8.6 antelope preference points

oneaway

Very Active Member
Looking to take the family antelope hunting. We have an average of 8.6 preference points. What would your opinion be? Any pointers would be great. Thank you.
Thanks again, monte

First thing I'd do is look at odds and see what I could draw. Then I'd look at accessible public land, and how many people I have to contend with.

Will you be camping or staying in town ?
Look at odds for say 7+ PP areas last year and as stated public land % for those areas.
Look at the quotas when they come out in April and compare them to last years to get an idea of how populations are trending.

Don't apply until quotas are out.

Additional questions- are you wanting a good hunt for average bucks or a chance at a big buck (better chance in some of the units than others)? How many hunting in family? Are you open to Special Tag or Regular tags?
My thought is maybe the top person with points put in for a unit you want to hunt with the amount of public land and potential quality. Then next year or two do another tag and so on depending how many hunting and ages in your group so you have multiple years experiences and memories. Just a thought. I like to focus on helping one family member have a great hunt at a time and the others can come along for fun and learning.

Additional questions- are you wanting a good hunt for average bucks or a chance at a big buck (better chance in some of the units than others)? How many hunting in family? Are you open to Special Tag or Regular tags?
My thought is maybe the top person with points put in for a unit you want to hunt with the amount of public land and potential quality. Then next year or two do another tag and so on depending how many hunting and ages in your group so you have multiple years experiences and memories. Just a thought. I like to focus on helping one family member have a great hunt at a time and the others can come along for fun and learning.
I agree. It sounds like it could possibly be three people with 26 points. Is it 8,8,10 or something more drastic like 6,6,14. Depending on your goals, you could split up and the person with the most hunt one of the "premier" tags and the others hunt a neighboring unit, but still stay and hunt together.

No problem killing 3 goats in a 8 point unit in a week's time, just depends what your goals are and what kind of hunt you want.

The biggest question is still regular priced or special?

Also, do you want to camp or be close to a motel/town?

First thing I'd do is look at odds and see what I could draw. Then I'd look at accessible public land, and how many people I have to contend with.
What do you call this method? If you don’t have a name for it I would suggest the word research ?

Yes it is research or could also be called homework!
He’s doing it exactly the way he should.
I don’t have any useful info for him but if I did I would be happy to help.
However there was some good advice given.

Thank you all, for the quick replies. I really appreciate it ! My wife has 11, I have 10, and my daughter has 5. I would like to stay in the regular draw. I would sleep in my truck, but my wife and daughters would love a room. ?. I have hunted Wyoming, but it was years ago. I just want them to have a great experience. Thanks again for all your responses

Just a few to think about and look into that you should draw and find what you are looking for, but you need to look at quotas when they come out to see if they went down or not as well as the season dates:

52, stay in Saratoga
106, stay in Lander
74, stay in Riverton
89 or 90, stay in Pinedale

Does it have to be a Type 1 hunt in Sept, in order to fit your schedule? If you wait until a Type 2 hunt, with Oct 1st opener you are a lock on twice as many hunts, the quality is still there, and most of the tourists and early hunters are all gone. Hotels are freed up, and prices drop too!!

Thank you all, for the quick replies. I really appreciate it ! My wife has 11, I have 10, and my daughter has 5. I would like to stay in the regular draw. I would sleep in my truck, but my wife and daughters would love a room. ?. I have hunted Wyoming, but it was years ago. I just want them to have a great experience. Thanks again for all your responses

Here's what I would do. Split your wife's points with your daughter this year and you just go along. Then next year you split your points with your daughter. hunt a 7-8 point unit this year and a 4-5 point unit next year. Or vice versa and you split this year and your wife next. this way you get 4 tags for basically the same points. You need to take advantage of those youth tags.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom