About Time BLM.........

Nevadahunter

I was up scouting around Grassy Mountain and Mule Shoe about a month ago for my nephews deer tag and could not believe how bad the horse problem has become in that part of 22. I came across this article today, they need to remove about 1200 instead of 120 in that area. Hopefully someone in the BLM gets a clue how overran this state is with horses and does something about it.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/blm-gather-nuisance-mustangs-nevada

Big problem with wild horses. The BLM can't kill them so they round 'em up and put 'em pens, then try to auction them. The rules for bidding are so onerous and costly, no one buys them. You must prove you have adequate facilities to hold the horse and report on its whereabouts until it dies. You can't sell it unless the new owner is also vetted by the BLM and in no case can the horse be slaughtered. Each mustang is tattooed and tracked. Last I heard, they had over 50,000 in captivity. The BLM estimates there are only another 43,000 running free, so they have more in captivity than free ranging.

I swear I've seen most of those 43,000 myself in NV and AZ.

I wish the horse hippies would just let the BLM turn them into pet food. They could get rid of the expense of keeping them in captivity and put more resources into rounding them up.

Maybe the Europeans could come over and take them home and sell them as "beef" again?

Hunters need to speak up and support BLM in their push for removal. Right now, BLM is torn between ranchers and horse advocates, and the public sees this issue as a contest between cattle and horses for the lion's share of the resource. Many do not understand that both compete with wildlife, since horse advocates, especially, have campaigned hard to demonstrate (falsely) that horses cause no harm, or are, themselves, wildlife.

It will do sportsmen no good to see cattle removed, only to see them replaced by horses, or vice versa. Hunters need to take the environmentally sound position of insisting on reductions of both.

From the BLM website

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/whbprogram/history_and_facts/quick_facts.html

"Wild Horse and Burro Budget

Congress appropriated $77.245 million to the Wild Horse and Burro Program in Fiscal Year 2014, which ended September 30, 2014. Of the enacted appropriations ($77.245 million), holding costs accounted for $43.235 million (64 percent). Of that year's expenditures ($67.9 million), gathers and removals cost $1.2 million (2 percent), and adoption events cost $4.6 million (7 percent). (The $9.3 million difference between appropriations and expenditures is the result of the use of prior-year, contracted-related funding.)"

77 million of yours and my tax dollars.

>From the BLM website
>
>http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/whbprogram/history_and_facts/quick_facts.html
>
>"Wild Horse and Burro Budget
>
>Congress appropriated $77.245 million to the
>Wild Horse and Burro Program
>in Fiscal Year 2014, which
>ended September 30, 2014.
>Of the enacted appropriations ($77.245
>million), holding costs accounted for
>$43.235 million (64 percent).
>Of that year's expenditures ($67.9
>million), gathers and removals cost
>$1.2 million (2 percent), and
>adoption events cost $4.6 million
>(7 percent). (The $9.3
>million difference between appropriations and
>expenditures is the result of
>the use of prior-year, contracted-related
>funding.)"
>
>
>
>77 million of yours and my
>tax dollars.

Makes me sick wasting 77 million on horses. The same people fighting for the horses are probably also fighting that people and kids are starving in this country but they will fight to waste money on this. A fact that's not pointed out a lot about horses is that they live to be 20-30 years old, so each horse in holding pin is a tax burden for 20-30 years. Now that I am on a rant, what REALY PISSED me off is that Nevada's state animal is the Bighorn Sheep but the horse huggers got there way and a wild horse ended up on our state quarter. What a slap in the face to Nevadans! The simplest fix to this problem is a depredation hunt!

I know how hippie this might sound but if we can't kill them, why not sterilize as many as we can every year until they get to manageable numbers. Wish we could just shoot them though.

The trouble with em is they're "pretty". If they looked like a steer, they'd be just another piece of meat. It's not just a "wild" horse problem but a domestic horse problem as well....no more US horse slaughter houses. Wasn't T Boone Pickens wife gonna round em all up and care for em a few yrs back? Where'd she go?

The wild horse situation is just another big government blunder. The horse problem was taken care of by the 'Mustangers' There were lots of cowboys who made a living catching wild mustangs and selling them to slaughter. The good looking young horses were broke and sold. , the old ones hauled to the slaughter house. The country wasn't overrun like it is now. Our fine government decided it didn't like those guys making a living off of public land so they enacted the Wild Horse and Burro Act. It's been downhill ever since,JUST ANOTHER BLOATED GOVERNMENT PROGRAM, that doesn't work. Should have left it alone.Bleeding hearts just don't cut it in the real world.

Thanks

Brownie

Nevadahunter, you have hit one of my most raw nerves about the state quarter! God that pisses me off! And that was accomplished by sending propaganda home with school kids so their parents would cast a vote for the horse in the polls.

This article says it costs $445 a year per horse to keep them in holding facilities. I've been told by BLM they figure $45,000 each for life.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/epis...ild-horse-roundups-why-are-they-conducted/64/

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Pickens wife did get a place going. South of Wells, it's all decorated up with TeePees, little cabins and such! Everytime i drove by there this year guess how many horses i saw? Maybe 5, but when i was out hunting guess how many i saw? Probably at least 30 a day!
There are places that are worse then where i was. The Sheldon is lousy with them, hundreds!

The bleeding hearts pour so much money into trying to protect them. One day I firmly believe BLM won't be able to touch them!
They are not native, but all the people that think they are just wonderful won't take the time to see what they really do to the range and wildlife!

Actually sagebrush if the blm actually followed the wild horse and burro act they can kill them. It says if a horse is passed up for adoption 4 times it shall be destroyed the most humane and cost effective way possible.

I know NV I was bein sarcastic. What will happen is they'll eat themselves out of feed and a mass winter die off will follow. Course the damage will b done, it'll take yrs for the range to come back. Kinda like the mismanagement of our national forests here in colorado, fire suppression and no logging for decades, coupled with a 10yr drought created a perfect environment for the pine bettle. Gonna take a couple generations to recover. Hope they come to their senses b4 the damage is done.

>Nevadahunter, you have hit one of
>my most raw nerves about
>the state quarter! God that
>pisses me off! And that
>was accomplished by sending propaganda
>home with school kids so
>their parents would cast a
>vote for the horse in
>the polls.
>
>This article says it costs $445
>a year per horse to
>keep them in holding facilities.
>I've been told by BLM
>they figure $45,000 each for
>life.
>
>http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/epis...ild-horse-roundups-why-are-they-conducted/64/
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

Brother, glad I am not alone on this one!

What's crazy is we have 25,000 wild horses in this state and are only supposed to have 12,800. We have 17,500 elk in this state. I'm not a biologist by any means but imagine what our elk population would be if we could get the horse population down to where it should be.

You guys should get the DOW to issue a horse tag with every deer and elk tag. Make it the hunter's responsibility to get the meat out of the field.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-14 AT 02:19AM (MST)[p]>You guys should get the DOW
>to issue a horse tag
>with every deer and elk
>tag. Make it the hunter's
>responsibility to get the meat
>out of the field.

Hell, I'm Mexican :)...I'll eat anything once.

Give me a tag and I will try cooking the meat.

Pickens wife's wildhorse sanctuary, http://mustangmonument.com/, is quite entertaining to say the least. At a glance, I thought this is pretty cool, makes BLM look like fools, let her pay for the horses not the blm, why not right? I saw the place through my binoculars in august, at least 600 horses. However after speaking with a local, I found out government is paying her $600 per horse, don't know if this is one time deal or annually. Funny part is, she bought(saved) the horses from paiute indians who were sending these old saddle horses to slaughter house. Rich horse lovers are paying $1,500 a night to stay in one of there five star tee pees, to see wild saddle horses in their natural , vet supervised, alphalpha fattened eco resort sanctuary.

Horse on our state quarter still blows me away, thought it was a bad joke til I saw one

>You guys should get the DOW
>to issue a horse tag
>with every deer and elk
>tag. Make it the hunter's
>responsibility to get the meat
>out of the field.

+1 on that!

>What's crazy is we have 25,000
>wild horses in this state
>and are only supposed to
>have 12,800. We have
>17,500 elk in this state.
> I'm not a biologist
>by any means but imagine
>what our elk population would
>be if we could get
>the horse population down to
>where it should be.

The cattlemans association would not stand for this. They don't like elk competing with there cows for feed.
But if horses and cows were gone. We would have a lot more elk. Hmmm means we wouldn't have to wait 10 years before putting in for a bull tag.

I am tired of the I didn't get a pony for my birthday crowd. They sit it their city dwelling houses and pass legislation over places they have never even been or will go. When they get a horse of their own, and realize how expensive it is to feed, the horses are set free on the range. How do I know this? Horses in Nevada have been found with brands cut off their hides. It's a sick world we live in.

I they are truly wildlife then NDOW should be allowed to manage and issue tags!

Why is it OK to protect horses and not bighorn sheep? Last year we had the first depradation big horn hunt due to the drought, But the horses get a free pass, REALLY???????? what is happening on our public lands makes me wonder if the horses are just a scapegoat?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-15 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]>A paint rug would look mighty
>nice under my coffee table...
>

That is the first thing I have ever heard a wild horse is useful for!

This past weekend I was in 113 on a late cow hunt. Saw about 150 head of horses over 2 days. I've never seen anything like it. There is noway that area can sustain heards like that, wild game, and the domestic animals. At that kind of density, I think they would develop a disease of some sort eventually (maybe even lead poisoning).

Raised in Nevada, the horses I see are not the scrawny-looking mustangs we encountered (and seemingly a lot FEWER in number)growing up any more...not TRUE wild horses, but feral animals. The government will never allow it, but they need to be culled in most areas they range.Somehow we must overcome the sentiment of the public sector who don't understand the impacts the numbers of feral horses are having.

heres a few old ugly ones I have seen just this Fall...

24419-17_horses_2.jpg

92592014-09-29_13.25.30.jpg

7924dec._30_wild_horse.jpg

6562skylined_stallion.jpg

58322013-12-17_15.18.43.jpg

What we see definitely look like mustangs, not turned out stock or their recent descendants. Whatever the source, they do need to go.

6487131_small.jpg

"You can fly a helicopter to the top
of Everest and say you've been there.
The problem with that is were were an
##### when you started and you're
still an ##### when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a
different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom