7mm08 help ASAP

BUGLEnmIN

Very Active Member
Hey guys,i need to find a super hot elk round for a 7mm08. My wife drew a tag and she's comfortable that caliber . I found some good rounds from barns ,and federal premium,but I do not want a 140 grain bullet. I'm looking for 160 grain. Please help if you can thank you!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-16 AT 10:42PM (MST)[p]It's a 7mm 08......the 140's are perfect

If you reload, you could try the 140 or 150 grain Nosler Partition. Otherwise try the Nosler Trophy Grade with the 140 grain Accubond.

Don't think you will find the 140 TTSX in a factory round. Monos like speed and I'd be leery of a 140 in the 7-08. Take everyone's advice, get some 140 Accubonds and hammer an elk. mtmuley

You might also try some Ballistic Tip ammo, the 120 grain works great as does the 140 grain BT's.

My go to rifles are 7MM-08's and I'd not worry packing a 7MM-08 loaded with 120 grain BT's when elk hunting.

And yes Accubonds if your rifle will shoot them.

If you are still in such a rush and decided to use Barnes ttsx 140's, I will keep shut and say nothing.....Gurrrr :)

>If you are still in such
>a rush and decided to
>use Barnes ttsx 140's, I
>will keep shut and say
>nothing.....Gurrrr :)

Come on let's hear it...

Don't let one guy's opinion sway you too much but here's mine.

The 140 Barnes is one of the BEST choices for elk in that cartridge. They penetrate like a bigger bullet yet blow an excellent primary and secondary wound channel through game. Yes, mtmuley is right that the 140's are better than the 160's in that cartridge since mono's do like more speed to give you a nice "pop" on game. Hit 'em right and the critter will be her's.

I can't think of much better so have your wife go kill an elk!

Zeke

PS: I've used them from 243 to 416 and everything in between and NEVER lost a critter in the whole family. Barnes work just fine.

Zeke

Depending on your rifles twist it may not even stabilize a 160, if you don't have the proper twist it may shoot ok at 100 but at 300 it may keyhole, yaw, or tumble. In that case it doesn't matter what bullet you have.

If the OP really wants 160's, Double Tap loads the 160 Accubond. Bout the only factory 140 TTSX out there too. mtmuley

Your first post says you do not want a 140. 160's are available, and now you don't want a 160. Good luck this fall. mtmuley

>Your first post says you do
>not want a 140. 160's
>are available, and now you
>don't want a 160.
>Good luck this fall. mtmuley
>

I didn't want 140 bit everyone is saying they're better than 160 with the amount of powder.

Depending on your twist a 160 may be just fine and deadly. Many 7mm-08 are 9.5" twist these days, which will stabilize a 160 gn bullet. I think most guys shoot the 140 for its flatter trajectory and a well-constructed 140 out of the 08 at reasonable ranges will kill elk just fine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom