9,19,191 info?

W

westernhunter1

hey everyone i am thinking about getting a leftover deer tag for these units but am unnsure about any of them. i just moved to the fort collins area this year for school. i have some kick ass shed huntin, and huntin spots on the western slope if thats any incentive(eagle county).....i didnt draw any of the units i applied for...thanks in advance for any information! i hunt hard and am willing to hike a lot to get a decent buck this year! thanks again everyone! happy hunting

For all the traffic the poudre canyon gets it really isnt a bad deer hunting place. The nice thing is you can usually do some good with a spotting scope from the road then go after them. The lower cherokee park area also has some good spots. There are several state wildlife areas you should check into also. Gary

I have hunted the lower cherokee and lone pine units ,though it has been a few years ago,we always had to work hard but found some nice bucks.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-08 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]anyone know anything about the comanche peaks area of unit 19? is it worth spending much time scouting next spring/summer.

i did a little scouting at the end of the summer, but not enough to get a good feel for how good/bad of an area it would be to hunt. saw a couple of small bucks while hiking through some pines. saw a bull moose too, for what thats worth...

Depends....It's a beautiful area but you will not see many deer. If you find a nice buck then consider yourself lucky. If you manage to find him during the season, then go buy yourself a lottery ticket.

thanks for the input himtnhntr.

are there any good areas in unit 19, or did is it still pretty sparse after they cleared much of the population due to cwd?

20 years ago we always got good bucks in 191,the last two trips we hardly found any deer,just a couple of small bucks we passed on. Deer are few and far between on public land.Nowif you can get access to private land you can still find some good bucks.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-08 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-08 AT 06:20?PM (MST)

The DOW issues somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 buck tags for those units. That's just for the rifle seasons, there are many more for the archery/muzzleloader. That is a ridiculous amount. I have talked at length with the biologist in charge of these areas. The bottom line is that hunters, via survey, have evidently communicated that they like to trip over each other in search of 2-year-old forkies instead of hunting for older-age bucks. Between the culling that was conducted a few years ago in a futile attempt to erradicate CWD, and the fact that the DOW continues to issue tags to anyone and his brother, it is going to continue to be very hard to find a nice buck on public land in these areas. Unit 9 needs to be separated from these units in terms of management. Unit 9 is all private, so hunters are funneled to what public land deer country they can find in 19/191. It's a slaughter and mostly a waste of time if you are looking for a nice buck unless you get to some remote coutry, and get very, very lucky. If you want there to be opportunies to hunt older-age bucks in these areas instead of fighting over what few deer there are, then tell the DOW by writing a letter and then communicating that via survey if/when you have the opportunity. On top of that there are a host of range improvements that would benefit deer, but no money/support for such causes around here.......

I still hunt around these areas as late as I can and I still see at least one good buck a year but I don't always have a tag at that time usually have my second cow tag on hand. After the DOW killed all the deer for their "cwd study" it will take forever for the herd to recover. Every year I see more and more Mountain lion kills and tracks, but I don't see the lion hunters anymore. And I'll tell you why cause the DOW harassed these hunters so much, accussing many of the guys as running illegal outfitting business'. Colorado officials need to pull their heads out of their asses for ten seconds or else the future of hunting in Colorado is gonna be gone.
I already go to other states cause they offer better hunting chances for deer and the prices aren't bad either.

thanks for the info guys. i am new to CO (fort collins) and am just getting started on finding a decent place to hunt deer on public land next archery season.

i grew up in southern IL hunting whitetails so the whole gmu and draw/point system is new to me. if you have any tips on where a guy should start trying to find a place to hunt, please share. i have learned a bit from this website and by word of mouth, but dont really even know where to begin scouting, or what areas i would have a chance at drawing with no points.

thanks again for the info. i am open to any wisdom anyone has to share...

thanks for the info guys. i am new to CO (fort collins) and am just getting started on finding a decent place to hunt deer on public land next archery season.

i grew up in southern IL hunting whitetails so the whole gmu and draw/point system is new to me. if you have any tips on where a guy should start trying to find a place to hunt, please share. i have learned a bit from this website and by word of mouth, but dont really even know where to begin scouting, or what areas i would have a chance at drawing with no points.

thanks again for the info. i am open to any wisdom anyone has to share...
I’m from southern Il also and am planning to make a trip out there this winter. Would you be willing to pm me?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom