A9 X5B archery tag.

I drew an A9 X5B archery tag. I had 12 points. I drew this tag 13 years ago and only hunted a few days because I had an archery tag in Nevada also. I like the high desert. I am 71 years old and have lost way more than a step. I shoot a compound, but still with fingers. A lot has happened in X5B in the last 12 years I know. Fires, drought, cheatgrass, etc. And, I know the deer numbers are "low density". This will be my last X5B archery deer hunt in this life so I am going with the "savor the day, savor the moment" attitude. Shooting a nice buck what also help! lol. I am headed there this next week to just look for a camp spot. Wife and dog and I stay in a small toyhauler. We camped at Ramhorn 12 years ago and it was busy to say the least with antelope rifle season. So, probably will avoid that campground, although the water was great there.
I am just interested in your thoughts about X5B, hunt areas, and possible camp spots. Would also be interested in your thoughts about sitting water in that unit.
Thanks. And, I hope I'll be able to return the favor.

I stayed at and really liked Ramhorn when I hunted there. You can head off in many different directions from there. I had the rifle tag but when I was there scouting in the summer I saw several really nice Bucks near there.

The rifle antelope season starts a week later now compared to 12 years ago so the opening archery deer season may not be too crowded at Ramhorn. 12 years ago the campground was FULL.

Sambo, Love the photo of your sheep. I shot a Desert Bighorn with my bow in the East Chocolate Mts of California in 1995. I lost that mount to the Camp Fire Nov. 8th 2018 Paradise, CA. Lost all my mounts. Lost everything I possessed in that fire.

How do I retrieve a PM on this site?

Hey Greg, Mike here, poured your slab for your house, sent you a pm. Good luck on your scouting, and hunt.
Mike

I also drew A9 this year and it will be my first time hunting that zone, but I have been told stories about the area. I will be making a trip to scout asap probably in a couple weeks. Would appreciate any pointers or areas to check out or camp at.Good luck this season Deserve2beworked.

Might need more help from those of you who know X5B. Have done two scout trips thus far. Lots of areas I knew were good 13 years ago have since burnt up and the feed has been replaced with cheatgrass, and Miner’s Lettuce. Fields of non edible stuff. Springs like Juniper Jim, Cottonwood, and Post Camp are completely destroyed by cattle. Where’s the beef? Check out those springs! Saw some does and fawns. Did Shinn Mt. then, went to Cottonwoods, and Buck Horn Res and Lake. Better feed around Buckhorn. Ramhorn camp is very busy with Blm workers camping there. Sure could use a tip or two from you. Will continue to scout of course. My reading today from -2 Corinthians said everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new! Well, that seems true in X5B thus far. But, It’s hunting!

Deserve & Mcook

Good luck on your guys hunts! Look forward to seeing how you do. I drew the rifle tag this year! Good luck boys, shoot straight and stay cool!!

20200822_071804.jpg

Pretty swamped with "to do" since I got back from this hunt. Will write about it asap since you helped so much with advice on the unit. Mike is right, it is a tough hunt. But, the rewards are compounded because you work so hard at it. Open country mule deer archery hunts are #1 in my book.

Congrats to you both,... solid work, Greg's ability's to get it done in "open country" is well known in our town , hope I can still get around like him at 71... nice bucks guys.
Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom