I am leaning towards the diamondback tactical, but don't know about the non-illumination. Is an illuminated scope crucial for those early morning or late evening shots?

I don't own any scopes with illuminated anything. Maybe I'm just getting old?

Crucial is a strong word. Handy occasionally might be a better way to look at it.

Now if I could just see both sights on my ml with these damn bifocals......

The Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 is a great scope. If you bargain shop, you can find a demo or new on sale for $400 +/-.

We have 3 of them.

I have a Swarovski 5.5-25 on a 300 Winny and its too much scope. I really want to swap it for a 18x.

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 wind plex or Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. These two scopes are about the best, lightest hunting scopes on the market right now.

Thanks everyone... I finally had time to check some out at Scheel's yesterday and decided to just watch sales, etc for something in the 3x15 or 4x16 range. I'll try and remember to post up what I purchase!

I'm looking to buy a new 7mm to replace my Remington Model 700. Likely going to buy a Savage, but I'm more concerned with putting a good scope on it.
I'll primarily hunt mule deer, elk, and pronghorn with it with mule deer being my primary use for the rifle.
I'm looking at the Viper PST 6.24x50, Diamondback tactical 6x24x50, and the Match Precision Optic by Brownells tactical scopes.

My two questions are...
Is a 6x24x50 overkill for hunting deer and elk out to 600 yards?
And does anyone have experience with the scopes made by Brownells?
yes, and i have a friend that has the Brownells MPO 5-25x56mm and he has always gave a good remark about it

Another vote for the Vortex Razor LH. I’m not a fan of their Bino’s or spotters but I love that rifle scope

i'd say 24power is overkill at 600 yards. 4x16 is great but 18x is optimal. look into the Zeiss Conquest.

I shot a deer in 2019 from 515 yards with the viper 6-24. I was sitting on him for two hours waiting for him to stand. I usually don't zoom all the way to 24 but this time I did. It was nice to look through the scope and see his head so clearly. He stood to switch beds and the 24x made him a look like a huge target, and I dropped him where he stood. 16x would have worked just as good but if you have that much time it doesn't hurt to zoom in a little more. My two cents.

I put a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS on my 7 STW, for my Colorado elk hunt this past October. It worked great, pretty light weight, clear glass and the CDS worked perfectly.

Hey, so I've noticed all the people asking for hunting advice and then never posting a report. The biggest takeaway from this thread was that 16x is enough for elk and deer in Colorado. So here is my follow up...

I'm keeping my older 7mm with Nikon BDC that I'm comfortable shooting out to 400 yards anyway. With some practice, better ammo, and the Nikon spot on App I feel like that gun will do until I decide to really upgrade.

Instead I spent some money on a 6.5 Creedmoor for myself and my 11 year old new hunter safety graduate son. I have a connection and was able to get a deal on optics and ammo so I'm going to put on a Diamondback 4x16 on the 6.5 and shoot 140g accubonds.

Hopefully we can find a deer or maybe an elk this fall in between football and lacrosse!

Thanks for the advice!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom