90/10 will pass...now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS!

Long Time Member
Ok we know 90/10 is likely going to pass. What more can be done to improve the resident hunting experience? Any ideas?

I'm thinking no hunting on Sunday if you're a non resident. This shouldn't have near the blow back since utah hunters love their sunday to go sit at church.

Is this something we all can agree on? What else?

I’m thinking we need to reinitiate the Cheyenne Social Club to improve hunter morale and welfare, especially after a long hard hunt.
E02E98B2-A603-4F60-A2F7-FA7FC39138A9.png

90/10 isn’t enough for wyo res.

Make it 90/10 in each county. If you live within the carbon county boundaries you get 90/10 limited tags in carbon. If you live in Natrona or Albany you only get 90/10 of the tags set aside for those county tags.

That's the Wyoming attitude that we all love,?
I burned my goat and elk points this year, so I just need to dump my deer and then you can change it 100% resident draw. Who wants to hunt Wyoming anyways? ?
Obviously you and a bunch of other nonres duhhh!! Your state’s makes changes and you don’t get what ya want there so ya think Wyo should hmmm nope, can’t wait for Wyoming to make changes and wished they could do it over night!! ?

Get over yourself DD, ? look into the sarcasm and see how you look to everyone around you.

So quick to jump on the band wagon to bash the NR's. Kinda funny?

Have friends from your great state of Utah that used to hunt deer every year well guess what Utah made changes now they don’t, so get over yourself and stick to Utah then just sayin

I was gonna say! I’ve got buddies that hunt every year from out of state, that’s what they like to do so they get what they can, ended up with a 3rd choice deer tag this year, never been there but wanted to hunt so he’s doing it. Opportunities are there and I’m sure they will be for years to come even with changes.

If it's OK with you, I will be over this weekend scouting for antelope.
Spending my $$ supporting my Wyoming friends economy.
Yeah, spend all you want here, might help my friends and family!

But please leave you grumpy a$$ attitude in your own state.

If it's OK with you, I will be over this weekend scouting for antelope.
Spending my $$ supporting my Wyoming friends economy.

I'd rather you stayed in utah...thanks for going all out supporting the wyoming economy with your $20 fuel purchase.

Another fine post by Buzz the buerocrat and his plus 1.....now we only need the icing on the Wyoming fruit cake SS to chime in.

I hope Wyoming does switch to the 90/10. Sick and tired of non residents pushing residents out. I get the arguments but dammit with population increases and increased tag demands take care of the residents first. Same should be for every state IMO. Economies changes over time. Sucks but that's reality

I hope Wyoming does switch to the 90/10. Sick and tired of non residents pushing residents out. I get the arguments but dammit with population increases and increased tag demands take care of the residents first. Same should be for every state IMO. Economies changes over time. Sucks but that's reality
Could you give an example of "non-residents pushing residents out"?

Also, how does Wyoming's economy, changing over time, have an effect on the R/NR tag distribution?

Colorado is a great example in nonresident vs resident. Colorado doesnt truly give the residents a great priority.

With the loss of non resident tags local economies will be affected. That will require adaptation or losses it they don't. Sucks but with increasing human population completion for a limited resource is very real. States have claimed ownership to wildlife even if on federal lands. So with the state ownership of game, residents should get greater precidence.

Here's an update from the Bighorn Basin Task Force meeting:

By: Mark Davis
The Big Horn Basin’s three members of the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force didn’t waste time with a lot of introductions on Tuesday, getting straight into listening to area hunters, outfitters, landowners and business owners. Before they closed, the group at the Park County Fairgrounds had waded through a myriad of major issues and headed straight for the weeds.

Task force members Rep. Jamie Flitner, R-Greybull, Park County Commissioner and outfitter Lee Livingston and former outfitter and Park County landowner Duaine Hagen scheduled the listening session to get feedback on possible proposals and develop new ideas. Gov. Mark Gordon assembled the team of 18 individuals with hopes of developing acceptable proposals.

There was trepidation the meeting could turn contentious, as hunting and wildlife issue passions run deep here. The broad subject matter — from license allocation and the weapons hunters can use to invasive species and the overall sustainability of wildlife and the Wyoming Game and Fish Department — has the potential to be overwhelming.

Yet, despite facing the possibility of costlier licenses and fees for residents and the typical divides between groups in attendance, there were few fireworks. The small but well-prepared crowd was eager to dive head-first into the conversation, only ending due to time restrictions. None of the issues are quick fixes and each comes with consequences to the species and harvests.

“I think the reason these issues have been so hard to solve is because they are so intricate and intertwined and complicated that, if you make one little tweak, there are likely to be unintended consequences,” Flitner said.

Resident hunters are frustrated with limited licenses, access, and overall opportunities to hunt. Only one proposal — to change the distribution of “the big five” hunting licenses (moose, sheep, grizzly, goat and bison) and offer 15% more to residents — received close to a consensus during Tuesday’s listening session. But even the seemingly most popular proposal comes with several sticking points.

Changing the distribution to a 90%/10% resident/non-resident split will cost the Game and Fish department about $200,000 in revenue. It also has the potential to put off tourism to the state at a time when increased tourism is seen as a possible fix for decreasing mineral extraction revenue, and it includes a species (the grizzly bear) that’s still listed for protections under the Endangered Species Act. Even if the change is made, it won’t substantially increase Wyomingites’ odds of drawing coveted big five tags, Flitner said. The proposal would also limit hunters to a once-in-a lifetime opportunity, regardless of harvest results.

A move to similarly change the split with elk, deer and antelope licenses to increase allocation to resident hunters could cost the Game and Fish Department millions of dollars. Only non-residents are required to buy preference points for ungulates and, in doing so, they subsidize resident hunting, Flitner said. Game and Fish is mostly funded by hunters and federal taxes from the sale of hunting and fishing equipment. None of the department’s current funding comes from the State of Wyoming’s general funds.

“At what point do we get so high that it is just a rich man sport,” Livingston said of allowing the market to determine the price. “If you run it like a business, do you drive folks away?”

If the price of resident licenses went up about $10, that could increase Game and Fish revenues by about $1 million, Flitner said. But the department brings in millions from the sale of non-resident preference points for the right to hunt in the future.

Hagen cautioned against turning away non-resident hunters.

“We better start looking at revenue in the state,” he said. “We’re going to lose a lot of revenue we take for granted.”

Tourism, including from non-resident hunters, is the second-largest source of revenue in Wyoming. Limiting non-resident hunting also affects family members, like those who have moved out of state but would still like to come home to hunt with family in Wyoming.

Offering fewer non-resident licenses could also drive away out-of-state hunters who are unwilling to wait several years to draw a tag, Livingston pointed out. There’s a fear that the preference points system is unsustainable, with hunters likely having to wait decades before accumulating enough preference points to obtain a license.

Those in attendance offered suggestions to alleviate frustrations by hunters unable to draw a tag, pulling some concepts from neighboring states.
lg.php

Livingston said the task force is willing to listen to all ideas, but Wyoming is unique due to its low population and abundance of game.

“On the surface it seems like well, other states are doing it, we should do it. But I think we need to look at what works for Wyoming,” he said. “Other states have millions of people in them and a smaller wildlife resource than Wyoming does. So that needs to be addressed. If we’re going to move forward with something, I don’t think there’s a one-size fits all [remedy]. But I do understand the frustration with folks not being able to draw tags.”

Task force members and those in attendance both agreed on the most important issue: protecting habitat and wildlife resources.

“I think the number one issue is resource management,” Flitner said. “We want to make sure Wyoming continues to have the best wildlife of any state in the nation.”

Healthy habitat and wildlife management, as well as conservation of non-game species in Wyoming, is largely paid for through the sale of hunting licenses and fees.

“It isn’t about me. It can’t be just about me,” said Powell resident Tim Metzler. “It’s got to be about everybody and all of our opportunities, but we still have to leave something in the field. We always need to be concerned about what we leave in the field when we’re done.”

One proposal receiving positive reaction would make harvest surveys mandatory. Currently the state gives hunters the option of reporting success and failure in the field. Many in attendance supported a possible proposal requiring timely reporting of harvests or forfeiting future hunting rights.

Other issues discussed included: policies and practices that might support and incentivize private landowners as stewards of wildlife habitat; supporting outfitters and their guests to maximize the benefits to Wyoming’s economy and wildlife; the distribution of commissioners licenses; management schemes; and methods to improve and better serve Wyoming residents and wildlife. Also up for discussion is the long-term stability of the Game and Fish, poaching and its punishment, invasive species mitigation, trapping and hiking safety, wildlife traffic mortality, technology and fair chase hunting ethics, the Endangered Species Act and access for all hunters.

As the meeting progressed, the discussion leaped from specified topics to issues that probably won’t result in proposals from the task force. For instance, finding a way to tax non-consumptive users — like installing toll gates for tourists or finding a way to make the purchase of conservation stamps mandatory for hikers and wildlife watchers — made their way into the debate.

“We’re getting off into the weeds on those [topics],” Livingston warned.

But the task force members were there to listen and promised to schedule future listening sessions.

“This is a distance race, not a sprint,” Flitner said. “In the end, not everybody’s going to be happy … There’s gotta be give and take on both ends.”

Task force members pleaded for comments, though hundreds throughout the state have already interacted with the group through online and hand-written comments.

“Please submit those comments,” Flitner told the Powell audience, “because you’d be amazed that, during the session when these issues come up, we don’t hear from people like you.”

For more information, visit sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce.

Treedagain, I'll be in Wyo scouting at least 3 more times and possibly hunting 1 to 3 times so will be spending my hard earned Colo cash to benefit local Wyo business as well!

Treedagain, I'll be in Wyo scouting at least 3 more times and possibly hunting 1 to 3 times so will be spending my hard earned Colo cash to benefit local Wyo business as well!
A big shout out to sebastian as well...your $20 bill you spend in wyoming will surely save wyoming's economy.

For the record, how much did you contribute to access yes this year? I noticed you weren't listed as a donor on the gf website.

Good! Put up and shut up!

raw.png

My hero! Ill be hunting colorado this year too so ill be supporting your state even more then i already have by purchasing 100$ preference points for deer and elk plus the licence but ill be there for at least 9 days too bad ill have to buy some stuff there but ill try not to. Ill leave as few dollars as possible and a couple gut piles for you

With this proposal, has then been any analysis to the loss of Pitman/Robert funds to the state?

I won't like it when things change in the Cowboy State but, as a nonresident, I can see the resident's perspective. They want more and want to share less. It's human nature.

Tag distribution percentages have nothing to do with resource management. It's simply hunter management and doesn't really impact the resource (unless residents are willing to concede that non residents are more effective hunters. haha).

I'm sure some of the residents have done the math and seen the small percentage that it would "potentially" benefit them and the comparatively huge negative impact it would be for the nonresident and yet we forge ahead because a minuscule % gain is, well, a gain.

I'll hunt the great state of Wyoming when given the chance and go elsewhere when not. Thanks for the opportunity when it comes.

Sad that we have the egos and faux-testosterone to deal with on these threads but that's to be expected since hunters are an independent bunch.

The changes are saddening and the reactions of a few, on both sides of this issue, are disappointing.

Zeke

"Task force members pleaded for comments, though hundreds throughout the state have already interacted with the group through online and hand-written comments.

“Please submit those comments,” Flitner told the Powell audience, “because you’d be amazed that, during the session when these issues come up, we don’t hear from people like you.”

you do realize they are asking for resident comments...

You might as well add to the synopsis you need written permission from Buzz to hunt in WY since he is making all the decisions from the back row of the audience.

Rich

Buzz, JM, and Bookhead how much $ have you contributed to the WG&F in the form of pref pt fees the past 16 years to hunt deer, elk, and antelope in Wyo?

At least in Colo the residents pay pref pt fees to help support the CPW. I might as well beat that bad boy with a stick because it doesn't sound like Wyo res appreciate the fact that nonres support 77% of the WG&F license revenue. I bet if you ask someone that is employed by the WG&F what they think of nonres you would get a totally different answer!

At least in Colo the residents pay pref pt fees to help support the CPW. I might as well beat that bad boy with a stick because it doesn't sound like Wyo res appreciate the fact that nonres support 77% of the WG&F license revenue. I bet if you ask someone that is employed by the WG&F what they think of nonres you would get a totally different answer!
Hey jims, how much have you donated to accessyes?

I've contributed $5000 out of my pocket in the last 20 years...

You haven't spent close to that in preference point fees...not even close. You can even add in all the people you've bilked out of their points...still not close.

Post up your hand written thank you notes from the GF Director(s).

AF36F403-73BF-4630-816E-2DC78C053F54.jpg

Post up a thank you for the donations the group you co-chair sends to the GF...something like this:

B3EC4A1B-E3A5-4C13-A474-AF36753A37101.jpg

Bottom line, you donate nothing, provide nothing but a few hundred bucks for a tag so you can run a bullet through another animal in Wyoming. You do absolutely zero else but complain. You take with both hands and give nothing back...exactly why I'm pushing 90-10 as hard as I can.

Oh, and if you tuned into the last commission meeting (you should have since you're so "concerned" about what we're doing)...you'd notice WYBHA just donated another $47,000 for a perpetual easement on Raymond Mountain...I'm sure a press release will be out soon on it.

Thanks for nothing...you're always on the take.

You might as well add to the synopsis you need written permission from Buzz to hunt in WY since he is making all the decisions from the back row of the audience.

Rich
Be sure to get your comments in from Oregon...I'm sure the task force will consider them.

Meanwhile, as per always, the work and the decisions are made by the Residents that have working relationships with the legislature, department, and task force.

You'll learn one of these days...maybe.

Buzz your the almighty king! You can put yourself on a pedestal and no one really cares.

The fact of the matter is if you add up total revenue contributed for license plus pref pt fees directly to the WG&F 77% comes from nonres each and every year.

That number could actually increase if 90/10 is defeated and nonres application numbers and costs continue to increase. You can be assured a chunk of nonres will drop out if 90/10 happens.

Buzz your the almighty king! You can put yourself on a pedestal and no one really cares.

The fact of the matter is if you add up total revenue contributed for license plus pref pt fees directly to the WG&F 77% comes from nonres each and every year.

That number could actually increase if 90/10 is defeated and nonres application numbers and costs continue to increase. You can be assured a chunk of nonres will drop out if 90/10 happens.
jims,

That would be you're...

That said, YOU'RE the guy perpetually on the take...and providing nothing in return. You don't care about small town economies in Wyoming any more than you care about funding the GF, Accessyes, or anything else. If there's nothing in it for you, you aren't interested...and that's a fact. ALL about Sebastian, ALL the time.

I've already told you how easily Wyoming Residents can come up with 1.78 million in revenue...add $3 to annual Resident fishing licenses, and $10 to all full price big game licenses.

I also believe raising type 6-7 tags to $50 per deer/pronghorn is way past due.

Want to bet I can make that happen?...

As I have said before I could really care less if it goes 90/10. The difference is I can sympathize with the guys that have been planning and spending money on the sheep and moose points looking forward to the day they would get to hunt. Wyoming can do anything it likes, just rough for guys who had their sites set on a once in a lifetime hunt. I get no pleasure in seeing fellow hunters lose an opportunity.

Rich

As I have said before I could really care less if it goes 90/10. The difference is I can sympathize with the guys that have been planning and spending money on the sheep and moose points looking forward to the day they would get to hunt. Wyoming can do anything it likes, just rough for guys who had their sites set on a once in a lifetime hunt. I get no pleasure in seeing fellow hunters lose an opportunity.

Rich
Yes, that is unfortunate...and that's called life.

Same thing has happened to me and countless others all across the West. Get used to it...won't be the last time either.

That said, I'd much rather WY residents get 30 more sheep tags a year...people that have also been waiting a long time for the opportunity and living here, working here, building lives here.

I have more concern for the Resident hunters in Wyoming...by a landslide.

If you could care less...just curious why you keep posting then?

It’s the world according to Buzz. The hopes and dreams of thousands of nonres are in your hands. There might as well not be a task force with buzz at the helm

Every nonres will be affected across the US from 90/10 with only a slight increase in draw odds to res. That’s what I care about. If tags tighten in wyo they will tighten even more in other states. Buzz could care less.

Buzz has 8 to 12 big game tags each year in his pocket and it isn’t enough…and I’m the selfish one.

You can insult me all you want but I’m not giving up and will continue to spread the word.

And they’ll be plenty of others to step in…

I watch wildlife issues just like you do Buzz. I didn’t realize I had to be exuberant that NRs get less tags in the future to post. I will ask your permission to post next time.
I’m waiting for the magical landowner/outfitter set asides that are coming now in this committee or in the next session.

Rich

Be sure to get your comments in from Oregon...I'm sure the task force will consider them.

Meanwhile, as per always, the work and the decisions are made by the Residents that have working relationships with the legislature, department, and task force.

You'll learn one of these days...maybe.
Not my state, why would I send in comments? Keep up the good work of making all the decisions in the State of Wyoming, it must be a heavy load to carry.

Rich

Sounds like the odds of DEA going to 90/10 are pretty slim. That just means we have to listen to Buzz tell us next year that he’s going to get it done.

Sounds like the odds of DEA going to 90/10 are pretty slim. That just means we have to listen to Buzz tell us next year that he’s going to get it done.
Likely an 85/15 on DEA with 5% of the NR going to an Outfitter pool though the details still being fleshed out. It’s still a gain for residents going from 80% of deer to 85%. :cool::cool::cool:

You need to pay attention...when 90-10 was first brought to the legislature it was about the big 5 only.

DEA was a response that came later...thanks to guys like you.

Likely an 85/15 on DEA with 5% of the NR going to an Outfitter pool though the details still being fleshed out. It’s still a gain for residents going from 80% of deer to 85%. :cool::cool::cool:
75/15/10. Residents would have access to 85 and more revenue for the State!

So you agree that DEA won’t be moving to 90/10?
I have no idea what the task force will recommend. The comments they're getting from Residents will determine that.

I know a lot of Residents want 90-10 across the board...we'll see.

My focus has always been on the big-5...and I won't be able to even hunt sheep again if the recommendation they propose passes. I'm good with that and testified in support of it at the task force meeting.

Nope it's FORTUNATE that when Buzz goes, leaving nothing but a couple scholarships.
And that's called life.
What’s fortunate is it’s allowed to kill young rams like your avatar. We’re not allowed to kill baby rams in AK. #agematters

Alot of guys would give a left nut to kill a desert that big!
Alot of guys wouldn't waste their time on a 4 year old ram too...and do the herd and tag some justice.

I'd go without before killing a young ram...fact.

Reactions: SS!
This is an old ram...11.5

dall4.jpg

This is an old ram, 9.5

IMG_3222.jpg

This is an old ram, 10.5

tomsram2.jpg

This is an old ram, over 9 for sure:

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Barely old enough desert, 8.5...wish this ram would have been around and I drew the tag a couple years later than I did...

IMG_0988.jpg

Really, considering how little you have to work with...I shouldn't be so critical of a 7 year average on your rams.

I apologize.

Really, considering how little you have to work with...I shouldn't be so critical of a 7 year average on your rams.

I apologize.
That's what Uncle Pat says, that you have little to work with? But that just life? Right?

Buzz, you're THE KING of rams, bucks, and bulls....I wish I was there to pat you on the back! Your true colors are coming out making fun of other hunter's critters.
Who did you bilk out of their points this year Sebastian?

How many NR hunters did you kick in the teeth to acquire another tag for yourself?

Oh, and 90-10 is going to pass for the big-5...you realize that right?

Turn anyone else in and falsely accuse them of illegal outfitting this year?

Buzz, you're THE KING of rams, bucks, and bulls....I wish I was there to pat you on the back! Your true colors are coming out making fun of other hunter's critters.
He is just upset that he is the punch line on most Wyoming jokes. #greatram

raw.png

Wyoming domestic abuse? JM77, Buzz and SS, you do realize it's against the law and the laws of nature how you treat your horse/girlfriend?

It always turns into photos, every single time. A 5 percent outfitter set aside is the same as 90/10 for the do it yourself guy on deer/elk/antelope.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom