A story about piles of stupid, compounded by stupid, with a side of stupid

I respect your opinion but with hunters being such a minority I would have to vote for what the masses want.

When the masses want hunting ended completely, I will not be voting for or going along with what they want.

I agree some hunters have done immense damage, and there is always an accounting. But I’m not willing to give up perfectly legal and ethical activities on public lands just because some might be offended.

When the masses want hunting ended completely, I will not be voting for or going along with what they want.

I agree some hunters have done immense damage, and there is always an accounting. But I’m not willing to give up perfectly legal and ethical activities on public lands just because some might be offended.

SS is, he's ready to vote with em!

I wouldn’t expect people to give up legal activities but it’s naive to think that there’s not going to be areas that will need to be restricted due to human conflict. Is it an attack on hunting? Nope. I would argue on the contrary it’s to preserve what we love to do. It’s not a give them an inch they take a mile. It’s being respectful of other people hobbies etc. Who would really want to hunt by a lake with moms pushing strollers by? Kinda takes away from the experience…

I used to hunt early goose hunts not far from this area outside of Jackson. I’ll never forget the time a red Subaru wagon drove by the fields we were hunting, jumped out with binos and watched us for a while. We were quite a distance from the little backroad they were driving that morning. The only way they could know we weren’t just a flock of geese that far away in the field is they had binos and saw my buddy when he got out of the layout blind to fix something.

They sat there for 30 minutes, just watching. When a flock of geese started working our setup they had two people out of the car jumping up and down, waiving their arms, yelling, with another laying on the car horn. As I said, we were quite a ways away from the road so they had no impact on flock and the only thing them waiting around did was allow them see us dump 6 birds.

Some, maybe even some here, might suggest that we shouldn’t have shot that flock because it will give these antis a reason to hate us. Screw them, and forget that. We were on a giant property (tens of thousands of acres) with permission from the property owner, legally and ethically hunting geese. If a car full of huggers didn’t like it, they didn’t have to sit there with binos for 30 minutes so they could watch it all go down while trying to screw up our hunt.

The principle DW is trying to get across is powerful to me. Yes, I agree that our actions as hunters can be our own worst enemy. But where do we draw the line? Clearly this action by these elk hunters was unwise. Is hunting the foothills on the extended that we’ve been hunting for decades the same, since all the yuppies buying up prop

If you arrow 4deer, leave them laying for 33 hours, a stones throw from a major highway, then YES hunting the extended is going to suffer.

I'm actually surprised there are guys even balking on this one. I figured it was good for a head shake and a laugh.

Just for starters, the mess these clowns created for the local guys is inexcusable. They stir up a hornets nest, than high tail it back to Minnesota. Wyoming should go 95/5 after that.

A 79yr old dude, shouldn't think he can wade City Creek, let alone the Snake.

I can't think of any 79 yr olds I know of that can pack out elk, let alone across a creek. And I especially can't at high elevation.

This story has less to do about the public. I agree. They shoot an elk, float out, cut it up, float it out, and the public cries, TOO BAD. But the public, including hunters, seeing elk bloat up, while idiots stand there looking stupid, have a right to be pissed.

All the tangent 14ers, or goose hunting is just that. This was a freaking debacle, and there isn't any way to spin it. Other than TRI, I'm shocked anyone is trying to defend it.

hoss
I don't see that vanilla and others are disagreeing with you they have said in their posts that they do think this was a bad play on the hunters but they question when do we stop giving in to the anti hunting groups. The same groups that hate everything that once was normal American society.
The problem with your argument is if you do not agree with you 100 percent then we are 100 percent wrong.

hoss
I don't see that vanilla and others are disagreeing with you they have said in their posts that they do think this was a bad play on the hunters but they question when do we stop giving in to the anti hunting groups. The same groups that hate everything that once was normal American society.
The problem with your argument is if you do not agree with you 100 percent then we are 100 percent wrong.

The BHA still bleeds thru.....

hoss

No,. I don't disagree with DW or Vanilla. Except to say that this wasn't a story about antis seeking to stop hunting.

It is a story about how to create antis by being stupid.

"It's legal", imo, doesn't even apply here. I'm sure Wyoming has retrieval and wanton waste laws, and there ain't a chance that meat was still good.

WE, be it this story, Cecil the Lion, the Bowman's, etc, have a population amongst us that are REALLY hurting us.

We aren't going to convince the true antis. Problem is, we will create more with stunts like this.

But no, I don't disagree with DW or Vanilla in general.

hoss
This is what you stated just above.

"All the tangent 14ers, or goose hunting is just that. This was a freaking debacle, and there isn't any way to spin it. Other than TRI, I'm shocked anyone is trying to defend it."

Neither Vanilla or DW are trying to defend the elk slaughter. I took it they used an experience they had as an example of how easy a ethical clean hunting practice can get construed as bad publicity for hunting and they are saying where do we draw the line as hunters and say screw them anti groups, if you do not like seeing what I am doing then stay the woods while hunting season going on.

"an ethical clean hunting practice....."

Perhaps I'm not clear, won't be the first time.
I don't see where this was ethical or clean. And whether it was on public land, or private, the location is a very minor part of the story.

We only have so much political capital, we should not waste any of it defending this, or playing "what aboutism". And not to appease an anti. But to enforce that WE are our own worst enemy. WE will lose more hunting rights than any anti will take(just ask any private land owner why they lock their gates, they will tell you all about how chitty hunters are).

We can't all be in the same boat, then allow a couple idiots to shoot holes in it. We all then sink.

In my ideal world, WE crucify this crap. Hunters won't read liberal press. They would read hunting media. We need the point driven home by us.

Hoss, you’ve clearly missed the point. I have not defended the actions on the elk hunt a single time. In fact, I’ve said more than once in this thread that I agree with your take on it. It seems you’re hell bent on arguing with people that agree with you.

Not sure what else to say? Oh well.

I usually try very hard to remain aware of my behavior in the field. I see no need to offend the non-hunting public (or anyone else for that matter) if I can avoid it.
Having said that, I can see how even an experienced, courteous hunter can find himself in an awkward situation.
I know it has happened to me!
As long as the "offended" person remains courteous & respectful, he/she will receive the same from me. As has been said already, I am tired of being offended, or conceding any more of my rights, just because someone might be offended.
It is public land. It is hunting season!

Hoss, you’ve clearly missed the point. I have not defended the actions on the elk hunt a single time. In fact, I’ve said more than once in this thread that I agree with your take on it. It seems you’re hell bent on arguing with people that agree with you.

Not sure what else to say? Oh well.

One day, we should have that beer I owe you. Guessing we might hug it out??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom