A Curse and a Blessing!!

Well this year started off last year when my wife with 19 points didn't draw her LE Bull Elk tag like we though she should have. We were upset and confused at the same time. We decided that it would be OK and that she would defiantly draw this year.
Well as we went out to get our Christmas tree the end of November, my wife took a spill on a patch of ice in the trail. She ended up breaking her knee. A few months later as we were putting in for the Utah Big Game Draws she was just getting off crutches and wasnt sure she wanted to be put in for this year. I talked her into it and we submitted the applications. We know she would draw with 20 points and we would have to get her ready.
A few months later the draw results were about to come out. People were getting excited as were we with much anticipation. I started to notic people saying on social media that their CC were starting to get hit. I kept checking and rechecking and nothing. We had to leave that weekend and go to the ranch (where there is very little cell service) to work the cows. This did not make me happy because I knew the emails would be coming out really soon.
We were setting eating lunch and happend to be in a perfect spot for cell service and i noticed that I had some new emails. I excitedly opened the email addressed to my wife and was stunned...shocked....and then outraged. Again she did not draw her Elk Tag. How was that possible. I then read the emails for my 2 sons and they both drew their deer tags so I was feeling a little better. I then opened my email only to see that I had not drawn my Dedicated Hunter tag. Again the anger at the DWR set in. I then skimmed down the rest of the email and stopped..."Successful". What??? I had drawn something. I set in disbelief and my wife noticed my silence and said, "What did you draw?" I showed her my phone and it was "Successful for Utah Once in a Lifetime Moose Tag"
All the sudden the disbelief and anger about the draw results went away. I was the lucky one this year. This was going to be an awesome year and it was just starting.

nimrod-outdoors2.jpg

***Nimrod Outdoors***
www.beanimrod.com

Well we have done some scouting and a lot of talking to people and learning everything we can about Moose in the last couple months. We also got a little more active about getting yourself into better shape so we didn't miss out on an opportunity because we couldn't get there or something like that.
In our scouting efforts it has been a lot of learning new country. The area of the Unit we drew is massive and there is a lot of ground we knew nothing about. We have been able to locate a couple great bulls and we have had people that know I have this tag send me pics of other bulls they have seen.

We have also learned that if we can get on the bulls the first week of the hunt they may be in their summer range still. If we don't the bulls we have found will move possible miles to find the cows come time for the rut. We have also found and located some cows which don't seem to move as much so that we have a location to look for bulls once the rut kicks in.
We have also amped up out shooting efforts. My plan is to take this moose with my bow, but Jacob will be packing my rifle with us just in case. I am not going to pass up on the opportunity to take a moose, just to say I shot it with my bow. Needless to say we have been shooting with both the bow and the gun.
The next few week we will up our scouting efforts and see what we can find. We also have a couple deer tags (2 of my boys drew deer tags) so we will be spending the archery hunt scouting for moose and hunting for deer. It is going to be an exciting fall for sure.

nimrod-outdoors2.jpg

***Nimrod Outdoors***
www.beanimrod.com

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom