A woman as speaker of the house...yeeehaw!

AspenAdventures

Very Active Member
In the past week, there are 476 documents on Nexis heralding the magnificent achievement of Nancy Pelosi becoming the FIRST WOMAN speaker of the House.

I thought we had moved beyond such multicultural milestones.

The media yawned when Condoleezza Rice became the first black female secretary of state (and when Lincoln Chaffee became the first developmentally disabled senator).

There were only 77 documents noting that Rice was the first black woman to be the secretary of state, and half of them were issues of Jet, Essence, Ebony or Black Entrepreneur magazine.

A New York Times profile of Rice at the time waited until the last sentence to note in passing that Rice was "only the second woman, and the first black woman, to hold the job." (In a separate column by me, it was noted that Rice was the "first competent woman" to hold the job.)

Not everyone ignored Secretary Rice's achievement. Gore's campaign manager, Donna Brazile ? the last black person to hold a prominent role in any Democratic presidential campaign ? told Newsweek that when she watched President Bush nominate Rice, "I had chills up and down my spine." Brazile said: "I never thought in my lifetime I'd see an African-American woman being nominated as secretary of state. George Bush made that happen."

On MSNBC's "Hardball," even Al Sharpton said of Rice's appointment, "I don't think you can sneeze at the fact that she has made a tremendous achievement as the first black woman in history to be a State Department head."

Rice was not the first black secretary of state because Bush had already made Colin Powell the first black secretary of state. That was back during Bush's first term, when Rice was the first female national security adviser.

Bush also named Alberto Gonzales the first Hispanic attorney general. He made an Arab-American, Spencer Abraham, secretary of energy; a Cuban-American, Carlos Gutierrez, secretary of commerce; an Asian-American, Elaine Chao, secretary of labor; and a retarded-American, Norman Mineta, secretary of transportation. It was as if Mariah Carey and Tiger Woods had children and they all joined the Bush Cabinet.

The whole place has been lousy with women since the first Bush term, including Gale Ann Norton, secretary of the interior, Ann Veneman, secretary of agriculture, and Margaret Spellings, secretary of education. For a while there, it looked as if Bush might become the first president whose entire Cabinet's menstrual cycles were synchronized.

In a rare article taking note of Bush's "Benetton-ad presidency," Time magazine's Joe Klein said of Bush's second-term appointments: "It took Bush a month before he named a standard-issue white male."

By contrast, John Kerry hired only white males for top positions in his presidential campaign, a fact so embarrassing that even the media eventually took notice. In Kerry's defense, almost all of his and Teresa's domestic servants appear to have been people of color, although we still don't have a final head count on the place in Aspen.

But when Nancy Pelosi ? another Democrat who married a multimillionaire ? achieves the minor distinction of becoming the first female speaker of the House, The New York Times acts like she's invented cold fusion.

There were two major articles breathlessly reporting Pelosi's magnificent achievement as first female speaker and an op-ed by Bob Herbert, titled "Ms. Speaker and Other Trends." Beatifying Pelosi as "the most powerful woman ever to sit in Congress," Herbert began: "Sometimes you can actually feel the winds of history blowing." There was a major Times profile of Pelosi, gushing that Pelosi was "on the brink of becoming the first female speaker." (Isn't she just the most independent little gal?)

So in addition to bringing back a cut-and-run national security strategy, tax-and-spend domestic policy and a no-enforcement immigration policy, the new Democratic Congress is apparently ushering in a return to feminist milestones.

I warned you people about what might happen if "Take Your Daughter to Work Day" ever caught on, and now you've got no one but yourselves to blame. Happy now?

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Don't worry, if Nancy Pelosi were a republican, we'd have hardly heard anything about it. It's not that she's going to be the first female speaker of the house, its that she going to be the first femal speaker and SHE'S A DEMOCRAT.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-06 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]Anne Coulter wrote that? Shocking! I hate to pi$$ in your punchbowl but she is a wackjob! That doesn't mean Pelosi isn't. What exactly has Condi done, really?

Haven't you figured out yet that all our politicians are millionares with nothing else to do. If I had their money I'd be hunting all year every year or doing something constructive.

You are one strange cat Aspen (sorry Bessie)> Do you think it might have something to do with the fact the speaker of the house is 2nd in line for the presidency. The other offices you mentioned happen to be a little farther down the line.

Like corn said Polosi will be the most powerful woman in American history, I don't know if I like her or not but 3rd in line to the president is not a minor position as your right wing nut job says. I might add also she had to be elected by the people to that position not appointed to a position by a retard as Condi was. not that I think Condi was a bad choice, she's been very loyal and even loses her memory when she needs to .

Zigga, I posted the source after the article in hopes that would help stop people from attacking her instead of what she had to say. It's easy to attack people like we did in elementary school but try to dismantle what she said with a real factual arguement. instad of calling her names. Try...

Dude and TK, once again, try to find fault with what was said and come up with a good arguement. Don't attack people anc call names like children. If Ann has a flaw in her arguement then please discuss it but in the mean time try to pull yourself out of the gutter and talk about the issues with some sense of dignity.

"Like corn said Polosi will be the most powerful woman in American history..."

No, I think that position was held by Monica. . .

Aspen,
What more is there to say, Polosi will be 3rd in line to the president and your hero Ann says that's no big deal. you want arguments to garbage your heros like Ann and Rush throw out there for you guys and most of the time it's either false or so stupid and far fetched it isn't worth the time it takes to respond. your radio heros are going to keep spuing out the dooms day dems are evil crap and if you guys keep sucking it up like a hoover deluxe you're going to have a stroke. relax, the dems have been in office before and we're all still here.

Yea! you are right about that one Tfinal, Monica had old slick willie by his gonads, TOTAL CONTROL by all counts.

RELH

>Dude and TK, once again, try
>to find fault with what
>was said and come up
>with a good arguement.
>Don't attack people anc call
>names like children. If
>Ann has a flaw in
>her arguement then please discuss
>it but in the mean
>time try to pull yourself
>out of the gutter and
>talk about the issues
>with some sense of dignity.
>
>
No thanks, DAD! I'd rather insert an acerbic comment that says how I REALLY feel.

Ann is a terrifically brash, terrifically smart pundit. If she didn't write the way she did, she would be just another blogger with a law degree. She raises hackles on the lefties much like Bill Mahrer raises hackles on conservatives. Shock value.

The gist of the article is pointing out that though the Republican party is typically seen by those on the other side of the isle as bigoted, racist and mysoginistic, it is in fact just the opposite. The Bush administration has put these supposed foils in positions of high places and with great success for the most part. Rice knows 5 languages, has multiple phd's, is a concert pianist. You don't think that that counts for something when she has to interface with the snobby euros or mingle with the other countries' typically male dominated political bodies?

The dems on the other hand, hold minorities to a lower standard. I think reading between the lines, you will see that she is sarcastically pointing out that minorities of every race and gender are to be used as tools to get votes. They do this by promising social programs, and taxing the "rich" (which is probably anything over a combined income of 50K per year). The "rich" are villified for tax breaks, when in fact they are the tax base for the most part.

John Kerry, during his presidential run, hired nothing but white guys from what I understand, yet he says he is the best to represent the "poor underclass?"

Pelosi is married to a multimillionaire. In fact, most of these pols are very well off. The hypocrisy comes when these uber millionaires want the average joe to pay more taxes that we can't really afford. They certainly can, so its no harm to them. They probably have tax right-offs most of us can only dream about. Strange little LLCs and things like that.

The "neocons" if you will, are the tax base. The neocons are the middle class that want their tax cuts and tax breaks. The neocons are republican voters for the most part who probably make less than 100K/year combined, but shoulder the bulk of the taxes. We're too rich for welfare, too poor not to work.

There is my synopsis AA.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-06 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]While I oppose her views of politics and the her belief that government can solve problems I do think she was duly elected to her position. She has won the right to drive the House agenda through a valid election.

Rather the disbarrage her as no big deal I would rather point out her voting record.

Go look at project votes smart's website and take a view of her record on tax bills. I can't find one vote since 1999 to lower any tax. She has voted for nearly every appropriations bill presented including every War appropriation bill sent to the floor of the house.

Look at her votes on Congressional Affairs: Voted No to investigate Jack Abramhoff, Voted No for a bipartisan investigation of Katrina response, Voted No to reform 527 groups, Vote No to reform House Ethics

Voted Against every Private Property Protection Bill brought to the House floor, including Amending Eminent Domain.

Go read it she is anti business, pro tax, pro illegal immigration, etc, etc. I am not opposed to her rise to power through our election system, I just don't like her politics and oppose most of what she supports.

Nemont

JimNV said it better than I could.

Dude, once again you just don't get the point. Read JimNV's post again. Ann is stating that Republicans have appointed blacks and hispanics and women to so many more high places than dems and no one says anything. Then Pelosi gets in and someone has reinvented the wheel.

"The dems have been in office before and we're all still here"

What a bunch of B.S. Yeah "we're still here" - but how? How many freedoms have we lost to dems?

Maybe you were born yesterday, but I wasn't and I've seen the changes dems either brought about or tried to. The pot is slowly coming to a boil. Just sit back and watch. And if you're young enough you'll see plenty - if you keep your eyes open.

Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi! What . . . barf!

To listen to some of you guys cry it sounds like you're going to be locked in a box and fed fish heads until the dems are out again. nobody can say everything the dems do will be good but if you can say with a stait face everything the repubicans have done in the last 6 years was good you have a better poker face than me. at least stop crying before you're hurt they don't even take over until January.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom