90/10 Split for deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose, and goat

jims

Long Time Member
Copied and pasted from my other post: If all species are switched to a 90/10 split would you agree that there would be economic impacts that significantly effect the WG&F, the state of Wyoming, and small town economies? Please don't beat around the bush and answer my question yes or no!

Notice that I mentioned "ALL" species....this includes elk, deer, antelope, moose, sheep, and goats. A yes or no answer please?

They could try and offset the loss in revenue by raising the cost of resident tags significantly, which would send the residents of Wyoming into an absolute tailspin. Deeply conservative areas don't like paying for government services or the use government resources. Their F&G budget has been in bad shape as it is.

Not to mention a state as keen on outfitter welfare as Wyoming is probably not going to kick the outfitters in the jimmy by cutting their clients down.

The lottery tags were a good idea, I hope it raised some money to help out their budget and wildlife.

Wyoming residents have some of the best hunting around, and locals that know what their doing can obtain cheap tags and harvest trophy animals year after year. They really have very little to complain about in comparison to other states.

They're not going to lose out on anything. Nowadays tag demand is so high that almost all the leftover tags eventually sell. That has to offset lower quotas and a smaller split to NR. Add to that an eventual fee increase.They,whoever they are, can do whatever they want. It's just hard to understand why they would in such a controversial way. The NR revenue helped them get where they are and this animosity is unwarranted. Is there an appointment in someone's future?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-14 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]Elk will lose about 350K because of the Special/Regular licenses. Because we're allocated 7,250 and the Special GEN is already in a surplus condition, those licenses will move to the Regular side at about a $500 decrease.
Antelope probably won't lose any because most will sell in the leftovers. The loss of app fees on the NR side could be more than made up with LE app fees on residents. I would guess the same is true for Deer.
In the end, the resident Antelope and Deer app and PP fees could more than make up the NR Elk loss.
All the Sheep, Goat, etc tags will sell so it's just app and PP fees. I suspect residents with more opportunity will make up any shortage with slight fee/license increases.

No net loss, that's what I get off the top of my head.

I don't see outfitters, mom/pops, and small communities letting it go without a fight. Based on what I saw in Ten Sleep and a cpl other small communities this year and their "hunter day" festivities, they like hunters.

I do think there would be some impact on small communities, but not as much as everyone assumes. I grew up in one of these small isolated communities.

Twenty years ago, there was more reliance on these small business to support NR hunters. Anymore, about the only thing that hunters don't bring with them is fuel.

There are some that will take their game in to be hung or maybe cut up at the local processing business, but those that cut up their own will still do it at home. There is not different for residents. Those that want it processed will do it there or when they get home.

No one goes to these little grocery stores to buy their food. Not when they drive by 50 Wal-Marts on their way to WY. And if they/you do, let me be the first one to thank you for buying it there. I'm sure it will be a short list of thank yous.

py

Here the "The Economic Impacts of Hunting and Fishing in Colorado."
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/About/Reports/Revised2004DOWEconomicImpactReport.pdf

According to the report Non-resident hunters and anglers spent more money per day, on average, than residents did.

This was taken directly from their report: Non-resident big game hunters spent an estimated $321 per day, while resident big game hunters spent about $102. Non-resident hunters and anglers contributed $332 million, or 42 percent, of the statewide trip and equipment expenditures. Non-resident hunters and anglers brought money into the Colorado economy that would probably have gone to another state if not for Colorado?s variety of hunting and fishing opportunities.

I have already been contacted by the sponsor of the bill. It does not include elk, deer & antelope.

That will never happen(90/10 elk, deer & antelope) anytime soon.

NO keep it the way it is!!! Let's work on getting other states to increase non resident quotas instead of spending our time trying to screw the non residents over!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom