A Promise Kept

nmyotebuster

About this time last year, there was a thread come up about how some felt that it was ridiculous that the youth in our state got some of the "prime" hunting windows.

I took a personal exception to this, and made a public promise to take one new hunter under my wing every year and hopefully start them on a path that has blessed my life over and over.

An oportunity arose that I couldn't turn away from. A friend from HS has a son who had seen us shooting our bows in the yard ( my 3 daughters and I ) and showed interest. After seeing the cost, ( he came and asked me how much our stuff was ), I could see the hurt in his eyes when he realized he would probably never be able to afford what we do, being 12 years old, and having a single mom raising him and his 2 younger brothers on her own.

I worked out a deal with him that if he would help me around the yard, and do some work for me, I would cover half the cost of the bow out of my pocket, and he could pay off the rest with work. I found a GREAT used parker buckshot on AT, and was able to get that for a steal.

Here are a few photos of us this past year ( I don't think he owns a t-shirt that isn't RED );

It started in the yard, with him BARELY able to draw it:
P7231447.jpg

After a while, his form started to shape up, and he was getting the hang of it:
P7231454.jpg

A bit more practice, and they were all in the kill zone:
P7231455.jpg

Soon we were giving the ditches a hard time:
P7231446.jpg

P7231440.jpg

He did some pre-season scouting with us for my Sept Deer season, but due to school, could not make it out on the hunt.

Next was my daughter's youth encouragement hunt for elk in November that he accompanied us on:

He found his first muley shed:
PB261650.jpg

And got to experience the thrill of bull elk up close, but no cows, and also learned how to keep a jeep moving in 6 inches of muck:
PB261647.jpg

WInter rolled in, and we were FINALLY able to get him into a Hunter's Education class, did I mention he scored a 100%! Unfortunately we didn't get drawn for those amazing guided hunts, but it was a great success for him.

With hunter's ed done, we can now HUNT!!

A trip out chasing ducks!!!
P1071734.jpg

P1071737.jpg

Today was the day he had been counting down to. We just finished his first application for the New Mexico draw. I have put he and my daughter together on an elk app, and he couldn't be happier. ( I can't wait to see his face WHEN they draw, not if ..... ).

Thanks New Mexico, for the opportunities that you present the hunters of the future here in our state. They are the ones who will keep this passion of ours alive, long after we are gone.

He will accompany us this spring for turkey, and will help us whittle away at the bass and trout numbers over the summer, all in anticipation of his first hunt this fall ( youth encouragement if necessary ).

Now to find that next hunter that I can hopefully help with my addiction.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope you too can find the joy I do in bringing a new sportsman into our fold.

NMYB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Agreed, AWESOME! I remember that thread 'Yotebuster...we both argued the cause for the YO hunts.

Thanks for this post, VERY inspiring!

Cheers man

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-12 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]Great job NMyotebuster. That is exactly what all of us need to be doing.
His success will feel better than you filling your own tag I expect.

I have been in a few conversations with different people over the last few years where they complained about kids getting premium tags. That just drives me crazy.

I have heard every excuse. They will be ruined for further hunts, they wound animals, etc.....

That is such selfish BS. We need future hunters so a good tag to get them success is important.

As far as wounding animals the kids I have hunted with have done better than adults I have seen. They listen and do not know it all already.

We need to make sure that Youth hunts are left in place. NMGF has done a great job with them. There is a lot of people complaining about them, I sure hope they ignore them.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-12 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]That is awesome. Congrats to you and the young man on his 100%. Hope he gets his first elk tag and has a great hunt. Heck if he wants I know I've got a spare knife/sheath laying around. Pm me your address and its his. If that is ok with his mother.

Agree....And I can attest from my own kids and other kids I been with myself, to a youth or even a first time young'n, a forky, spike (where legal..), or even a slick headed critter is truely a "trophy" in thier eyes. The mere recognition given to youth to be afield seperate from the congestion some units may see during general hunts is in and of itself the key to the "quality" of the youth experience. Its not the size, but the experience of being out in "it". Notice the things kids see and comment on when out hunting... I more often than not find a youth will see things and ask questions that I fail to notice, as I once did when I was thier age.. A rock formation in the distance, a bone, a colored rock, a lizard. Things I kind of pass over and forget to notice sometimes. And then, if you lucky enough, the questions really roll during field dressing! Kinda cool...

Nice, Keep up all the hard work of raising a good bunch kids.
Seems to me that you are doing the job right.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Great story yote. We should all take the time to heip a kid
go hunting.Both my kids are to old for the youth hunts now. But its a very good program and should be left in place.The prime time hunts are a must because it gives them a chance at geting something and not geting bored.
The Quote (take your kids hunting now so you don't have to hunt for them later) is SO TRUE!

CC

Well done!

Please let me know if I can help you out with supplies; can get you nearly anytyhing related to archery/bowhunting www.aceoutdooressentials.com and will help you outfit youth at minimal cost.

While I applaud NM youth program, I personally don't see the need to set aside trophy tags for youth (bighorn, ibex, etc.). I think quite often it simply creates too much pressure and the dad is really the one 'hunting' for the kid. Kid's will be plenty happy having the opportunity for cows, female-immature, etc. and if they are interested in trophy hunting they should apply for regular hunts. Just my humble opinion on this issue and certainly don't mean to derail this thread.

Again, GREAT JOB!

JD, AWESOME JOB brother! Happy to get an update from you!

Tell that kid we're all very proud of him for getting 100% on his Hunters Ed test!

You 'da MAN!

PM Sent...

I usually don't get on here and post much because of all the crying, moaning, sand in everyone's man-gina, anti-NR, anti-guide,anti-private land, anti-rancher,conspiracy, I'm 300 lbs and rich,the world owes me something pissing contests, but Yotebuster I applaud you and hope God blesses you and those kids with the tag of a lifetime, even if it's MY tag!!!!hahaha

GOOD JOB!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. It has been a blessing watching him grow both as a hunter and a young man over the last year.

Now to get everyone ready for Turkey season. My daughter is itching to shoot a bird. I love to see the competitive nature between these two. Now if I can only put some opportunities in front of them. I think NMPaul and I share the same luck with turkeys.

Good Luck to all this year in the draw, I hope to see you out on the llano somewhere.

And I have responded to all the PMs I think. This board and the hunters in it are good people.

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Indeed. We could all learn from your actions and be better men for it. More importantly, we should all try to make better young men out of those growing up around us. Thank you for sharing and the time you spent making that young man's life better.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom