7PRC

7mm HustELR for me on a short action. My gunsmith and I came up with the rounds. More velocity than a 7mm PRC and built with lapua brass.

IMG_2137.jpg

Correct, lapua bolt faced short action using lapua brass. Use it for ELR matches or build an ultralight for sheep hunting and everything in between.

I'm getting #1 off the line a long range hunting lighter weight setup ...more to follow.

It's works best with the 195s, 190s, 180s and 175s. I'm going to run 175 Bergers or ELDxs whatever shoots best. It's designed to work with a bunch of powders...N570, N565, N560, RL33, RL26, Retumbo, H1000, 7828ssc, Mappro etc.

I'm actually having one built. Didn't start out that way...was looking at a 7MM SAUM originally. Then switched based on what we believe will be more consistent component (brass) availability in the new future. It's frustrating to have a $6-8k rifle built and worry if you're going to be able to even shoot it. Crazy times.....

If you're curious, here's the build out: Definance Anti action (nitrided) with a faceted bolt shroud (looks cooler...haha), 22" Helix 6 carbon barrel with MBM 4 port brake, AG Alpine Hunter stock, Bix'n Andy Dakota trigger, Hawkins bottom metal with DBM and Leupold VX6 3x18x50 sitting in Talley Rings with level.
I'm undecided on what to go with for a bipod. I've got 2 Harris and a magpul today but kind of want to try something new.

I have a 7mm RM already and know that performance will be very similar. I just wanted a new rifle I guess and really love the 7's but didn't necessarily want a canon like a 28 Nosler. Hornady is a marketing machine and whether there is any real world improvement over current options today (not likely)....I believe they will make sure it is a "supported" caliber. That's getting to be a bigger and bigger thing to consider.

I'm actually having one built. Didn't start out that way...was looking at a 7MM SAUM originally. Then switched based on what we believe will be more consistent component (brass) availability in the new future. It's frustrating to have a $6-8k rifle built and worry if you're going to be able to even shoot it. Crazy times.....

If you're curious, here's the build out: Definance Anti action (nitrided) with a faceted bolt shroud (looks cooler...haha), 22" Helix 6 carbon barrel with MBM 4 port brake, AG Alpine Hunter stock, Bix'n Andy Dakota trigger, Hawkins bottom metal with DBM and Leupold VX6 3x18x50 sitting in Talley Rings with level.
I'm undecided on what to go with for a bipod. I've got 2 Harris and a magpul today but kind of want to try something new.

I have a 7mm RM already and know that performance will be very similar. I just wanted a new rifle I guess and really love the 7's but didn't necessarily want a canon like a 28 Nosler. Hornady is a marketing machine and whether there is any real world improvement over current options today (not likely)....I believe they will make sure it is a "supported" caliber. That's getting to be a bigger and bigger thing to consider.
Can you share who is building it? Asking for me :)

Awesome build. I’d be a little nervous of the VX6 assuming you’re gonna dial ranges. Haven’t met one yet that likes to come back where you tell it to.

I got a new one from Alamo Precision Rifles in Texas. They are my go to gun builder. I have several of their custom long range rifles, including 28 Nosler, 300RUM, 7RemMag, 7.08, 6.5 PRC, etc... They didn't build the 7PRC specifically for me as usual, but instead had one on the shelf that they worked up on a Manners stock with some extra goodies above and beyond the normal in stock custom builds. It was a chance to snag the 7PRC, which I had decided I wanted, before the Defiance price increase so I jumped on it. I am not fond of sitting at the reloading bench and the 6.5 Hornady factory ammo works so well in my APR guns that I am hoping the 7mm does as well.

I got a new one from Alamo Precision Rifles in Texas. They are my go to gun builder. I have several of their custom long range rifles, including 28 Nosler, 300RUM, 7RemMag, 7.08, 6.5 PRC, etc... They didn't build the 7PRC specifically for me as usual, but instead had one on the shelf that they worked up on a Manners stock with some extra goodies above and beyond the normal in stock custom builds. It was a chance to snag the 7PRC, which I had decided I wanted, before the Defiance price increase so I jumped on it. I am not fond of sitting at the reloading bench and the 6.5 Hornady factory ammo works so well in my APR guns that I am hoping the 7mm does as well.
I have a good friend with an Alamo 6.5. Very nice guns and he says they are super to deal with. Post a pic of your new one when you get a chance.
Thanks

This is my most recent APR rifle... I felt like I had to have a 7mm PRC.

The 7 Prc offers the same as the 6,6.5 creedmore, 6.5 and 300 PRC.
What does it offer that’s better ? If you look at SAAMI chamber diagrams all of the above -they offer tighter clearances on the neck, lead and throat vs other popular similar cartridges. This translates into greater accuracy over traditional or equal time proven cartridges (SAAMI diagrams).

Do the above offer more speeds than equivalent time proven cartridges - NO. But Hornady is using superformance powder in factory ammo that is faster…..

Do the above offer the quality brass needed by aftermarket like lapua and others -YES and No. Hornady brass really isn’t the best for reloading several times.

Accuracy wise the 7 Prc has a tighter chamber than a 7 mag so it should by design shoot tighter groups. A properly tight chambered 7 mag would shoot equally as well.

The big question is having the support going forward by Hornady. So far it’s been recently good (not always though) to find the loaded ammo - so I predict it will be a good choice for long range accuracy.

I don't have plans for one but if I hadn't recently built a custom 7 SAUM I'd be all over this. The SAUM is a great round and running a 180 at 2840 from a short barrel is great performance but as said brass can be tough to source. I was lucky and found 200 rounds of ADG when I built so I'm good most of the life of the rifle.

I think the PRC is the closest thing to that magical 7 that sends a 180 at or near 3k without being an over bored barrel burner. In reality the 7RM has done that capacity wise for decades but if buying new or building I think the hand loader or factory shooter will enjoy the small advantages of the PRC.

I truly wish they had simply rebranded the Gunwerks 7 LRM as it is dead zero of the 7mm / 180 sweet spot...IMO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom