A novel way of aging steaks

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
1645717782622.png

Edit: this was a boneless rib roast, not a NY loin!

At least novel to me...:)
I guess I really lead a fairly information-challenged life. The other day on my Facebook feed, a 'friend' had posted the above photo of some really good-looking NY steaks. So I commented on well marbled they were.

He went on to explain that he had dry aged them in butter for more than two months. I had never heard of doing that. Anyone here ever try it?

Whole loin encased in butter & just out of the fridge after aging...

1645717948807.png

After cutting into strip steaks...

1645718049890.png

Last edited:
I have studied various ways of aging beef, and can say I don't see the overall gain is worth the wasting of the meat you have to trim off. I'm also too cheap to buy a separate refrigerator, as my wife is NEVER allowing that in "her" fridge!! :)

Most videos I have watched say either way of dry aging, or encapsulating in butter enhances the Beefy "aroma", but doesn't make it any more tender than seasoning and vacuum-packing, then aging in the refrigerator. Plus you throw away a lot of good butter.

I’m the furthest thing from a chef there is on this forum but…… it seems 60+ days in the fridge would have some impact on the texture, flavor and aurora but hell, I’ve check a few fresh deer gut piles for liver so I’m probably not one to be passing judgement.

I have studied various ways of aging beef, and can say I don't see the overall gain is worth the wasting of the meat you have to trim off. I'm also too cheap to buy a separate refrigerator, as my wife is NEVER allowing that in "her" fridge!! :)

Most videos I have watched say either way of dry aging, or encapsulating in butter enhances the Beefy "aroma", but doesn't make it any more tender than seasoning and vacuum-packing, then aging in the refrigerator. Plus you throw away a lot of good butter.
From looking at the first photo, it doesn't appear there was any meat trimming done from how they looked after cutting thru the bundle in the last photo.

I asked him about the butter. He said it's okay to recoup & use for cooking purposes.

We have a 21' side-by-side in the kitchen, and in my office there's a clone of it, plus a 20' frostless upright freezer. All of them are always crammed full even though there are only two of us in the house. We always laugh about it, wondering how we got along over many years with a smaller fridge & freezer when we had three kids living at home. But the benefit is they let us take more advantage of sales.

I’m the furthest thing from a chef there is on this forum but…… it seems 60+ days in the fridge would have some impact on the texture, flavor and aurora but hell, I’ve check a few fresh deer gut piles for liver so I’m probably not one to be passing judgement.
Isn't that the reason for the aging -- to somehow alter all those things? They sure don't look the worse for wear to me. ?‍♂️

Not really apples and oranges comparison, but close. The butter just acts a a seal (like plastic) so it doesn't dry out. Once it sets up hard, it doesn't penetrate the meat at all. As for the cooking process, they did do the other two steaks in butter at the very end, but they did the Sous Vide for TWO hours with melted butter, before fully cooking the steak the entire time in butter. I bet it was wonderful, but I'm not wasting my butter!!

As for dry aging, I need to try it in a true aging chamber with a +/- one degree temp controller, and constant humidity to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Seems like you'd spend more on the butter than you'd lose in trim if you did it this way. But might be a good idea if you're aging individual steaks rather than a whole loin.

As for dry aging, I need to try it in a true aging chamber with a +/- one degree temp controller, and constant humidity to see if there is a noticeable difference.
You can find a cheap fridge on craigslist and install a thermostat and a humidifier and you've got a dry ager. Add a small computer style fan to keep the air moving and you'll get the best meat you've ever had. If you get mold you don't like wipe it with vinegar.

Dry aged the whole strip loins of my wifes elk this year and ate at various intervals. By 28 days the meat develops a tackiness and texture that reminds me of a really good piece of tuna sashimi. It's the only way to go.

All this “prep” business is about two things, right? And neither are time and money, am I right again?

Just checking…….

Not really apples and oranges comparison, but close. The butter just acts a a seal (like plastic) so it doesn't dry out. Once it sets up hard, it doesn't penetrate the meat at all. As for the cooking process, they did do the other two steaks in butter at the very end, but they did the Sous Vide for TWO hours with melted butter, before fully cooking the steak the entire time in butter. I bet it was wonderful, but I'm not wasting my butter!!
It appeared one of the key differences was the need to trim. None for the butter wrapped, compared to cutting away all the yukky stuff from the dry aged one.

Two pounds of butter cost less than one pound of the meat...like maybe $6 or so. Now amortize that over 60 days. Some folks pay that much to watch guppies have intercourse. ?

I surely have no idea what happens over the course of 60 days, but from reading various treatises on it, the butter supposedly affects the flavor differently than standard aging does. ?‍♂️

I guess the real test would be to take a whole rib, cut it in half & do one half dry & the other in butter.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting concept that I hadn't heard of before.

I've dry aged a few and feel extended aging is over rated. I'd prefer to grab a good cut and eat it. Don't think the little bit of added flavor was worth the wait and waste. A short rest in the fridge for 1-2 weeks IMO is ample.

TC: Me and you both, on wild game. I like to rinse them off, season heavily and vacuum pack for 7-10 days in the fridge. Beef is already aged 1-2 weeks when you get it, so season and rest 3-5 days is perfect for me and the family.

View attachment 69211
Edit: this was a boneless rib roast, not a NY loin!

At least novel to me...:)
I guess I really lead a fairly information-challenged life. The other day on my Facebook feed, a 'friend' had posted the above photo of some really good-looking NY steaks. So I commented on well marbled they were.

He went on to explain that he had dry aged them in butter for more than two months. I had never heard of doing that. Anyone here ever try it?

Whole loin encased in butter & just out of the fridge after aging...

View attachment 69213

After cutting into strip steaks...

View attachment 69214
1.Take the butter off the meat.
2. Sear the steak in a cast iron pan.
3. Put the butter in the pan and baste the steak until the desired doneness. I hate to waste butter. :)

1.Take the butter off the meat.
2. Sear the steak in a cast iron pan.
3. Put the butter in the pan and baste the steak until the desired doneness. I hate to waste butter. :)
That's exactly what they do in the video on the site I posted earlier. They also add some herbs. Watch it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom