A Father / Son California Big Horn Sheep Experience

Pines_N_Tines

This has been my new favorite year of hunting, with the crescendo being a Ram for my 15-year-old. Back in May I posted on Elkassassin's check your credit card post. To my disbelief, we had cc hits for 3 deer tags, a $413 charge for a moose or Rocky Mountain goat, and a $513 charge for a big horn sheep. We weren't sure who got what tag but the $513 charge had to be a sheep tag, and the only sheep tag we put in for was my 15 year olds choice for Oqquirh-Stansbury, West. Being 15, he had only been in the points game for one year; so with ONE point and a whole lot of luck a dream began. Most sheep hunters invest years into their sheep dreams. The dream my son and I got to share started in May, and culminated on November 1st.

It ended up that the $413 charge was a Rocky Mountain goat tag for me. I had 19 points but after so many years of unsuccessful, my excitement for my tag paled compared to the anticipated adventure I'd get with my son.

We bought maps, scoured Monster Muleys, and talked to the wildlife biologist. We read about the state record California Bighorn Sheep that Ridgetops took nine years ago. We learned that the California Bighorn Sheep are a smaller species than the Rocky Mountain Bighorns. Kind of like the difference between mule deer and Blacktails. The biologist gave us the sad news that the entire herd had died off of the Stansbury range in 2016. The sheep had contracted a domestic sheep pneumonia. On one of our scouting trips we talked to a rancher who said that about 70 ram deadheads were taken off the mountain. Sad indeed.

The good news was that approximately 45 sheep were transplanted out there and the herd had grown to 90. I was surprised to hear that we had 1 of 3 tags to hunt a herd of 90. I asked what the top end of our expectations should be. We were told that there should be two 8-year-old rams on the mountain and about a dozen 5-6 year olds. With that intel we set our standards pretty low. We just wanted to be successful and not eat a tag given the low numbers and size of rams.

We PM?d Ridgetops early on. He told us of his Epic hunt and gave a location to begin scouting. He was a great help and source of info.

On our first scouting trip in June we began to realize how hard Bighorn sheep hunting was going to be. The dark cliffs below the blue sky in this picture were our #1 target area. This is the area where Ridgetops shot his nice ram.

446img2887.jpg

On our hike we saw sego lilies, thistles, wild flowers, a snake, and found some crystals, but saw no sheep. We had only hiked one canyon and it was long and steep. We knew that with this hunt, we had our work cut out for us.
23527img2890.jpg

62796img2891.jpg

77949img2900.jpg

30698img2899.jpg

82336img2897.jpg

On our next scouting trip in July we found a great water source. The Mormon crickets were out by the thousands. They are nasty insects. We hiked and learned new country. That desert is hot and dry in the summer.
9053img3024.jpg

26831img2903.jpg

5171img3020.jpg

On our second trip out in July we explored a new canyon. We made a great contact with a rancher. He had helped the wildlife biologist collect many of the dead heads a few years ago. He gave us some good info on a ram hang out and had seen 6 rams in the canyon we were in earlier in the week. Our hopes were high as we hiked up into the canyon. We didn't see any sheep but found a stone carving from 1930. It ended up being the grandfather of my neighbor. He said that man is my hero and he was happy to hear where he could go to find the carving.

99590img3031.jpg

42898img3029.jpg

August was a bust for scouting. I got to go on an archery hunt with my 18 year old. He made a great stalk on a 175/180 class buck. Got to 55 yards but couldn't get the shot before the deer busted out. Then September came and we had family camp trips plus I was successful on my Rocky Mountain goat hunt. It was one of the hardest things physically I've done. I'm saving the details of that hunt for me and my family.
Next up was the muzzle loader hunt. I got a great buck. You can read my story here: https://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/27962.html
With the other hunts out of the way, we decided to try the east side of the Stansbury Mountains where the rancher said the rams like to hang out.
We found an old mine shaft and hiked to the top of the mountain from the East and then went North along the ridge. Awesome new country but still no sheep.
43737img3499.jpg

27089img3504.jpg

It was now into October. The hunt starts on November 1st and we still hadn't seen a ram or any sheep. We went out the Friday before the opener of the rifle deer hunt and finally we found a ram. We saw him with 4 ewes at about 2000 yards up in the cliffs. I don't have awesome glass so the pics are grainy but you can see why we were finally excited.

20482img3542.jpg

38680img3512.jpg

63546img3544.jpg

After watching the ram for 4 hours we hiked the next canyon over as we had seen some white rumps go over the ridge. We didn't turn up any more sheep but we were on the board now.
83315img3537.jpg

15938img3525.jpg

On our last chance scouting trip the second to last day of the deer hunt, we found no sheep. None of the deer hunters had seen any. We knew that we were in for a hard hunt and hoped to get lucky. We shot again and made sure that my son was accurate at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. Outside of 400 we'd have to stalk closer.

Halloween, October 31st and the night before the opener. We were resigned to a hard hunt ahead of us. We had planned to camp on the west side of the mountain range where we had spotted our lone ram. As we were putting the last items in the camp trailer we received a phone call from Ridgetops. He is my new hero and certainly a hero to my son. He lives near the mountain and had stopped on the way home from work. He said he had a ram with four ewes spotted on the East side of the mountain. He said he'd send a pin of where to look the next morning. After we were on our way we got a second call. He said the next canyon over held a bigger ram with 4 ewes. We were elated. As he tried to explain where we should concentrate the morning hunt he said nevermind I'll take the morning off and meet you in camp. After a restless night of sleep we awoke and got ready. Ridge showed up as promised and we drove to the base of this mountain.
43853img3637.jpg

We got the spotting scopes out and the ram was right where he had bedded the night before. We made a plan to hike up the canyon to the left and get above the ram. Ridge stayed in his truck to film. It took us til 9 to get up above the ram. Here's where my son shot from over the cliff edge.
90581img3573.jpg

49153ramshot.jpg

Bighorn sheep have amazing vision. The Ram spotted us even hidden behind a juniper on the ridge. My son couldn't get comfortable for a shot through the opening in the juniper so we crawled to the cliff edge and rested the rifle on the cliff edge. I ranged the ram. Down the steep canyon and up the other side he seemed 350 yards away but was only 220 by range finder. My son steadied for the steep angle shot. Twice the ram moved not offering a vital. I was so worried that he was about to bust out. I could tell he was nervous about us. He gave one last broadside view and my son made a great shot.

Ridgetops was down below filming from a spotting scope. Check out this footage and listen for the hit vs shot delay.
[youtube.com/embed/watch?v=15TupXcxubo]

Because of the steep angle, the shot spined the ram on entry and just clipped the far side lung. The fall caused a bit of bridge damage but the moment I shared with my son was undescribable. Thanks to ridgetops we didn't have to hike endlessly day after day, hoping to find any ram. Instead my son got one of the best ram available on the mountain. I can't thank ridge enough. We are not the first sheep hunters he has helped.

We shot just after 9 am. It took us to 11 just to get down the snowy cliffs to him.

Nothing enhances the bond between a father and son more than a successful hunt. I'm so proud of my 15-year-old. I know there's a few younger than him with rams to their names but there can't be that many. Here is the ram.
14118img3614.jpg

12339img3611.jpg

93936img3621.jpg

29987img3620.jpg

It took us quite a while to quarter the ram. The DNR wanted samples of lung, liver, and nasal swabs to be able to check on the health of the herd. It took us until 5pm to get down to the truck. I had the full weight of all the meat on my back. I lost footing in the snow covered rocks and the ram got a little revenge as the full weight of a rams meat caused me to tumble and hit rocks. Luckily I used hand elbows and knees to avoid hitting my head.
93508ramsrevenge.jpg

24884img3635.jpg

20909img3633.jpg

63181img3636.jpg

As a parting shot back at camp we had the meat in the cooler and the ram head/cape on the trailer. We drove through Grantsville to meet Ridgetops and show him the ram. I cant thank him enough for his generosity.
43522img3638.jpg

My son and I collected vegetation from the kill site. We plan to incorporate it into the pedestal we'll make while the taxidermy is being done. This will extend the time we get together to talk about an amazing once in a life time father/son experience.

Good hunting to you all.

Thanks for sharing and congrats. Its nice that you did such a good job capturing all those memories. Most of us underestimate how rare a sheep hunt is. Incidentally, we have a lilly that looks just like that called a mariposa lilly.

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-19 AT 09:26PM (MST)[p]Days hunting with your son don't count against your life span, because you are already in Heaven! Congrats to you both!

And yes, ridgetops is a mighty fine man!

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-19
>AT 09:26?PM (MST)

>
>Days hunting with your son don't
>count against your life span,
>because you are already in
>Heaven! Congrats to you
>both!
>
>And yes, ridgetops is a mighty
>fine man!

100% agree with both your statements.

>Great story and father son experience!
>My wife drew a Cali
>ram tag years ago and
>we spent 13 days in
>a tent before she knocked
>one down.

That was my biggest worry. That we would spend day after day hiking and wearing ourselves out without finding a ram. 13 days in a tent is long unless youre seeing multiple Rams each day and passing for mr. big.

Yesterday was fun. We went to the central DNR office to check in my sons ram. Another hunter came in with one from the New Foundland mountains. It was fun to hear their story and talk hunting while we waited for a DNR office to plug our rams. His ram was younger but had better genentics. It was also fun that after we turned in the collar, the DWR guy that had been a part of the transplant of my sons ram printed a data sheet and showed us that my sons ram was the last transplant from Antelope Island. It was moved 2 years ago when he was 6.5 years old so my son got one of the two 8.5 year olds on the mountain.

Here's a pic of the two rams and the jewerly.
94128doublecalibighorns.jpg

69008ramjewelry.jpg

Simply amazing!! Congrats to your son and you on an awesome adventure and great ram.
It's nice to see there are still good people out there helping others! Nicely done Ridgetops!!

Kevin, thank you so much for reaching out to me and giving me the opportunity to help out. After the die off, I have not had the passion to get out and look for the new crop of sheep. I was so heartbroken to see all those dead and dying sheep back in early 2016 but after this past week, I have caught the sheep fever again. I'm looking forward to many more outings. Looks like we helped each other out.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-19 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]>Kevin, thank you so much for
>reaching out to me and
>giving me the opportunity to
>help out. After the die
>off, I have not had
>the passion to get out
>and look for the new
>crop of sheep. I was
>so heartbroken to see all
>those dead and dying sheep
>back in early 2016 but
>after this past week, I
>have caught the sheep fever
>again. I'm looking forward to
>many more outings. Looks like
>we helped each other out.
>
Koby, I'm so glad that you caught the sheep bug again. It saved me alot of hiking and worry that I wouldn't find a respectable ram for my son. You're a class act and a great person. I hope you get to see the herd grow and flurish out there. Maybe your boy will get lucky before those cliffs get too steep to climb. Thanks again!

We finished making the pedestal for my son's ram and got the mount back from Above Camp Taxidery. Here's the ram and a link to the story of building the pedestal.
IMG_3935.PNG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom