7WSM question.....

M

manny15

First off I've read the other post about the 7WSM...and I'm not ballistics? buff...

I'm having a problem with mine I have the coyote LSS. Topped with a leupold VXll..

I've only shot about 6 box's through the gun so far, but as of yet my first two shots are at 1/2 inch & bullseye, at 100yrds but the third and fourth are 2 or 3 inches high and left & right (wild) I let the barrel cool while I shoot my other 7mm mag, and sure enough the first two are dead on again and the third and forth are wild...WTH is going on...I was told I should glass bed the stock...I'd rather get a syn stock but will this help...any takers.....Thanks...Manny

Your barrel is getting too hot, and accuracy is affected. Sorry, no suggestions... (Helpful Post huh?)

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Well, it could be a few things.

Firstly, check the stock screws to see if they are torqued to the correct specs. Check your rifles manual for the proper specs.

First 2 shots on target, followed by vertical stringing.

I would say that you have a bedding problem. The barrel's touching on one side when you shoot. Especially after the barrel is hot. This may be corrected by simply re torquing the stock screws, or it may have to be bedded properly.

Take the barrel down, and check out the inside of the stock. I bet you can see where the action is touching the stock. Re torque, and then take a dollar bill and try to slide it up the stock, between the barrel and the forearm.

Vertical stringing is almost always due to a stock/bedding issue.
Unless you reload.

Is a Coyote a Winchester??

I seriously doubt its actions screws being loose but check anyway. Would be strange to consistently shoot cold shots the same place with loose screws. I also doubt the manual has torque stated. But look.

The solution is to have your rifle pillar bedded. It will keep the action in the same place and relieve any stock pressure off the barrel. Most factory guns have a pressure point touching the barrel up front, though the coyote may not. Have not seen one in wsm so can't say for sure on the point. But bedding on pillars and floating will alleviate most problems. And it basically saves the wood stock(coyote with wood??). If the wood is sealed after the barrel channel is relieved then it would take a really wet stock to absorb enough moisture and warp enough to touch the barrel and affect the bedded action, though its always possible.

If the coyote is a plastic type stock, then you can have the same thing done and not worry about much of anything.

Jeff

Jeff, you made some good points, but I have seen re torquing action screws fix the problem. Most times they do not though, you are correct.

yes the coyote is a winchester, and its a wood lam stock, of which i'm not empressed by, because i mounted a limb saver recoil pad and the screw stripped to esaily, which i corrected by useing a longer screw...but i guess i'll have to find a gunsmith that knows what he's doing cause i want it done right...thanks.......I'll take the stock off today and see if i can see anything....

Manny;

Just as Rangercon stated, it appears that you do have a bedding problem. If you are not familiar with bedding the stock, and free floating the barrel, go ahead and have a gunsmith correct the problem as you stated. It sounds like your rifle has the ability to be a very accurate one after completing the bedding problem.

Good luck;
RELH

I forgot.
65 "INCH" pounds for torquing your stock screws is pretty standard. Try that..Not FOOT pounds!! LOL

With all due respect to the 7mm, I think you will find the .300 WSM to be less finicky. I don't know if your present rifle has any inherent problems such as bedding or stock screw torque or not, but sometimes a .284 bullet driven at high speed is a problem in itself. I know there is a billion 7mm fans that will argue, but most of the inconsistent shooting of hunting class rifles I see at my local range are of the 7mm caliber. Granted some are of the ultra velocity breed, but of the ones that shoot the best, most are the good old 7mm Remington. In any make of rifle. mtmuley

I do not think that he has a "finicky" caliber due to his statement that the first two shots from a a cold barrel will group in 1/2 inch. The third shot and thereafter are stringing high and wide and indicates that there is a bedding problem that shows up after the barrel heats up.
The short magnums have been based on more efficent short cases that benchrest shooters wildcatted in order to increase accuracy over standard calibers while looking for that Proverbial one hole group.
I am very confident that after proper bedding, he will have a very accurate rifle, based on the first two shots. Past experience indicates that if he had a "finicky" rifle with other problems, his first two cold shots would not group also.
you are right about 30 caliber mags being noted for accuracy, the 300 Win. Mag., not short mag, has won more 1000 yards matches them any other caliber and the 30-06 is right behind it.

RELH

> you are
>right about 30 caliber mags
>being noted for accuracy, the
>300 Win. Mag., not short
>mag, has won more 1000
>yards matches them any other
>caliber and the 30-06 is
>right behind it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>RELH

Gasp! A belted mag winning compititions... impossible!

you know I've never had any problems like this with any of my remington's...I talked to a gun smith and he seems to think it won't help pillar bedding the gun...is he full of it...or what...?.....

What does the gunsmith seem to think it is??

It seems like a classic bedding issue to me. I havent seen many factory rifles that hasn't needed some bedding. This includes Remingtons.

Good luck, Manny.

RANGERCON, I realize all 7mms aren't hard to deal with, but it seems they give some grief. Also, heres where I can learn something. Do you think it is the bedding of the reciever/action area, or the barrel channel? I have witnessed this problem at my local range, and usually it was a hot 7mm. Would free floating be the answer if the rifle isn't already? And I will count myself lucky as I have a .300 ultra that is a kick ass shooter with nothing more than a trigger job. That brings up another thought. What about shooter error? mtmuley

Howdy Manny,

I'll fix it if you'll come to Lovington! Send me a PM if you are interested.

Coach

I took the stock retainer screws off just a while ago and the receiver was stuck in the gun, the fatory did a quick but messy job of glass bedding the stock, had big blobs in and around the reciever and trigger...I think it would only help pillar bedding the gun....

>Howdy Manny,
>
>I'll fix it if you'll come
>to Lovington! Send me
>a PM if you are
>interested >Coach

Coach the wife only lets me take one long distance trip a year...this year i'm going to Saskatchewan....

Are you sure it was bedding? Or is it maybe just finish? I don't believe I've seen a gun come from the winchester factory bedded... I could be wrong however. If it were my gun, I'd buy a $20 acraglass gel kit from Midway or Brownells and bed that puppy. The directions are easy to follow. Just take your time and it should turn out great.

well I can't be certain but it's only heavy around the reciever, the trigger, the bolt holes, and in the barrel groov on the stock, and I can peel it off if I wanted.. should I..?..it's also very elastic not like fiber glass...

>well I can't be certain but
>it's only heavy around the
>reciever, the trigger, the bolt
>holes, and in the barrel
>groov on the stock, and
>I can peel it off
>if I wanted.. should I..?..it's
>also very elastic not like
>fiber glass...

also i for got to mention, the finish on the outter stock is a satin, but this is high gloss....

That is more than likely your problem... your action is sitting on a sponge. I'd take a dremmel tool rough it up and dig out a little wood around the action and bed it with the acra glass gel kit. I would bet your problems would be solved. If that doesn't work... take it to your smith. But for $20 it would probably be worth the effort.

Howdy,
Yeah, and let us know how it turns out. I know one thing, a combination of pillars and bedding can't hurt!

Coach

well i got the pillars in wasn't as bad as i was expecting, now for the glass bedding, hope it don't get stuck ....LOL.....

I'm done, I pillar bedded it last night and I glass bedded the stock today it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be...kool.. thanks for all you help with suggestion now all I gotta do is go shoot it but gotta wait till next week before i can get away.....once again thanks all.....Manny'

Let us know how the gun works when its bedded. I prefer steel bed but acraglass will work fine too.

I've been back to competition shooting forums and noted a bunch more folks toying with the 7wsm.

Rest assured, whether anyone thinks hunters need or can utilize the accuracy its still there.

Saw one top shooter with a Savage and new barrel. Last weekends groups where 5.3 inches at 1000 yards and just under 11 inches right at a mile.

Other shooter was shooting Vertical groups at 700 yards around 1+ inches but going about 3-4 inches wide in a gusty wind.

PS you won't glue it in and there is the freezer if you do....

Good luck, Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom