8 NR General Deer Points?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Not too sure what to do with this many points? Suggestions? Thinking Pine Valley ML or Rifle....maybe Thousand Lakes rifle? What would you do. Pm if necessary. Just looking for some honest help. TY!

Steve

I wished non res. could put in with res. I'd have you put in with me.
I waited too long to hunt Utah general. You can always email me if you have some suggestions. Would like to do an earlier hunt with Dad because we already have a CO 3rd season hunt in the works. Want a little time in between hunts so a late Sept hunt is ideal. Is this too many points to burn on a ML hunt? I guess it doesn't really matter as we'll make the best of the hunt regardless. :)

[email protected]

Yeah Wisz I got 9 general deer points as a res and I guess I could pretty much draw any deer unit at this point in the state , but I think I am just going to burn them on south slope vernal since live right there! plus pine valley has a ton of tags and I am not wanting to try to kill monster but just have a fun hunt! Maybe bobcat can give me place to hunt up here! good luck on your draw!
Joe

I open there for the next few days then I got Wednesday and Thursday off, yeah I wish they gave me a set day off.... but I will email you my number Bess!

Dealing with life, BESS...spent the last 2 months working on getting my daughter transferred over to UCLA. It was a nightmare. Shes there now and extremely happy. Starting first base...

dwisz.jpg

Was unaware that res and non res couldn't apply as a group....Better re-check the guidebook...I have done that before.

Was unaware that res and non res couldn't apply as a group....Better re-check the guidebook...I have done that before.
I'll look into it. That's just what I remember hearing a while back. If that's the case, I think I'll be taking the "founder" path to getting a tag every year from hear on out.

I couldnt imagine a Res could put in with NR's because there are more tags allotted for residents. Maybe it can only come out of the NR pool of tags?

Trix4me is correct. Just make sure the unit you apply has tags available to Residents and Nonresidents. If your group gets drawn there has to be those tags available in both pools or the entire group is unsuccessful. I’d almost recommend sharing your points with someone who has some knowledge over there Wiz. Go make a new friend and hope they aren’t BSing you. Lol. Worth a shot. We hunt the Ninemile unit if you ever need any information there. Lots of private. Pain in the behind. Awesome country. Bow hunted there last August. Deer numbers were brutal. Should be back up again since I’m not hunting it this year. Good luck to you. Maybe reach out to Ridgetops.

Would you to average the points of both applicants or would they go into the draw with the lowest point holder’s number?

Average rounding down
So would this example be correct?
On applicant has nine points the other applicant has two points
That equals 11÷2 = 5.5. The party application would go into the draw with five points correct?
Would that be the same for limited entry as well as general hunts?

For those of you with five-eight general deer points, have you just been putting in for points or has your luck been that bad to not draw a tag. I assumed any general deer tag could be had with 3-4 points but haven't looked at odds for those hunts.

I have had other hunts planned and Utah general was not high on my list but I continued to buy points. I actually had been putting in for Thousand Lakes for 6 years and never drew. Last couple years, I just put in for points.

For those of you with five-eight general deer points, have you just been putting in for points or has your luck been that bad to not draw a tag. I assumed any general deer tag could be had with 3-4 points but haven't looked at odds for those hunts.
deadibob
I have been applying for limited entry deer hunts and also buy a preference point at the same time. I have 12 preference points for general deer as a non-resident. Maybe I should team up with a resident that knows a good place to hunt general deer.
Anyone interested?

Ive been drawing LE Elk tags almost every year for the past 8 years! one of those years I guided my nephew in new mexico for elk. Now I just want to burn the deer points and I don't care if I shoot small buck this year, just want a fun hunt.

deadibob
I have been applying for limited entry deer hunts and also buy a preference point at the same time. I have 12 preference points for general deer as a non-resident. Maybe I should team up with a resident that knows a good place to hunt general deer.
Anyone interested?
I'm teaming up with someone this year with four points and I have two. I'll be interested next year.

I'm teaming up with someone this year with four points and I have two. I'll be interested next year.
ridgetops
I would be honored to share my points and team up with you.
Since Wizard started this thread I don’t want to hijack him though.
If it doesn’t work with him let’s talk.
I think I have the private conversations figured out. Thanks

Buckhorn.....I appreciate the concern but I think my Dad and I will need the points we've got in order to draw the hunt we want. I think bringing a 3rd person into the mix may cloud the effectiveness of sharing points. Do whatever you'd like to do but nice of you to show concern. Good luck!

let us know what unit you decide on, I don't hunt any of my old stomping grounds. I will be glad to pass any info I can come up with. Pretty cool that you have another daughter playing for the Bruins. Good luck

Ive been drawing LE Elk tags almost every year for the past 8 years! one of those years I guided my nephew in new mexico for elk. Now I just want to burn the deer points and I don't care if I shoot small buck this year, just want a fun hunt.
I’m in the same boat. I drew a LE deer tag in 2013 and since have been buying both general and LE deer pts. I don’t see me hunting Utah deer unless I get lucky on an LE hunt or I retire. In 3 years I’ll have about 8 general deer points.

I'm kinda in the same boat, 9 general PPs going into this year, the wife has 9 as well. And we bought another one this year.

My plan was to hunt a unit with a friend this year on my points, then hunt the same unit, with some knowledge next year with her. So I have to stick to rifle since that's all she does.

But once again, I have a conflict with another hunt.

I burned 5 non res on an early rifle deer in pine valley mainly because I've hunted it a bunch in archery. Was worth it.
So that Pine Valley early was pretty good, huh? It takes a good chunk of points. I was wondering if it's worth it.

I think that unit is hard to draw for any of the seasons. I know some guys feel that early hunt is tough because of the deer migration.

I ended up putting in for the General Muzzy Deer hunt on South Slope with my 9 pp because I will be up there after it ends for the general for elk hunt and I will be able to be up there while the elk are rutting and see where they are! :)

So that Pine Valley early was pretty good, huh? It takes a good chunk of points. I was wondering if it's worth it.
I thought so. Again I was very familiar with the area I was in. Since I usually hunt archery I'm used to being kind of alone out there in the center of the unit. With the early rifle I was unprepared for how many people I saw, some actually hunting, and lots driving around scouting for the next weeks rifle hunt.

Even though I thought I was in an area far removed from any normal dirt road there was a ton of 4 wheelers and SXS in the area where I had camped. Ultimately I was able to use the pressure to my advantage, pattern the new movements in and out of the water, and get a nice 3x4 a few days into the hunt about 1 mile in from the nearest 4x4 trail.

I'm partial and I love the unit. I've hunted Monroe, bryce, Johns valley, and panguitch and find myself drawn to PV. It's easier to get to out of Vegas, so I scout more, and the hunting is always good.

I think that unit is hard to draw for any of the seasons. I know some guys feel that early hunt is tough because of the deer migration.

At least last year there were plenty of bucks around where I was. I was at about 5-6K in elevation. I'm not sure if they had migrated or if the ones I was seeing were resident bucks. I will say there were way less does then I see in August during archery so maybe some had migrated out. I would see fresh sign for does and bucks all over the place but wouldn't see them but I think that was due to the pressure. In august when doing archery I would rarely see a 4wheeler of another hunter, but during the early rifle I saw a ton.

Ultimately I would say that while there were less deer around, there were clearly still a ton in the country. Here's what I wrote in that thread a few days after the hunt;

Last edited:
Thousand Lake has been absolutely miserable the last 2 years. Hunted 7 full days last year hard and saw 4 two points and 3 spikes. It was awful and i hunted hard. Could have been very unlucky but where i usually see 20 does i was seeing like 4.

Do they migrate early down there or something?

Pine Valley’s main draw to me is that early usually until the end of the muzzleloader hunt the bucks stay high and in high densities. This is good (at least for me ) because it’s at least a 3 mile hike to some of the more prime areas and you can also go in different areas that are rugged that few hunt up on top of the mountain.

you can also target and pattern deer at lower elevation that are in pinions/junipers.

it’s a big hunt with lots of public land and roadless areas.

Once the early rifle and rifle starts deer will start moving off the mountain depending on weather (biggest bucks do I good job not getting too low before the general hunts end)

I live on the Zion unit and usually hunt Zion or Pine valley. Zion is a public land hunters nightmare unless you get snow.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom