A 16yr old's Wyo Moose

dwalton

Very Active Member
Two days after my Colorado deer hunt, a friend of mine called me to see if I can help with his son's moose hunt. They hadn't been successful in locating a good bull, and his son had missed a couple of little bulls. The morning we headed out, the weather had turned cold, and there was quite a bit of snow on the ground. Right off the bat, we started seeing moose bedded on the mountain. I located a good bull, and James and his grandpa said they wanted to go after him. Just as we were beginning the stalk, my brother called me on my cell, and told me he had a great bull located. James said he wanted to get the bull we were stalking, so we set up for the shot. I could see he was excited, so I tried to keep him calm. 2 shots and 2 misses. The third shot hit the bull low in the front leg, and he walked over the hill. We found him again right at the fence-line. I gave a couple of grunts, and the bull turned broadside. Moments later, the bull was down.

9577img_0568.jpg

What a great hunt to share with a young hunter! James' grandpa and uncle drove my truck around the mountain an met us. They were sure excited he was able to connect on a good bull.
5417img_0569.jpg

A pic of James and myself with his bull (9x9 with a 44" spread).
8144img_0572.jpg

We were joking how easy it was to have the bull loaded whole in the back of the truck by 10am. At the bottom of the hill, we buried my truck, and had to call someone from town to come and pull us out.
5611img_0573.jpg

I sure have been lucky this fall, sharing a number of hunts with the next generation. Next fall will be great, too, because my daughter will be old enough to hunt. Best of luck to all!

Excellent Shiras bull!
Tell you friend's son congrats on taking a good one. When they get wider than 40" they all start looking really good to me.
Thanks for sharing his great experience with us.

Now....if I draw next year....

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom