9 points to draw G in the special

fullthrottle

Very Active Member
9 points to draw G in the special? You’ve got to be kidding me! Any chance Wyoming would ever do an archery only hunt in G? If not, guess I’ll be moving!

It's doubtful that would be constitutional. if it were then it could apply to all state residency requirements the state has control of.

It couldn't be argued the state was insuring NR hunters didn't obtain tags from resident quotas years after they took up legal residence.

Bout F'N Time You Pay Attention To One Of My Posts!

You Ain't Working That 'MOVING BACK TO WYOMING" To Your Advantage,Are You?

JUDAS!

What are you doing reading posts about hunting? And for the record I’m moving back to WY in Feb. let this be notice to all utards who park their trucks where I’m at. #chopped

9 points to draw G in the special? You’ve got to be kidding me! Any chance Wyoming would ever do an archery only hunt in G? If not, guess I’ll be moving!
Seems like a big gamble to move to a new state for a deer tag that you aren’t eligible for for another year and a half. A lot can change it that time but if your willing, welcome to Wyoming.

According to GoHunt it was 75% draw odds for a non-ressy with 9 points in 2022. So an additional point of creep each year? That is rough. So maybe this year your odds would be 25% on the regular who knows.

Why not? only increases revenue, would get rid of some of the competition in the rifle G and we all know the success rate would be low on the archery hunt. Seems like a no brainer to me

Why not? only increases revenue, would get rid of some of the competition in the rifle G and we all know the success rate would be low on the archery hunt. Seems like a no brainer to me
There’s already an archery hunt FFS.

Start an archery hunt and then when it gets to 9 points to draw what will you guys cry about next? August hunt?

HaHa. Not crying, just an idea... defensive little feller aren't ya. By the time G archery tag gets to 9 points the rifle tag would be at 20+. I would be willing to bet the percent of nonresidents who draw a G tag and go hunt those mountains with a bow is extremely low. Probably somewhere in the single-digit percent range. But I get it, what a sweet little nest egg the residents have. Why the hell would you want to change or bring any attention to screw that up.

HaHa. Not crying, just an idea... defensive little feller aren't ya. By the time G archery tag gets to 9 points the rifle tag would be at 20+. I would be willing to bet the percent of nonresidents who draw a G tag and go hunt those mountains with a bow is extremely low. Probably somewhere in the single-digit percent range. But I get it, what a sweet little nest egg the residents have. Why the hell would you want to change or bring any attention to screw that up.
Nothing is stopping you from hunting the rifle season with a bow. The deer already get hunted for over 30 days in parts of G. Give the deer a fricking break.

Why is everyone trying to change it for their agenda?

Nothings stopping me from hunting the current archery season with a bow... Not asking for a new season. Just make it two separate seasons for the nonresidents, and separate the tags accordingly. Cut the rifle tags for non residents by 100, in return give out 200 archery only tags. Think about it; more revenue, less rifle competition from the long range Utards, and lower success rates from the archery guys. All while saving more big bucks for you. 100 less guys on the mountain bombing them with rifles, and low success rates with bows.

You're 100% correct, I am a selfish Bast, and would like more opportunity hunting bucks in that country. More than once every 10, 15, who knows how many years. How about a recurve only tag? Slingshot? Give me something. I didn't start this post to stir the pot, just making the point, it sucks that I'll likely only be able to get a tag 2 maybe 3 more times in my lifetime. I guess go H, and maybe hunt it 4 or 5 times. And that's buying points for every Tom, Dick, Harry I know.

I just hope I can relocate in time to get in on some of the action before the residents get an eye opener. I imagine that is coming sooner than we think. Especially with the way the outfitters push their weight around.

Nothings stopping me from hunting the current archery season with a bow... Not asking for a new season. Just make it two separate seasons for the nonresidents, and separate the tags accordingly. Cut the rifle tags for non residents by 100, in return give out 200 archery only tags. Think about it; more revenue, less rifle competition from the long range Utards, and lower success rates from the archery guys. All while saving more big bucks for you. 100 less guys on the mountain bombing them with rifles, and low success rates with bows.

You're 100% correct, I am a selfish Bast, and would like more opportunity hunting bucks in that country. More than once every 10, 15, who knows how many years. How about a recurve only tag? Slingshot? Give me something. I didn't start this post to stir the pot, just making the point, it sucks that I'll likely only be able to get a tag 2 maybe 3 more times in my lifetime. I guess go H, and maybe hunt it 4 or 5 times. And that's buying points for every Tom, Dick, Harry I know.

I just hope I can relocate in time to get in on some of the action before the residents get an eye opener. I imagine that is coming sooner than we think. Especially with the way the outfitters push their weight around.
Think about it? Ok… no. That’s just all we need is more utards throwing arrows. Think of all those wounded bucks that will die. And 100 less rifle tags will really help the point creep!

How about we leave it the same. And if you want to bowhunt you take your bow?

There are non residents hunting G and H almost yearly. It can be done. If it’s important enough for you to hunt that country move there. No need to change the system. Change your life.

People have been crying on here some 1999 that the residents would soon be on a draw. It’s been over 20 years and no resident restrictions and likely none coming in the foreseeable future. Especially with a couple mild winters under their belt…

Sweet! I don't want to see resident restrictions. You know if/when that day comes the mule deer are hurting big time.

Sweet! I don't want to see resident restrictions. You know if/when that day comes the mule deer are hurting big time.
I know it’s a pipe dream but a few years back they reduced the non res quota for G and H. I think a more attainable goal would be to get that quota back if the population comes back. Alas likely a pipe dream. Crack pipe…

Think about it? Ok… no. That’s just all we need is more utards throwing arrows. Think of all those wounded bucks that will die. And 100 less rifle tags will really help the point creep!

How about we leave it the same. And if you want to bowhunt you take your bow?

There are non residents hunting G and H almost yearly. It can be done. If it’s important enough for you to hunt that country move there. No need to change the system. Change your life.
harvest odds tell the story. Split the rifle from the archery hunt, reduce point creep, sell more hunts or the same amount, improve quality of hunting for all. No brainer. How many bow hunters actually get an arrow in a deer may add a basis point or two to the harvest success total mortality will be, but still relatively very low.

harvest odds tell the story. Split the rifle from the archery hunt, reduce point creep, sell more hunts or the same amount, improve quality of hunting for all. No brainer. How many bow hunters actually get an arrow in a deer may add a basis point or two to the harvest success total mortality will be, but still relatively very low.
The rifle is split from the archery. The only difference is you can use your bow during rifle too.

Why do we need more hunts? How will it improve the quality? Maybe all the archery elk hunters don’t want more people in the woods that time of year?

Bowhunters are the worst when it comes to wounding game. An arrow doesn’t compare to a bullet. Way easier to get a second shot in with a rifle than a bow too.

You can hunt deer in G and H longer with a bow than a rifle. It doesn’t need to change.

The rifle is split from the archery. The only difference is you can use your bow during rifle too.

Why do we need more hunts? How will it improve the quality? Maybe all the archery elk hunters don’t want more people in the woods that time of year?

Bowhunters are the worst when it comes to wounding game. An arrow doesn’t compare to a bullet. Way easier to get a second shot in with a rifle than a bow too.

You can hunt deer in G and H longer with a bow than a rifle. It doesn’t need to change.
It’s the same tag, therefore, archery hunters are competing with rifle hunters for the same hunt. Pull the archery hunters out and separate them. They won’t have the opportunity to come back with a rifle. It will take competition away from the rifle tags - and make both the rifle and archery hunt easier to draw. Archery hunters can hunt more often and it will take less points to draw the rifle hunt. Win win

What are you doing reading posts about hunting? And for the record I’m moving back to WY in Feb. let this be notice to all utards who park their trucks where I’m at. #chopped
Where are you moving to in Wyoming?

To be fair I have 16 points for deer in utah and have a 1% chance of drawing a book cliffs archery tag which in my opinion is a way lesser tag than a region G tag.

I've seen alot of pissed off posts for the difficulty of drawing tags here but it isn't any easier for us to draw out of state tags. A majority of the good utah units only give 1 non resident tag so my 16 points are worthless. So 9 points for the opportunity to kill a 180"+ deer isn't all that bad compared to other states.

So G is know for the high country hunt. Is there any decent hunting in the lower elevations?

Last edited:
I'd rather hunt an easy to draw general unit every few years rather than waiting almost a decade for unit G.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom