A big muzzy buck for Cody!

passthrough

My good buddy Cody Lujan drew a good deer tag with us this year. This muzzy hunt is one of my favorites. Its a tough hunt, lots of scouting and hard glassing, but the reward is big muley bucks. This was our taget buck, as our #1 buck was talken by an archery hunter.
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg

I hadn't seen him for a few weeks, but was confident that we could turn him up. We passed on several other bucks along the way, always staying true to our plan. On the morning of day 3 Cody glassed up a "big bodied" deer a 1000 yards out. As soon as I had him in my 15's I knew it was him. We closed the distance and found him bedded on a steep hillside.
IMG_0195.jpg

As luck would have it, a 170ish buck that was with him walked past him and he stood up to move beds. Cody made good on our oppertunity.
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg

The buck scored 195 3/8 gross. We finally broke Codys big buck curse! Cheers to Cody and cheers to big bucks and heavy packouts!

That’s a stud! Congrats to you both. If that was your #2 buck let’s see the #1 buck!!

Last edited:
PT, congratulations to Cody on an awesome buck. Configurations to your boys on their hunts this year as well! You need to buy a lottery ticket for your boys!
As an aside, was your target buck killed by an archery hunter a slick 4X4 gross scoring over 210”?

PT, congratulations to Cody on an awesome buck. Configurations to your boys on their hunts this year as well! You need to buy a lottery ticket for your boys!
As an aside, was your target buck killed by an archery hunter a slick 4X4 gross scoring over 210”?
That was the buck. He grossed a little under that, but a true giant none the less. Any buck over 200 typical is an absolute giant

Wow what an amazing buck! Congratulations to Cody. Hope I run into a buck even remotely that big in Colorado in a couple weeks.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom