A3 guide Jed Larson convicted of poaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoBull350

Just spreading the word. Let's see if a moderator erases this even without a post.
Screenshot_20200402-010145_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20200402-010225_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20200402-010250_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20200402-010335_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20200402-221714_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thanx! Thought I saw this early morning, then it disappeared. Thought I was dreaming it was posted. SMH!

So, looks like they snuck onto the res and killed a big Bull, tried to hide it, and got caught. He has to pay 23k in fines. Does he lose any hunting privileges or anything else?

so...without having to read all of that.....what did he do?

thanks Tony....I was typing while you were reading....

Unfortunately, this is what happens when big money and wildlife mix. The number of "tv star hunters", wildlife guides and outfitters, and organizations making ethics decisions based on money will continue to increase.

He did not lose his hunting and guiding privileges due to claiming that is his only source of income. He didnt pay a fine because he is too poor. Attempted to get out of the restitution by claiming the reservation didnt own the elk he poached. And is currently still employed as a guide.

I will ask the same question I asked the first time. What happened to the client?

I'm not making a statement about the incident here when I say I bet there has been more than one bull jumped that fence after being shot.

He works for A3 guide services. The documents make it clear that Jed admits to crossing onto the rez where the elk was then shot. Nothing happened to the client.

WTF???? He poaches a huge bull elk on the Rez and gets a $25 fine and because he’s too poor to pay what the fine should be.....I thought the way it works was.... pay the fine or do the time. Did AZG&F confiscate the bull ? What happen to A3 .

WTF???? He poaches a huge bull elk on the Rez and gets a $25 fine and because he’s too poor to pay what the fine should be.....I thought the way it works was.... pay the fine or do the time. Did AZG&F confiscate the bull ? What happen to A3 .
It was a federal issue so U.S. fish and wildlife did confiscate the bull. The federal court was the one that decided to not take his license and supposedly the AZGFD has no power to do anything to him now regarding taking his license. When it all went down Jed attempted to separate himself from A3 saying he wasn't guiding for them at the time and booked this hunter on his own (except he didnt have any of the necessary permits or insurance) he was right back to guiding hunts for A3 soon after and is still guiding for them to this day. As far as I'm concerned keeping on a convicted poacher that is known as one of your top guides isnt a good look but they dont seem to mind.

I'm puzzled as to why the client wasn't held accountable also. If you consider a parking ticket being held accountable. Sheesh....

That is BS !! It’s cheaper to poach one off the Rez than it is to put in for a tag, wait 20 years to draw a unit 23 tag. I think I’ll quit my job in Sept go poach one off the Rez and if I get caught tell them I’m unemployed and might not even have to pay the $25 ???

You've got to be sh1ting me! He didn't even get a slap on the wrist? Dang, why am I wasting my time trying to draw tags? Just have a buddy tag along with you, claim he is your client just in case you get caught.

You've got to be sh1ting me! He didn't even get a slap on the wrist? Dang, why am I wasting my time trying to draw tags? Just have a buddy tag along with you, claim he is your client just in case you get caught.
Right? If everyone knew there was a $25 buffer zone along that fence, I bet it would be even more popular than it is.

The way I read it all he got charged is a 25 dollar fee and 24 months probation.
It’s apparent that he had a pretty good attorney.
Does anyone know the details of how they got caught? obviously someone must’ve turned them in.

The way I read it all he got charged is a 25 dollar fee and 24 months probation.
It’s apparent that he had a pretty good attorney.
Does anyone know the details of how they got caught? obviously someone must’ve turned them in.
Word was another hunter hunting near the boundary noticed crows not too far onto the reservation side and knew jeds hunter had recently killed a bull near there. Called game and fish to check it out. Indian game and fish found the carcass, matched the background up with the grip and grin photos posted all over the internet and after confiscating the bull DNA tested to confirm it was the same. Pictures quickly disappeared once they realized they were caught.
Part of their defense was see we didnt even realize we did anything wrong because we posted it all over the internet! We weren't trying to hide anything. What they meant was we never thought anyone would know we killed it on the rez so we acted like everything was normal until we got caught.

Last edited:
A good soul dug up the picture and posted it on another site. Funny A3 is plastered right on the picture and when crap hit the fan they were running as far away from being tied to that bull as they could haha
tolinoli.JPG.5a4afe53d081ae8e7ee4f907730f4cb5.jpeg

You never know what some people will do when they think no one is looking. That would have made some legal Hunter a bull of 10 lifetimes !! Must be he hasn’t heard of ON XMaps.

I'm curious if the Hunter knew what they were doing???...very good chance he didn't

Its just a 4 strand barbed wire fence where I've seen it, and has signs sometimes. It sorta zig zags a little in places and I could see where somone unfamiliar could shoot something on the wrong side with a rifle. Not a bow.

Its inexcusable and they should have thrown the book at them BOTH. And I agree this only seems to happen when someone is watching. Weird.

You never know what some people will do when they think no one is looking. That would have made some legal Hunter a bull of 10 lifetimes !! Must be he hasn’t heard of ON XMaps.

Lmao.... ask MuleyFreak how “not knowing” how to use ONXMaps worked out for him...

If anyone cares to read all the details to the case, you can form your own opinion. Myself and my client were unaware of any wrong doing for almost a year until US F&W made contact with us. We cooperated 100% with them and their investigation which lasted multiple years. In the end, the evidence pointed to the fact that this was nothing more than an honest mistake. The prosecutor and judge came to the same conclusion. I'm embarrassed and apologetic to the bad light this may shine on my family, client and A3, as they are all class acts. I have been involved with A3 for five years and have never heard or seen anyone associated with them do anything questionable in the woods. I'm proud to be friends with so many great people in that company!

The only way to stop this kind of stuff is don’t anybody hire A3 everybody should be held to the same rules rich guide or not it’s up to us to get the word out. I watched a guide in unit 21 in nm give three different stories on who was hunting they are no all honest.

If anyone cares to read all the details to the case, you can form your own opinion. Myself and my client were unaware of any wrong doing for almost a year until US F&W made contact with us. We cooperated 100% with them and their investigation which lasted multiple years. In the end, the evidence pointed to the fact that this was nothing more than an honest mistake. The prosecutor and judge came to the same conclusion. I'm embarrassed and apologetic to the bad light this may shine on my family, client and A3, as they are all class acts. I have been involved with A3 for five years and have never heard or seen anyone associated with them do anything questionable in the woods. I'm proud to be friends with so many great people in that company!

I read all the details of the posted document. And I'm not going to judge, defend, or prosecute you. Our legal system has done that.

However, as a NR accumulating elk and mule deer points in AZ and other states, I would expect my outfitter/guide to be very familiar with the boundaries of the unit my tag was good for. Now after seeing this post, I will seriously consider purchasing my own OnX maps and paying attention to it instead of just relying on my guide, if I choose to go with an outfitter.

You went with the I didnt know defense because that's all you had. You cooperated fully because you knew you were F'ed. All the court documents you can get have been posted. For one of the most experienced guides in unit 23 to claim he didnt know he crossed the rez fence is laughable but I see why that's the route you chose because you had no other option. Not sure how anyone could ever trust a guide that doesn't have a clue where he is. Also wonder on your way back out when you hit the fence did you go turn yourself in or just go with the what the hell is this thing in my way that's been here for 50 years marking the boundary? I believe the saying goes ignorance is no excuse to the law. But we all know it wasn't ignorance anyway.

Its just a 4 strand barbed wire fence where I've seen it, and has signs sometimes. It sorta zig zags a little in places and I could see where somone unfamiliar could shoot something on the wrong side with a rifle. Not a bow.

Its inexcusable and they should have thrown the book at them BOTH. And I agree this only seems to happen when someone is watching. Weird.
Does anyone know how far inside the Rez boundary the kill was made?
Was it a rifle or bow kill?
Thanks

If you are hunting that fence line and shooting across canyons you need to know where the fence is. Its not that hard.

JedL my question is did you have a gps or onx,Gaia, or some other gps device on you ? how do you not check were you are when you know you’re close? I live near a big bull Rez and always check to see how close I am to the Rez because it is a big dollar no no and the bull goes to the tribe but for $25 bucks I’m thinking of crossing over next time I see a big bull go back on the rez. How much did your lawyer cost ? I need his number.

Lmao.... ask MuleyFreak how “not knowing” how to use ONXMaps worked out for him...

Not to derail the thread, but how did it work out? I thought he had his hunting privileges suspended, but noticed he is still posting videos of what I assume are new hunts. Thought it was odd, anyone know?

Last edited:
It is not surprising that you are proud and appreciative of A3, they continue to employ you and pay you. It is not surprising that you have never seen anyone else with A3 do anything wrong, after all you claim you never knew you had done anything wrong.

Yes we can all make mistakes. However, an Outfitter who gets paid to guide hunters must be held to a higher standard. Some who is not a hired outfitter may get by with I did not know where I was. But an Outfitter that markets its knowledge and expertise on knowing where and how to put its hunters on the big bulls in a specified unit, should be able to do just that, IN THE SPECIFIC UNIT! Someone who pays BIG MONEY to A3 for its expertise should be able to rely on its to have guides who WILL NOT cross that line. It is not acceptable for them to say "we" did not know. Then for that same Outfitter to keep employed someone who did cross that line, say a lot.

As for the guide, again what do you mean you did not know. It was your job to know. It was your job not to even come close to crossing that line. You were supposed to be the expert about such things. No way you get a pass by saying you were unaware. IF you are hunting close to the line and do not know where you are for CERTAIN, then you do let the hunter shoot. That simple. ZERO tolerance for hired guides to allow this to happen.

It is like gun safety, always know your target and beyond. Never pull the trigger unless you know for certain that what you are shooting at is legal. Always, no exception. No excuse for failing to do so. Especially when you are hired to make sure this is so.

In the eyes of the anti hunting community this light sentence, and then re-hire, provide too much evidence to be used against our sport and the honest law abiding hunters who are always under attack because of such unacceptable conduct.

At least that is my opinion.

Last edited:
This was no accident! And i'm willing to bet there are other violations hidden that he got away with that led to this happening. We are talking about a guide that has guided in 23 for years and years that dang well knows exactly where the boundary is. A guy that has had a reputation for fence jumping for a long time in and around the White Mountains of Arizona. He killed a 400" typical down in 23 in 2013 and had been hunting it prior to that so he 100% knew the boundaries and laws. Then he says nobody at A3 does anything shady or illegal when everyone knows and has seen the things they do. The worst part of it all is that he keeps his ability to guide and hunt. Large fines and revocation of hunting/guiding privileges for 5-10 years should be a minimum penalty for all issues like this. It might be his only source of income but that is his own fault for not being able to hold down a decent job. He got off very lucky on this, but there is no doubt in my mind that he was aware of what he did and was doing at the time. Outfitters like A3 are the problem in the hunting world. Their quest for fame and glory make guides and hunters willing to bend some rules in order to get on a magazine cover or TV Show.

They need to go back and check every kill this guy had I would be willing to put money that he has done this multiple times.

would scare me if I hired a guide and he did not know we were hunting along the rez border like he was. To have a hunter wait so long to draw a tag and then get the bull taken because a guide he paid to take him claims to have not known they were off public land is crazy. Smell a lot of bs in the story. we all make mistake but does not seem like this mistake cost him anything in the end and that is wrong.

Not to derail the thread, but how did it work out? I thought he had his hunting privileges suspended, but noticed he is still posting videos of what I assume are new hunts. Thought it was odd, anyone know?
Ohh he claimed ONXMaps was in its infancy and didn’t work correctly... They didn’t buy it...

He did loose his license for 2 yrs. so if it’s him pulling triggers on animals, he’s poaching....

Thanks for posting this.... I don’t buy for one second Jed didn’t know he crossed the line, that’s almost laughable... But I am not the judge.

i also find this somewhat humorous or maybe ironic you are posting this given your relationship with another poacher. the family certainly has history with A3....

ANOTHER GOOD READ, THIS IS NOBULL350 BRO...GREAT GUY, lol
Nothing like bringing up another poaching case to justify another poacher. My brother did some stupid stuff and got punished for it so what's your point? Jed committed federal felonies and didnt get punished for it so are the cases equal? Last I checked the two cases had nothing to do with each other nor did Blake's actions have anything to do with what Jed did. When that's your only response it makes it obvious your apathetic towards poaching in any form.

Whether you like result or not, the court has ruled and Larson was punished as they saw fit.

That’s a good question.

I also want to know how far inside the Res. boundary was the kill made?

Did they have to cross a fence to get into the Res?

Was it a bow or rifle hunt?

We may never know the answers to these questions but I would think if the elk was confiscated and the client lost the antlers and all of his money that he could have a hell of a lawsuit going and that might reveal a lot of these details.
Or possibly the client knew exactly what they were doing and is just as guilty as the guide.

I have been there....absoultly no way to be on Res by "mistake" don't need onx don't need GPS. Intentional Trespass.
"Poacher's"

Here is my take. First off You the outfitter should and I guarantee you did know exactly where you were when you took that Bull. You committed a crime period!! Just because you cannot pay the penalty and they let you off with a $25 fine and 24month probation, only creates a PUBLIC view of why not poach, my chances might only be 5% of getting caught, and only a hand slap if I get caught. This is so so wrong!!! You are not a true Hunter in my Book, you are a wanna be guide in your mind and a truly unethical Hunter. I truly hope this gets out across the States and you are denied any license anywhere! I was looking at A3 for guide services a month or so ago. Now that I know they hired and continue to keep employed a Poacher, I will have nothing to do with them in the future, and I hope no other hunters do either!!

If we all filled out a back ground check when becoming a member of MM all the “privet investigators” on here would be out of a job.

If we all filled out a back ground check when becoming a member of MM all the “privet investigators” on here would be out of a job.
Do you dispute the facts? And as a general observation, I don't believe the charge that the other posters here are engaged in pot vs kettle is accurate. Most people are still honest.

The victim here was the Rez.

The real question here is what was the input from the Rez council during the hearings.

No federal judge would dare rule against a tribal counsel recommendation.

There is more than one way to skin an Elk,, no matter what side of the reservation fence he is on.

Have no idea who this guy is. Not a clue.

What The hell are folks paying a guide for if the guide "doesn't know where he is"

This BS is getting old.

First WLH, now A3.

It's beyond a joke that every Tom, dick, and Harry is out wandering the woods with an ONX chip or app, yet the "professionals" don't?

$25 is just an insult. An "honest" mistake should have at the least covered the expenses of the LEO and DNA test. That would be honest.

Have no idea who this guy is. Not a clue.

What The hell are folks paying a guide for if the guide "doesn't know where he is"

This BS is getting old.

First WLH, now A3.

It's beyond a joke that every Tom, dick, and Harry is out wandering the woods with an ONX chip or app, yet the "professionals" don't?

$25 is just an insult. An "honest" mistake should have at the least covered the expenses of the LEO and DNA test. That would be honest.
No ONX chip required to know if your on the rez or not in that area. Everyone knows the fence is the line.

The res wanted $23,000, the court gave them the finger.

So you are saying they did “not” get the $23,000 in restitution that the court ordered as part of the plea deal?

Restitution and a fines are two different things.

Last edited:
The LEO's don't have legal authority over non-tribal members unless they are cross deputized. I suppose they could file charges against you in Tribal Court, but I'm not sure what they can do to enforce it.

It seems like an unusually light sentence. I suppose someone could speculate that there's more to the story.

Man cheap guy I wondert where that bull went. I had trail cams in that area getting ready for my hunt on my tribal land and put the hard work but came out empty cause some guys crossed the fence. Even when da boundary line is straight. Probably took sheds off my land while he was at it!?

Man cheap guy I wondert where that bull went. I had trail cams in that area getting ready for my hunt on my tribal land and put the hard work but came out empty cause some guys crossed the fence. Even when da boundary line is straight. Probably took sheds off my land while he was at it!?
Can you post them up?
Would like to see some more angles of that bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom