A Good Harvest (Pics)

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Guys, finally got some pictures from my hunt this past weekend. Stinking computer is still down but here's what I got. Had another fun hunt with the old man who drove down from Colorado and met me in Chama. I left on this hunt with only 1.5 days to hunt as the boss man wouldn't give me any time off. So, my hope to spend some serious time in the unit and look over a few elk never came to fruition. But, I'm not really a trophy hunter so I could not be more happy with my bull and all of the meat my family will have for the winter.

Here's the short and sweet of it. Dad and I left camp at 3:45 Saturday (opening morning) and hiked 4 miles into the Sargent in the dark until we got into 8 screaming bulls and were surrounded by cow elk. A few minutes before legal shooting light I could hear some poor soul cranking on a hoochie mama and looked down the trail to see three yahoos walking straight into us and the elk we had gotten into. I intercepted them before they could spook the herd and asked them if they would mind going after some of the bulls below us and they said they would. Right at shooting light I started hearing the damned hoochie mama coming from directly across the slope from me where the idiots had snuck around and tried to sneak into the bulls we were set up on but they were trying to do so from upwind... Needless to say it was like that scene in Bambi where every animal in the forest is fleeing the forest fire. There were literally deer, elk, coyotes, and even a porcupine running away from those idiots and into dad and I. It was pretty funny but for the bigger sounding bulls taking their cows and heading up and into the dark timber away from us.
Sargent_Bull_08_017.jpg

So, after passing on a couple of smaller bulls, dad and I hoofed it as fast as we could up the trail attempting to stay on the bugling bulls and their cows. And, like a bad case of diarrhea that just follows you around and won't go away, here came the freaking hoochie mama calling dudes pushing every animal in the forest right up the mountain. We got a ways in front of them, getting closer and closer to a deep sounding bull that had been screaming his head off most of the morning. Finally, I crept up and over a small ridge to where I could see a bench full of downed timber and mixed with pines and aspens I could see several cows feeding and walking through the trees but could not see the bull. I could hear the bull bugling just out of site up the slope from the cows but he would not leave cover. I motioned for my old man to bugle and as soon as he did the bull came trotting out of the timber and through the aspens. I saw that his left antler had a good sixth point and decided that as I only had two days to hunt that I would take him. He stopped broadside in the widest opening between the aspens and pines about 100 yards in front of me and I squeezed off a shot...except that I had left the safety on and the trigger wouldn't pull. By the time I thumbed the trigger off the bull had started moving again. I could see one more lane that he would cross as he followed a cow and I put the scope on that opening until he crossed through it. As he came into my scope at around a 120 yards I could only see the top half of his body. I tucked the cross hairs directly behind his left shoulder as he walked through the opening and at the shot all I saw was cows thundering and the bull's legs in the air and his antlers spinning in circles upside down on the ground. So, at 7:20 on opening morning my bull was down and the fun was over. We had shot the bull just under 4 miles into the Sargent and after 3, 8 mile round trips (just under 24 miles in total) and 11 hours later, we had the 296 lbs of quarters and meat (total weight from the butcher shop scales) back to camp. Oh yeah, half of the time it was pouring rain. Easily one of the least enjoyable pack outs on foot that I have ever had. But, the bull should be some great eating and I was one of only two hunters to harvest on opening day. I feel lucky considering how crappy the weather got and how little time I had to hunt. Anyway, this bull is a lot smaller than my bull from last year but I could care less as he was big bodied and should make for some great eating! Didn't notice that he had broken off his sixth on the right side 'til I got up to him, but I feel blessed to have harvested such a great bull this year.

Good luck on your hunts this year and keep the pictures coming!
-Cody

Sargent_Bull_08_010.jpg

Sargent_Bull_08_016.jpg

congrats on the great bull. Sounds like you and your dad made some great memories. My dad and I will be heading up there next week to help out some friends hope they can get a bull like yours.

Muliefantic

Awesome story Cody.....Congrats on that Bull....ain't nothing wrong with that bull....sounds like you and your Dad had one heck of a packout.....Great job!!! I know who to contact to help me get my bull out if I score...Congrats Again!!

Dan

...from a proud owner of a hoochie-mama: you must be living right if that's a "settled-for" bull... :)

Way cool.

Cody, that is a great bull. Way to get all the meat out also.

I cant remember your bull from last year. You should post it again.

Did you get it in the same area?

The best elk I have ever got, the calls stayed in my pocket. IMO calling is way overrated, except to locate. However, there is a whole bunch of videos out there that prove me wrong.

Cody,

BEAUTIFUL BULL!!! glad u had ur dad with you again!! next time, contact me I ll be more than glad to give u hands! only live couple hr from Chama!!!

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-08 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys, it is always good to get an elk down. Paul, like you I don't do a lot of calling. I prefer to feel individual bulls out before I do any real calling. I do like to call to locate and when the occasion seems right. Although, my bull and a smaller bull last year came running to a cow call on October 19th as if they were in the peak of the rut...I was just calling to settle an argument with my fiancee about who was the better caller and did not even think I was near any elk. Below is a pic of my bull from last year. He did not come out of the Sargent but came out of the North end of the Gila. And I do agree, calling is overrated. Find a bugling bull and work your way into the herd or in front and down wind of them. Herd bulls will come to a call about once a season if you are lucky, and that's just if you are right on top of them. I know someone has different experiences but that's my two bits. And what most of the videos out there don't really tell you is that they are filmed on private land, or in the best of the top draw trophy units. Makes the rest of us feel like we should call like champs every chance we get. But, in my opinion, trophy unit and private land elk are a different breed from the average public land unit. This Gila bull was taken on private land on a free LO tag after I called him off of National Forest. This was the first bull I have had measured and he grossed in the mid 360's. For scale, his 1sts are flat but pushing 18", mainbeam length in the mid 50s, 42" wide, and as you can see from the scale of my hand on the 4th in the picture, carries awesome mass from base to tip. (This bull is also slated to be the feature bull for NM in the 2009 Ridgeline Outdoors Big Game Calendar)
-Cody

edit:
Vin, if I ever draw that tag again I WILL call you for help packing out!

Moze, No such thing as a settled for elk in my book! They're all trophies, but I knew I had drawn a coveted tag and wanted to make the most out of it. I hunt for meat and have taken many a raghorn and cow and am proud of and thankful for each of them as well. Just seems like I was the blind hog that found a couple of good acorns the past two seasons is all!

Gila20072.jpg

Dang it brother , thats a great bull, but you know this. Congrats dude, I'm happy you and your dad got the hunt done and come out of God's Country with such a beautiful bull. You the "Man" and since I missed and you didn't , lunch is on you...

Cody,

That's one heck of a bull and great time hunting story. I promise you will always remember that day you spent with your dad on this hunt. Nobody can ever take that away from you. Harvesting a very nice bull is just the cherry on top. Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy that elk meat.

Cody,

I have a bull almost exactly like that from 3 years ago except he has double brow tines on the front more like a shovel of a caribou. His dimensions are almost exact with what you described his. A lot of mass in that bull and they do look cool on the wall with that much mass.

agrvarmint

Nice bull Cody. Glad to hear the "hoochie-mama" bandits didnt screw up your opening morning hunt. Sure sounds like they were trying to make things difficult for you on that mountain.

I had one elk hunt with my dad. We could tell he was not feeling well and did lots of sitting. He was diagnosed with cancer a month later and gone by that January. We didn't get a bull that year but have lots of great memories. The bull I got in Colorado this year was a few hundred yards from a wallow we hunted a lot back then. That is what makes a lot of hunts great, the memories of when you get to hunt with family and friends. By all accounts, you had a great hunt.

Larry, yes, lunch is on me until deer season! Then, you had better shoot straight and buy me lunch! And, the best part of this hunt was sharing it with my old man. Like many of you guys we've been hunting together my entire life. He and my mom literally strapped me into a panyard and took me to elk camp camp whern I was 3 months old and I haven't stopped since. As I start getting a little older I start realizing more and more that sharing my hunts with family is the most rewarding aspect of my hunts. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father 338WSM but I'm glad that you got one hunt in with him. I'll bet he was with you when you harvested your bull this year and was grinning there alongside you. I never take it for granted that I will automatically have another hunt with my family and therefore, I try to enjoy every moment of our time together in the outdoors. It's good to see that so many of you guys base the success of your hunts like this as well.

Good luck on the rest of your hunts,

Cody

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom