9mm Mauser

C

Cooter

Help me out here, guys. I have an old pre WW II German sporting rifle that my dad gave me years ago. I killed my first mulie buck with it when I was a kid. It is deadly accurate with open sights when tossing out 245 gr softpoints (when you can find them). The rifling is in mint condition and the action is silky smooth. This is a true mauser, 9.0 x 57. I'm thinking about rechambering it since finding shells from this is so hard, the cat can't even scratch it. Old West Scrounger wants a second mortgage for these Kynoch shells and I'm trying to decide what rechambering a rifle costs and what caliber(s) would accept this action reasonably well without breaking the bank. Any and all hekp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks........

Cooter

is it a model 98? probably is. do you want to rebarrel it or rechamber it? if you rechamber it maybe a 9mm/'06 would be the way to go. sorta like the guy on another post here is going to do with a .338/'06. the bolt head should work ok without a bunch of modification that way too. if you rebarrel it, just about anything that has the same head size will work. again, the '06 would be a good choice. myself, especially if it is a mauser sporter, i'd keep it the way it is and try to aquire some brass and reload for it. 9x57's are pretty rare. lot's of 7x57's and 8x57's. don't see too many 9's. you can make brass by fire forming 7x57 or 8x57 ammo through your gun. just go to the range and shoot away. it'll be a 7 or 8mm when you put it in the gun, but when you take it out it'll be 9mm. i'm sure rcbs makes dies for a 9x57. you can find the 7 and 8mm ammo pretty easy. norma makes it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom