800 lb. LaSals bear

M

Mistagain

My brother took a nice boar off the LaSals on Sat. May 3. Estimated weight was 275 lbs. when he hit the ground and quickly grew to 800 lbs. by the time we packed him out to the truck. Great hunt. The bears seem to be moving now and it should be great hunting during the next couple of weeks for those lucky enough to have drawn a tag.
Best of luck to all.
LJ

Hey Mistagain!Glad to see that 800lb bear shrunk down to 275! These guys would have been bustin your balls about 800 lbs! Glad to see guys are gettin springers!

Hey Nevermissed,

I was travelling the freeway (I-15) Friday AM, and I saw a few big shows headed south. There isn't any mistaking the boys headed for the hills. 4 wheelers, riggin platforms and all those wet black noses out the side of the box.

Congratulations to your brother. When I read the "800 lbs" I was getting ready to amazed. 800 pounds in Utah, I don't hink our Salmon runs are good enough to feed one up that big. If sheep weren't so high in cholesterol we may have one live that long. Remember old Ephraim? What color was the bear, and who were the dog guys that went with him? Did they have much company down there while they were hunting?

Good Job! See Ya, KattSkatt

Don't sweat the bear growing. They could take the first 4 bears checked in off the Lasals this spring and their combined weight probably won't make 800 lbs, but you know hound guys.

Never been a bear treed that wasn't a 400 lb boar, never been a tom treed that wasn't 8 foot 200 plus lbs. At least I've never heard of one.

I hope you stopped all the outfits on the Lasals and got some autographs cuz they are all legends. Just stop any of them and ask. Legends, every one of them!! Gather those autographs cuz they'll be worth millions someday.

This year should be about the same for me. I'll piddle around a little with with bears this spring, and then come the middle of June I'll get serious and go hard until the snow flies. :)

It's a proven plan for avoiding the hounding rush. I may head to the Lasals later when the season ends to drink all of Ed's beer, hang out with his Gallup Gals, and get some autographs from the few remaining legends that still have a dog with pads left.

-Dawg

LAST EDITED ON May-06-03 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]Hi Harry, Traxx, and Daug--
The bear was an honest 250 to 275 lbs but by the time we packed him out Daniel Boone style on a 12 foot quakie limb he sure seemed to gain weight. Pure black with some nice personality scars on his nose.
My first time on a bear hunt with dogs and it was a great hunt. I took a nice brown bear in Alaska a few years ago but this was an entirely different experience. The dog guys were from Levan and I'd best not mention names without permission. I was impressed with their dedication to their sport -- they treat those dogs like family members. They did a great job for us. Several outfits, maybe 6 to 8, down there with dogs but it certainly was not crowded.
I did notice a mass migration of little critters, i.e. ticks and fleas, that traveled from a cooling host (the bear) to a warming host (me, and others) as we packed the beast out to the truck. I would much prefer a bite from the bear than a bite from a flea. I took a few flea bites during my trapping days and it seemed like every one of them became infected and took weeks to heal.
Anyway, it was a fun hunt and I have a new respect for the hound man. Sounds like you guys are hound men so I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new. I'll enjoy the memories and the pictures while I'm waiting for November to get here so I can do something about the buffalo tag I drew this year. Can't wait to get down to the Henrys.
Good hunting,
LJ

Levan, blacktop, asphalt, WW Clydes, Quiting for deer season,Divorce, Ruger 45 long colt, Sheriffs Deputys, Jail, Boulder Utah, Inbred Hounds.Trapping, head pinned to a tree by lion. Yea I know some hound guys from Levan friends of the family?Family friends?cell mates, All qualitys I admire in a man.
Mulehound.

Hound guys from Levan huh? Well, that just narrowed it down to about 150 guys in Levan then. ;-)

Congrats on the bear and your story is pretty amazing. At least the part about "having respect" for someone from Levan.

I may print out your post for future posterity. I've never seen the words "respect" and "Levan" in the same sentence before.

Heh heh. -Dawg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom