8mm Remington Mag

Lhedrick1

Anyone own one of these? Curious on what would be the best bullet (handloading) in the 200 grain variety. Something that will hold together at shots inside of 100 yards and out to 500 yards.

Also, what's the barrel life like on one of these assuming you don't boil eggs on it?

And recoil.....comparable to a 30-378 Wby?

I have never shot an 8mm but I used to own a 7mm STW for several years and it was by far the hardest recoiling round I have ever shot, and that includes a lightweight 300 Weatherby and 338. I'm not sensitive to recoil that much but after 10 or 15 rounds I would start to get pretty fatigued. I would think it would be a great all around cartridge and would be perfect for elk. I say go for it if you have the chance to buy. I love those nostalgic type rounds.

I've heard that about the STW lots a recoil and you only get about 1000 rounds before the barrel is toast.

8mm mag seems like such a neat forgotten round, be fun to experiment with. Has to be a stellar killer for larger game. But some would argue an Elk woukdnt know the differance between an 06 or a 8mm mag. Kinda gotta agree

loaded mine up with 220 hornady SP's and they work great close up or far away....of course Hornady quit making them...got 100 rnds left which will last me the rest of my hunting days...

I have a Rock Creek barreled 8mm mag. It shoots 200 gr partitions into half inch or better groups at 3050 fps. I was loading them to 3150 fps but the recoil was a little too much for me. I've killed 3 deer, 3 bears and a big bodied bull elk with it. Shots were 75 to 200 yards on the deer and bears and 450 yards on the elk. The partitions performed well on all occasions. If the partition doesn't shoot accurately for you, the Accubond should perform similarly.
NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Admittedly I’ve never fired that cartridge but I’ve used a 325 WSM, ...which is an 8mm short mag, pretty extensively with the Barnes TSX 200 grain bullet and 69 grains of RL-19 but it’s late so don’t quote me on the powder charge.
It’ll kill anything and everything DRT.
I like it and if you like it, get one and get to killin’.

Zeke

The .300 Weatherby either needs some TLC or a new barrel. If the later, I am thinking 8mm mag would be cool AF :cool:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom