A local perspective on Cody area hunting

highfastflyer

Very Active Member
Bad news for those hunting deer and elk near Cody. One local’s perspective on how the Wolves have ravished the North Fork area. Many of those units are now limited quota for elk but he doesn’t paint a pretty picture. Sorry if this was already posted as it’s from last year.

No mention of buffer zones...sad
He answers that question. Obviously SlightlyIncoherent isn’t watching/comprehending very well. Cody has a number of large ranches which are acting as the buffer zones and where the elk have congregated which make them essentially inaccessible. :eek::alien::eek::alien::eek::alien::devilish:

As a resident in this area i have something to add. The elk hunting is all how you approach it. If you roadhunt for elk or deer you will come back with pissy reports and unsuccessful. I HEAR THIS WEEKLY FROM PEOPLE...I will say elk numbers are not what they were years ago but i feel the quality of bulls has gone up. This last 2020 season on my dads elk hunt he had every chance at a 380 inch bull but his blind ass cant see like he use to. But still came out with a good bull. Those who actually pack in for elk come out very happy. Those who actually try come out happy. Basically the NON road hunters come out happy.

The deer numbers I don't agree with. I know a few guys that have several trail cams on migration trails and passes and their deer count is higher than what game and fish get. Plus while on our elk hunt i lost count on how many deer we saw. A couple outfitters are looking over hundreds and hundreds of bucks during season. These guys know them deer and are happy. I have personally been able to see these photos and the quality of bucks/bulls that never get shot or seen blew my mind.

In my OPINION i think we have more cats than we think. I dont know who has the job to do that but it has to be rough. Trying to count an animal that most hunters will never see has to be a challenging task. While horn hunting all the sheep/deer kills are mainly cat kills that i run across.

So basically i am happy how things are around here. Back in November/December i was able to talk to Tony Mong the mule deer biologist. Mainly cause i hit a mule deer fawn and i needed permission to shoot it and that phone call led into some whitetails i saw to where game and fish was aware of. Tony was not happy one bit
So i was able to keep in touch on what i was seeing.

I cant complain about wolves. We have tags and a season along with a predator zone. Progress has been made. Cant scream to shoot them all or else we are fighting each other again.

Last edited:
As a resident in this area i have something to add. The elk hunting is all how you approach it. If you roadhunt for elk or deer you will come back with pissy reports and unsuccessful. I HEAR THIS WEEKLY FROM PEOPLE...I will say elk numbers are not what they were years ago but i feel the quality of bulls has gone up. This last 2020 season on my dads elk hunt he had every chance at a 380 inch bull but his blind ass cant see like he use to. But still came out with a good bull. Those who actually pack in for elk come out very happy. Those who actually try come out happy. Basically the NON road hunters come out happy.

The deer numbers I don't agree with. I know a few guys that have several trail cams on migration trails and passes and their deer count is higher than what game and fish get. Plus while on our elk hunt i lost count on how many deer we saw. A couple outfitters are looking over hundreds and hundreds of bucks during season. These guys know them deer and are happy. I have personally been able to see these photos and the quality of bucks/bulls that never get shot or seen blew my mind.

In my OPINION i think we have more cats than we think. I dont know who has the job to do that but it has to be rough. Trying to count an animal that most hunters will never see has to be a challenging task. While horn hunting all the sheep/deer kills are mainly cat kills that i run across.

So basically i am happy how things are around here. Back in November/December i was able to talk to Tony Mong the mule deer biologist. Mainly cause i hit a mule deer fawn and i needed permission to shoot it and that phone call led into some whitetails i saw to where game and fish was aware of. Tony was not happy one bit
So i was able to keep in touch on what i was seeing.

I cant complain about wolves. We have tags and a season along with a predator zone. Progress has been made. Cant scream to shoot them all or else we are fighting each other again.
Randy is certainly no road hunter. Kinda hard to road hunt anyways in that North Fork area as there aren’t many roads there. His two Bighorn Sheep rams are amazing. He also has a nice set of pack mules. Most of those areas are now limited quota for elk. Was your father’s hunt a limited quota area? His 55+ years of watching the elk and their downhill demise since wolf reintroduction 20+ years ago are a broad time spectrum of experience. I cant comment on the deer herd there but I do see G&F has cut back the November hunting when most of those bucks used to be killed and NR licenses have been slashed, not a good sign.

Not a good sign? Guess buffer zones are not what they are all cracked up to be.

Not a good sign? Guess buffer zones are not what they are all cracked up to be.
There are a few limited quota areas for deer in that Cody country, they have shortened the seasons, slashed NR licenses and the bottom riparian areas are mostly all private. Buffer zones are what is saving what they have.

Randy is certainly no road hunter. Kinda hard to road hunt anyways in that North Fork area as there aren’t many roads there. His two Bighorn Sheep rams are amazing. He also has a nice set of pack mules. Most of those areas are now limited quota for elk. Was your father’s hunt a limited quota area? His 55+ years of watching the elk and their downhill demise since wolf reintroduction 20+ years ago are a broad time spectrum of experience. I cant comment on the deer herd there but I do see G&F has cut back the November hunting when most of those bucks used to be killed and NR licenses have been slashed, not a good sign.

My dad had a type 1 56 tag. 56 is also a general area. The type 1 tag is very hard to draw but it's more than just looking over elk that are migrating. The hunt offers so much more. This was probably my dads last elk hunt and we made the most of it.
I agree numbers are down but the quality is much better. We have no issues filling tags on good bulls. Area 55 could definitely increase on tags. 50 tags isnt enough. I havent leanred what the reason is. During general you don't see the 150 group heard with several spikes and rag bulls. Now you see 20 or less cows with good solid bulls and a lot of loner bulls. Again this is experience. When i fill out my game and fish hunt report i put very satisfied.

I want to stress the fact i am satisfied. I could be right and i may be wrong. Who knows

This year my hunting partner drew 54-1 (max points) and I drew 54-6. We drove up to Cody over Memorial day weekend to look around the unit, learn the roads and glass about. Saw elk and deer in most places we looked. We plan on hitting the unit hard when the hunt opens 10/1. We will get there early and will give it our all. We know how to hunt and are in good shape--yeah, we are NR's from a next door state that a lot of folks don't like but we drew the tags and will give it our all. Hope our tires don't get slashed! ;-) I am optimistic about it and don't like the doom and gloom attitude. I understand the frustration folks have but ya got to adapt and overcome, otherwise stay home I guess. If we don't find success in October we will be back in November for my friends bull. Here is to a good hunt this fall!

This year my hunting partner drew 54-1 (max points) and I drew 54-6. We drove up to Cody over Memorial day weekend to look around the unit, learn the roads and glass about. Saw elk and deer in most places we looked. We plan on hitting the unit hard when the hunt opens 10/1. We will get there early and will give it our all. We know how to hunt and are in good shape--yeah, we are NR's from a next door state that a lot of folks don't like but we drew the tags and will give it our all. Hope our tires don't get slashed! ;-) I am optimistic about it and don't like the doom and gloom attitude. I understand the frustration folks have but ya got to adapt and overcome, otherwise stay home I guess. If we don't find success in October we will be back in November for my friends bull. Here is to a good hunt this fall!
That should be a great hunt. This video was more in general about the North Fork area. Randy actually discusses how well the elk are doing East of highway 120 which is in the Wolf Predator Zone and how the elk now remain on many of the big private ranches year round. The cow/calf ratios in area 54 East of 120 have recently been some of the highest ever documented in the state. The elk are booming there and creating a new and larger year round resident herd but the migratory herd coming from the Park is greatly diminished. Randy blames the wolves which is not the whole picture but he does have 50+ years of experience watching those elk. You will have a great hunt.

Call me about 54-1. I drew it in 2016 with max points. I've helped 2 other NR's with info, and both ended up tagging 330-340" bulls off my X marks. I don't think things change too much in 54-1 from year to year. A good south facing slope on a 0 degree evening, or a draw that always holds bulls, or a classic wind blown ridge is likely not changing from year to year in terms of topography. Get (10-15) X-marks on a map, judge the weather and conditions, and don't cause a stampede with uber aggressive tactics.

As long as you have 40,000 youtube subscribers you can't be full of $h!+? Huh learn something new every day

Yea 52+ years of gunsmithing and hunting near Cody can cause that. Especially guys who harvest 2 B&C Bighorn Sheep and a 384 B&C bull Elk and 42,000 YT subscribers are certainly full of s###. :eek::devilish::eek::devilish::eek:
Who scored his elk and sheep...the ram he had pictures of in the video didn't look B&C size to me...but I've not held but maybe 40-50 B&C rams in my hands including 4 that gross score 200ish.

Who scored his elk and sheep...the ram he had pictures of in the video didn't look B&C size to me...but I've not held but maybe 40-50 B&C rams in my hands including 4 that gross score 200ish.
Next time you are near Cody stop in at his shop and have a look yourself. He was personal friends with Les Bowman one of the engineers behind the 7mm development. He is also a neighbour and gunsmith for Jim Zumbo formerly from Outdoor Life magazine. Les Bowman who famously guided for years in the Thorofare and South Fork area and Les introduced Randy to Col. Townsend Whelen and the late Abdorezha Pahlavi, brother of the Shah of Iran. http://randyscustomrifles.com/about-randy/

Little did your kids know by showing you how to google the beast that was within…
I won’t tell anyone you deep down really like it.
0D3AE647-BA4C-45A6-8995-F0944EBE35E0.gif

Grandpa yapping about Nesvik not opening up wolf hunting to 365/year and no quota shows the guy has no clue about wolf management. I have no interest in some clown that's too hard headed or too stupid to at least understand what the hell he's talking about.

Grandpa yapping about Nesvik not opening up wolf hunting to 365/year and no quota shows the guy has no clue about wolf management. I have no interest in some clown that's too hard headed or too stupid to at least understand what the hell he's talking about.
Apparently you missed the part about him being Zumbo's neighbor.

I didn't miss the attempt to add some legitimacy to the post by referencing Zumbo.

I used to guide for people that hosted Zumbo. We can't always pick our neighbors.

He advocates for more Aggressive wolf management which would get the wolf population back to where it was laid out and sold to us as Wyoming residents ie 10 breeding pair and 100 wolves. Even by the conservative Wyoming Game and Fish estimates there are now 327 wolves and a small quota in the North Fork of only 7 annual wolf licenses when there are known to be three breeding packs and over 40 wolves just in that area. Wolves are not the only thing inhibiting the Cody elk herd but the migratory elk population is way down in those Cody areas. Jim Zumbo also agrees with his gunsmith Randy and wants more aggressive wolf management. :D:D:D

”Wyoming has exceeded the delisting criteria for 19 years in a row by consistently maintaining a steady wolf population of over 300.
Those objectives are outlined in the Wyoming Gray Wolf Management Plan, which guides wolf management in Wyoming. Recovery criteria for Wyoming is 100 wolves and 10 breeding pairs outside Yellowstone National Park and the Wind River Reservation.

Wyoming has at least 327 gray wolves, tallied at the most recent count. At least 147 reside within the trophy game management area (WGTMA) where Game and Fish managers focus their efforts.” https://sheridanmedia.com/news/4735...ng-delisting-criteria-for-19th-year-in-a-row/

I will say your posts are good for comic relief. First 2 lines " bad news for those hunting deer and elk near cody. ONE locals persepctive...." so your going to make a post telling everyone that the hunting has taken a dive because of ONE locals opinion LOL. The Cody area has and always will out produce the rest ofthe state 10:1 on trophy bulls cant see much of that from computer chair though

We left a few bulls of this caliber in the woods. Watched this bull for over half a day at 1400 yards. Finally when things went down my dad had him at 250 yards with the only damn tree in the way to make a shot happen. That's why this one got to live. The others are either to long of a story to tell or in nasty of terrain

20201122_103415.jpg

I will say your posts are good for comic relief. First 2 lines " bad news for those hunting deer and elk near cody. ONE locals persepctive...." so your going to make a post telling everyone that the hunting has taken a dive because of ONE locals opinion LOL. The Cody area has and always will out produce the rest ofthe state 10:1 on trophy bulls cant see much of that from computer chair though
Glad you find it comical. I find it truly Sad. It was great elk hunting I agree. This is why it is so sad it has been allowed to be so mismanaged and overrun with so many wolves. He advocates for more Aggressive wolf management which would get the wolf population back to where it was laid out and sold to us as Wyoming residents ie 10 breeding pair and 100 wolves. Even by the conservative Wyoming Game and Fish estimates there are now 327 wolves and the small quota currently in the North Fork of only 7 annual wolf harvest when there are known to be three breeding packs and over 40 wolves just in that area. Wolves are not the only thing inhibiting the Cody elk herd but the migratory elk population is way down in those Cody areas. Many of these areas are now Limited Quota due to such low elk numbers.

”Wyoming has exceeded the delisting criteria for 19 years in a row by consistently maintaining a steady wolf population of over 300.
Those objectives are outlined in the Wyoming Gray Wolf Management Plan, which guides wolf management in Wyoming. Recovery criteria for Wyoming is 100 wolves and 10 breeding pairs outside Yellowstone National Park and the Wind River Reservation.

Wyoming has at least 327 gray wolves, tallied at the most recent count. At least 147 reside within the trophy game management area (WGTMA) where Game and Fish managers focus their efforts.” https://sheridanmedia.com/news/4735...ng-delisting-criteria-for-19th-year-in-a-row/

So what you're saying is. It's not great elk hunting anymore?
The main problem is there has been a redistribution of elk, which has resulted in some areas with hugely struggling and unsustainable elk herds, while other areas have healthy elk herds with above objective populations. This is why many of those areas have gone to limited quota. I don’t fully agree with all of Randy’s comments but he does have 52+ years of hunting those areas.

The main problem is there has been a redistribution of elk, which has resulted in some areas with hugely struggling and unsustainable elk herds, while other areas have healthy elk herds with above objective populations. This is why many of those areas have gone to limited quota. I don’t fully agree with all of Randy’s comments but he does have 52+ years of hunting those areas.
Just to clarify this is your opinion? I didn’t see you cite your source.

Just to clarify this is your opinion? I didn’t see you cite your source.
It’s not just my opinion, it is well documented how predators have redistributed the elk herds.

”Working to understand the changing demography and redistribution of the Clarks Fork elk herd, which ranges widely in the Absaroka Mountains between Cody, WY and the headwaters of the Lamar River inside Yellowstone National Park (YNP). Each summer, while resident Clarks Fork elk remain in the foothills of the Absaroka Front, their migratory counterparts travel 40-60 kilometers across the Absaroka Divide to summer in high-elevation alpine and subalpine habitats of YNP. There, the migratory elk bear and nurse their calves, forage, and breed until the first substantial snows of winter, when they return to winter ranges neighboring and overlapping with those of resident elk. These two distinct strategies expose migrant and resident elk to very different predator densities and patterns of summer climate and plant growth – including access to irrigated fields for the resident elk. Long-term monitoring by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department (WGFD) and the results of our research suggest that these large-scale environmental differences are causing changes in the demography, movements, and distribution of the Clarks Fork herd. Over the past decade, WGFD has documented declining calf recruitment among migratory elk versus stable or increasing recruitment among resident elk. Concurrently, the distribution of the herd has shifted about 20 kilometers eastward into the Absaroka foothills, favoring the resident subpopulation.”

So because they moved a little bit the cody area hunting isnt great anymore?
Many of those areas are now Limited quota thus putting even more pressure on the few remaining General areas. Randy is mostly complaining about the North Fork area which once held great General elk hunting but now the elk have redistributed to many of the larger private ranches farther East making them mostly inaccessible and the lower numbers of elk now are in Limited Quota areas. You wouldn’t understand it anyways SlightlyIncoherent.

What about the moose> They are basically gone in that area. His old school opinion certainly is shared by many.

What about the moose> They are basically gone in that area. His old school opinion certainly is shared by many.

The moose were hit hard. Now they have several areas combined as 1 area. Seeing a good rebound though. The moose got smart. They winter far from the wolves. A place we horn hunt we found 13 different bulls in one small drainage. For who ever draws that tag can find some really good bulls

Randy has exposed the Moose slaughter by the wolves. Note the introduction of wolves in 1995. Not all of this is due to wolves but certainly when most of the radio collared moose were found dead by wolf kills it certainly corroborated what was going on. When was the last time anyone posted Moose pictures from Yellowstone National Park, they are nearly extinct there.
1D254E90-879D-436C-8A2B-D1163465414D.jpeg

The moose population in Wyoming was on the skids long before 1995...ask JM77 to give you some numbers for tag allocations in the late 70's through 1995.

Wolves don't explain the big drop in 2011-12 either.

The moose population in Wyoming was on the skids long before 1995...ask JM77 to give you some numbers for tag allocations in the late 70's through 1995.

Wolves don't explain the big drop in 2011-12 either.
The drop in 2011 was a change in the Game and Fish modelling and counting processes. What we know is Grizzly bears are also huge killers of moose and elk calves. In Minnesota there are no grizzly bears so administrators can’t blame the Wolf depredation on the Grizzly. The Bighorns and the Snowy Mt. ranges where wolves are not present or very rare have not shown the severe downward trends. Hmmmmm.........?????

Wolves have killed majority of calves in study​

“One of 49 moose calves collared by DNR researchers in May. All but ten of the animals are already dead, most falling victim to wolves in the first 4 months of the study.”

Last edited:
What does limited quota have to do with buffer zones?
They create them LMFAO. But you don’t even understand it SlightlyIncoherent. When an area goes from General License to Limited Quota it’s like creating a substantial Buffer Zone area for the game animals as it severely limits harvest and human presence compared to a General Licenses type hunting situation. I’m sure you still don’t get it so why even try and grasp an insurmountable task for yourself.

About Quota Hunts​

“A Quota Hunt is a managed hunt that allows a set number of hunters to participate. A quota is placed on a hunt to protect natural resources (wildlife and their habitats), establish a buffer area and provide a high-quality hunting experience and maintain a high level of safety.”

:eek::coffee::eek::coffee::eek::coffee:

This guy loves to hear himself talk. He along with others that love to preach doom and gloom all the time with little to no evidence or facts that support their opinion do nothing to help the hunters of Wyoming!

So according to him most all the elk are on private ranches correct? Well wouldn't it stand to reason that all the wolves would also be on those ranches or starving to death?

He also speaks of his constitutional rights. What right is he speaking of I wonder. Maybe he should get off of youtube and actually read the constitution.

Fact is state wide this is probably the best we have ever had it as far back as records have been kept for elk hunting. Both for size of bulls and also opportunity to feel the freezer. Because his certain spot may not be the same as it was 20 years ago do NOT change those facts!

I love the elk hunting in this state right now, and as a bonus I also hunt wolves which is awesome!

I have found that most of the people that bit!@ about the wolves the loudest have never even tried hunting them. That is weird to me, oh wait no it isn't. They are always to busy complaining about something to actually get in the field and do something.

This guy loves to hear himself talk. He along with others that love to preach doom and gloom all the time with little to no evidence or facts that support their opinion do nothing to help the hunters of Wyoming!

So according to him most all the elk are on private ranches correct? Well wouldn't it stand to reason that all the wolves would also be on those ranches or starving to death?

He also speaks of his constitutional rights. What right is he speaking of I wonder. Maybe he should get off of youtube and actually read the constitution.

Fact is state wide this is probably the best we have ever had it as far back as records have been kept for elk hunting. Both for size of bulls and also opportunity to feel the freezer. Because his certain spot may not be the same as it was 20 years ago do NOT change those facts!

I love the elk hunting in this state right now, and as a bonus I also hunt wolves which is awesome!

I have found that most of the people that bit!@ about the wolves the loudest have never even tried hunting them. That is weird to me, oh wait no it isn't. They are always to busy complaining about something to actually get in the field and do something.
I agree 100% The last few yrs I have spent a lot of time south of Cody and it is by far the best elk hunting in the state.
As far as wolves. Every November I make a few overnight trips specifically looking for wolves. Have been on some below zero horseback rides. Have yet to run into somebody else doing the same thing.
I recently went to the wyoming task force meeting. I was the only one who brought up wolves

I have hunted them a few times myself.
One of my best buddies is a wolf killing machine. He has killed 3 and I was with him for one of them. We tracked the pack in the timber for about 2 hours and finally he was able to get a shot of and get 1. It was a extremely fun hunt!

You obviously know little of ranching and dealing with wolves. Most of these big ranches are far to the East and outside the controlled hunting areas and located in the Predator zone. The ranchers hire full time hunters and range riders to keep the wolves away from their cattle, haze them off or kill them. Many of the elk now no longer stay or winter in the North Fork of the Shoshone as far too many wolves. The elk hunting has dwindled downhill and is all Limited Quota now due to the high wolf numbers. Randy’s complaint is they don’t set the wolf quota anywhere near high enough. Yes the elk are doing well overall statewide but in many areas too many elk and elk herds way over objective are impacting mule deer herds. If you go to Randy’s gunsmith shop you can see the wolf hide he has hanging. He does his part and tries to advocate for higher quotas.

Last edited:
no that was not his complaint. His complaint was the elk are all but gone in the areas that are able to be hunted. If all the elk are gone and down on the ranches then that is where all the wolves would also be.

His exact words, "the hunting has virtually been destroyed". He is full of SH!@. Those areas and tags are some of the most sought after in the state! I guess he is right and every one else is wrong?

Last edited:
no that was not his complaint. His complaint was the elk are all but gone in the areas that are able to be hunted. If all the elk are gone and down on the ranches then that is where all the wolves would also be. I wont go back and forth with you as very little reading tells me you just talk in circles and NEVER answer a question put forth to you because you cant!
You can’t hunt there on a General license anymore when you could for the 55+ years he hunted there, that is all gone. You obviously are Ignorant of the local area and the issues affecting the elk herd. He wants the Wyoming Game and Fish to put more effort into decreasing wolves, so far they keep the wolf quotas far too low with wolf numbers far above the 10 packs and 100 wolves we were promised upon introduction. Your Ignorance is apparent, perhaps you should rewatch it again LMAO.:sick::devilish::sick::devilish::sick::devilish:

You are putting words in his mouth. You always say someone is ignorant about this or that if they don't agree with you.
You resort to childish remarks and talking in circles.
No sir I am not ignorant to this or the G H deer herd, but you are without a doubt very immature.

You can’t hunt there on a General license anymore when you could for the 55+ years he hunted there, that is all gone. You obviously are Ignorant of the local area and the issues affecting the elk herd. He wants the Wyoming Game and Fish to put more effort into decreasing wolves, so far they keep the wolf quotas far too low with wolf numbers far above the 10 packs and 100 wolves we were promised upon introduction. Your Ignorance is apparent, perhaps you should rewatch it again LMAO.:sick::devilish::sick::devilish::sick::devilish:

So I took your advice and watched it again even though it was very painful.
1. Numerous times he says the hunting is destroyed there. GONE
2. The only 3 solutions he suggests are
a. that ranchers need to put electric fences around their property. This is strange to me because later he talks about private property rights. HMMMM seems he also likes talking in circles.
b. Hunt wolves 365 with no quota. Making them predators for the entire state. (no where does he say anything about higher quotas like you say he does) Well anyone that is not ignorant should know this will NEVER happen!
c. take the salaries away from Game and Fish. I wonder if he would work for free?

Now tell me what i missed?

So I took your advice and watched it again even though it was very painful.
1. Numerous times he says the hunting is destroyed there. GONE
2. The only 3 solutions he suggests are
a. that ranchers need to put electric fences around their property. This is strange to me because later he talks about private property rights. HMMMM seems he also likes talking in circles.
b. Hunt wolves 365 with no quota. Making them predators for the entire state. (no where does he say anything about higher quotas like you say he does) Well anyone that is not ignorant should know this will NEVER happen!
c. take the salaries away from Game and Fish. I wonder if he would work for free?

Now tell me what i missed?
What is painful is responding to your Gormless posts. Actually the elk hunting is still very poor in the North Fork and very, very limited quota. I think area 55 gets something like 50 licenses and area 53 the same. Those areas in the 1980s were some of the most productive elk areas in Wyoming on General license and hundreds harvested in each area. Yes he does advocate for much more wolf hunting and most agree the area has far too many wolves with 4 packs alone using the North Fork area when we were promised only 10 packs statewide. He is upset with Fish and Game as he asked Brian Nesvik what he was doing to improve the elk hunting around Cody on the North Fork as elk hunting was so poor. Nesvik’s response was less than adequate and said, we still have hunting in Wyoming. The issue is they are far too conservative on wolf quotas in that part of Wyoming. Elk are doing great overall in Wyoming but other states like Idaho and Montana have finally realized just how destructive they are on elk herds are now finally are pushing back hard. The Governor of Idaho wants to reduce wolf numbers by 90%.

Last edited:
These guys came into my camp over the 4th. The 3rd picture was the big male. Had a bad limp. 6 adult wolves and 2 pups. They were very intrested in the horses smell. They were sniffing all around where the horses ate. Of course come wolf season i wont see them. Happens everytime. I get a tag and never see them. When they spotted us they just laid down and watched us for a bit then booked it out

20210704_211235.jpg

20210704_211658.jpg

20210704_211911.jpg

These guys came into my camp over the 4th. The 3rd picture was the big male. Had a bad limp. 6 adult wolves and 2 pups. They were very intrested in the horses smell. They were sniffing all around where the horses ate. Of course come wolf season i wont see them. Happens everytime. I get a tag and never see them. When they spotted us they just laid down and watched us for a bit then booked it out

View attachment 45434

View attachment 45435

View attachment 45436
This must be in the Trophy area and not the Predator zone? I hope you can take a few of them out this fall. Two of them appear to have radio collars. Looks like a well spent 4th of July.?

All 6 had collars. Pups did not. This pack is well known. I know a few guys that go after them during the elk migration and no one can seem to find them. Lot of hunters wont shoot them during elk season. They dont want the gun shots to spook the elk. It is in the trophy zone. Plus I think a lot guys don't want to pack out the wolf and call it in cause you loose valuable time. Plus being in the backcountry you dont know if the quota has been filled yet..

All 6 had collars. Pups did not. This pack is well known. I know a few guys that go after them during the elk migration and no one can seem to find them. Lot of hunters wont shoot them during elk season. They dont want the gun shots to spook the elk. It is in the trophy zone. Plus I think a lot guys don't want to pack out the wolf and call it in cause you loose valuable time. Plus being in the backcountry you dont know if the quota has been filled yet..
Good luck this year!
Maybe you already know this, but possibly others don't.
If you kill a wolf in the wilderness areas a person has 10 days after the day of the kill to get the wolf checked. Maybe knowing this might change if they was willing to shoot one during the hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom