8" cutters on Lopes?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
From seeing and posting on PaleHorse's posts about his brothers lope in another thread, I've seen several antelope with 7" cutters and even managed to take one. 8" though, would seem to be a VERY exceptional number. Anybody out there get one with a full 8" cutters? Thanks!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON May-18-12 AT 09:20AM (MST)[p]Joey,
Keep in mind the prong measurement is from the back of the horn to the tip of the prong. so the length is a little more than what you see sticking out. So a goat with exceptional mass and an average prong can still get a very large prong credit.

This is the buck I will be after this year in CO. We named him cutters. Don't know for sure but we think he has over 9 inch cutters and will go in the 84ish range. Another hunter missed him last year at 150 yards. I'll let you know when I put a tape on him.

2176cutters.jpg

PH, Thanks, i'm not the best for sure but i can score them. Seems most I've seen here were up to 7" or a bit over. I'm not in any way doubting that your brothers is less than you stated. I just would like to see or hear of more monsters like his!

Marley, Thanks!! Hope you get him!!! Monster! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I know that many animals don't have the overall score to be listed, and many eligible animals are not listed, but....

Out of 3,271 pronghorn listed in B&C right now, only 13 have an 8" prong, and only 4 of those are 8" on both sides. Pretty rare.

The longest in the book is a 90 2/8" buck taken by Lanny Rominger in NM in 2002, with 8 5/8" prongs on both sides.

6782fp_romingerlanny_90_2.jpg

That Cutter buck pictured above had prongs the same size as his muzzle. The pic doesn't do him justice and he's lookin' to have a 200 grain accubond as an accessory in October.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-12 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]There is nothing cooler than a big old prong! I would sacrifice a little score and mass for a big old cutter! My first archery goat was 76" and very little prong. So prong is what I am looking for.

Good Luck Marley!

I killed one a few years back that had 7 5/8 and 7 6/8 prongs. Probably the closest I'll ever get to that 8" mark, in fact he's probably the biggest one I'll ever kill. I spotted him from close to a mile away and immediately knew he was the one I wanted to kill. After 4 hours of stalking I was able to smack him at under 100 yards.

ColoOak, Thanks for the Records info. I didn't think there were many, now i know. Also, that Pic? incredible!!!

WyoBC, That would float this boat!! Any Pic's, by Chance, that you could share with us.

I love looking over the Lopes to get a good one. Muleys and Blacktails were always my thing but i'm more and more getting my kicks out there looking for a good lope buck!

This Wyoming buck i took a few years back had 7" bases and 7" & 6 7/8 cutters. Probably a thousand or more like this one taken for every one with 8" cutters.
7366wy_09_other_side_lope_leaves.jpg

Joey

Last years buck. I knew this buck from the year before and called him "Heartbreaker" (deep heart shape from the front) He was a couple of inches bigger the year before but the tough winter knocked a couple of inches off everything. Weak lower mass but Super cool looking buck...those cutters come in just a smidge over 7 crazy looking hooks.. And most importanly he gave me a great hunt

5801.jpg

I do have pics somewhere, I'll have to dig them out and post em up. He's a goofy lookin buck! He's squatty (13 4/8 or so), but his mass and prongs pushed up over 83in. 83 5/8 i believe.

Sage, just FYI I killed it the same year you killed yours and in the same unit.

Thankks Guys!! Big cutters sre Cool, no doubt!! Big Mass is Cool too/also. Anyone seen 8" Bases? Pic's??

Thanks again to those that have posted up! More Pic's needed!! lol

Joey

I'll go you one better how about Cutters and MASS. I called this guy "Captain Hook" I could find him everyday but only could hunt him with my bow and he watered on private. His public stomping grounds were flat and barren and little chance to stalk him and too early for decoys. It was Wyoming and had to leave overseas to work before rifle or pretty sure I would have got him...he is one I will always remember.

5679hook-1.jpg

>Thankks Guys!! Big cutters sre Cool,
>no doubt!! Big Mass is
>Cool too/also. Anyone seen 8"
>Bases? Pic's??
>
>Thanks again to those that have
>posted up! More Pic's needed!!
>lol
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Not quite 8" but how about 7 4/8" on the 1st & 2nd measurement. Joey, I got this buck the same year you got the one you posted I think - 2009?? Anyway, not super tall but really nice mass, the rancher who's place I hunt on killed on that year that has 8" bases, I will try and get a picture of it this year if I can, its a brute of a buck. Anyway, here are a couple pictures - sorry about the quality:)
46261007091156a.jpg

2053img_0624.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-23-12 AT 11:30PM (MST)[p]Adwriter, Looking at that pic reminds me very much of the way my lope looked before i shot him. Mine lacks the downward hooks though. Thanks for sharing with us.

Oregon, that second pic really shows the stud buck that he is...Congrats and Thanks!!

bighorn, couple Dandy's for sure but that second buck is a dream buck for me!! WoWzer!!

Back in 87 i drew a great lope tag here in Nor Calif. I chased a big ol boy around a checkerboard of meadows and timber for 7 days, put a bunch of sneaks on him but never did get that "i got you now" shot that i so much wanted and held out for. In my dreams, he was very much like your lope but i never did get a shot or get to dirt check him so he still visits me late or very early from time to time...

8" cutters or 8" Mass, let's see some?? Thanks!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom