7west with a bow??

Buddy drew the late archery hunt in November.. we will be headed out in July to learn some country.. my question is do the big boys just hold up on public or tuck tale and head off toward the private in the later season? Thanks.. any info on the area would be greatly appreciated as well

They know how to disappear on public. Private land is rarely a factor in Arizona. Especially in unit 7W. Bring the glass and listen for the 320" bulls to still bugle in early November. Generally speaking after the late archery season starts they all go silent.

So..... I drew the late rifle bull tag. I contacted AZ DIY hunting, bought their information. This is my first bull tag in 35 years. I am not looking for a trophy, just a branch antlered bull. My question is, how valuable will scouting be now, as opposed to later in the year? Are the bulls mostly in a core area year round, or do they have a defined summer vs. winter range?

It's a great question. The answer depends on the weather. If they happen to be at the same elevation in November as now they could be in the same spots.

However, monsoon storms are a factor as well. Often they tend to be "patchy" which creates regions of higher quality forage which will move them.

That's why buying GPS coordinates now is kind of a joke. Newberg is right on this one. Wait till just before the season starts for best scouting results.

I'll be up in 7W off and on all summer. I figured I'd get out and about, check the information I got, at least to know the "lay of the land". Hope to do a preseason scout before the bowhunters start in November.

It's a great unit for public access and elk numbers. The big bulls there are harder to find after the rut. You should have a great time.

I have the late rifle tag as well. I just got back from a few days scouting around down there. I am from Utah and that country is far different from what I am used to. I would love to hear and share info about the unit as our scouting progresses. Hopefully we can help each other out and have some success. I am planning on going back down in 2 weeks now that I have a decent idea where I want to hunt.

I was in 7 West this week. The water tanks I checked are almost empty, just mud. The couple of tanks that had plenty of water were in the middle of an area being logged (aka clearcut). We really need some good monsoon rain. Plus, locals were telling me it's never been this hot, it was mid-90s.

I have the late rifle tag as well. I just got back from a few days scouting around down there. I am from Utah and that country is far different from what I am used to. I would love to hear and share info about the unit as our scouting progresses. Hopefully we can help each other out and have some success. I am planning on going back down in 2 weeks now that I have a decent idea where I want to hunt.
The late rifle hunt will be totally different than what you will see and find in September. I think you would be better off scouting a week or two before your actual hunt. If you come this early all you are really doing is getting to know roads, tanks & terrain. I wish you good luck but that is my two cents.

Thanks for the replies. I am gonna try to get familiar with roads, water, and glassing points this summer and fall. I am really hoping to have a good time. My dad and I both have tags. My main focus will be getting him a bull. He is 66 years old and has never shot a bull.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom