A Decent Barbary

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Well, I went out and did it yesterday. Thought he was bigger than he actually is. I hope that one of these days I can learn how to judge them before I shoot!

47a492e444208b51.jpg

47a48fac2dd85e8d.jpg

Damn Cookie, you've had a hell of season man. Congrats! Full freezer for you this winter, not too mention the loss of some wall space!

25"? nice weather u got downthere! here up north in santa fe it is snowing!!!

btw...very nice sheep! CONGRATS!

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-08 AT 03:48PM (MST)[p]27 1/2" vinny. I got this one in unit 32. I saw 9 other rams that day but I have to take my parents on my next days off so....I still cant believe I got so close to him. Watched him bed down and put the sneak on. Shot him at 20 yards. All I could think was "I sure wish I had my BOW!!" Public land.

Went out this weekend and didn't see one bigger than 14". Season's long enough to hold out for a big one. I watched a guy shoot one that was only 8 inches. Congrats on taking a mature sheep!

Nice job Curtis. Very cool sheep.

Went out with my youngest on Saturday and covered some miles. Did not see any sheep, but, saw a couple of good bucks to hunt next year.

Will try to get out again this season if we can.

That's awesome, Cookie. I was going to guess 28" to 30" when I saw the picture. Good telltale rub mark on his shoulder.

I hunted Unit 30 over the weekend. Like NMPaul, all I saw was a few desert muley bucks that made me excited for next year.

Good luck with your parents!

I had him guessed at 31" when I went ahead and put the stalk on him! Live and learn. We also saw a couple of really good bucks where we were. I think I know of a place I'll be hiking long after sheep season ends looking for sheds!

C'mon, now, you almost sound like you're apologizing when you've got nothing to apologize for. He is a little deceiving. The one thing I might take away to use for my own field judging is that the mass around his bases looks a little weaker than some other 30-inchers that I've seen. Nonetheless, he has picture perfect symmetry and profile. He's definitely a sweet looking ram. I too would've talked myself into that one, especially at 20 yards--getting that close had to take some skills.

Thanks Mozey, he is a little lacking in the mass. Only 11 1/4" at the bases. I think that had a little to do with why I thought he was bigger. Longer horns WILL look to be thinner. Only thing is, he was!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom