Absolute tragedy

DBG3285

I was unfortunate enough to watch the deer I had been watching all year get shot by somebody else.
7774image.jpg

6438image.jpg

8485image.jpg

Even more unfortunate. He was never recovered. Despite 5 people tracking and the most unrealistic blood trail I have ever seen in my life.

How big do you think he is. Despite the not so good pictures.

He's looks really good. Real shame for it to be lost.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I would blame this on you being a stick flipper but I have seen rifle shooters give less effort and more shots on game. I am sorry to hear they never recovered that monster. You know sometimes the bucks do make it after a shot lets just hope this one does :)

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Yes I am sure he is gone, but there are two other bucks there that I will still be pursuing, I will tell you the unit later. This is the worst part of hunting and I am staying in contact with the man that shot him. I will be up there a good majority of this week and will also be looking for him while hunting.

I am afraid this deer will not be a lucky survivor, I have a video of the blood trail and would post but there are expletives that make me hesitant. And I know people with all weapons that have given up. Without searching. I helped until there was no blood and hours after we had lost blood it was called off. Hopefully even if it takes the help of scavengers we can locate this mans very first archery buck.

Did you try tracking the buck with a dog on a leash? Legal in Utah during hunting hours now. I have two personal friends who have found bull elk in time to recover the meat because of dogs.

I hate to say it but the meats lost if he's dead. I shot a whitetail back in mn in late December right at dark. 10 degrees out thought I'd do just like they do on tv...I waited till first am to recover that deer.....I couldn't eat a bite. It tasted like rotten meat. There's always the chance he'll survive but u implied he lost quite alot of blood. Unfortunately the only advice I have is watch for the birds.....they'll tell u where he lays.

I was not aware dogs were leagal. I know the meat is gone and I told the guy to look for birds. That's what I will be doing later in the week as well.

>I was not aware dogs were
>leagal. I know the meat
>is gone and I told
>the guy to look for
>birds. That's what I will
>be doing later in the
>week as well.

Sorry man. It sux!

Tragedy for sure and I'm sure a few can relate. Just curious about this blood trail since it sounds like it was a good one. How far did the buck make it before the blood trail disappeared?

Hope the buck is found sometime soon just for the hunters peace of mind.

I'm sorry that the animal was shot by someone else and then not recovered...

Were you unable to locate the buck either DBG3285..? It sounds like you followed the blood trail..?? I realize you may have just wanted to hunt and not use your time tracking another hunter's buck, but I was just curious if the blood trail ran out..?? Shame for such a buck to go to waste.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

As for size- he's big. Looks like an easy 180ish buck even in blurry pics. If we were guessing where he is, I'd say the Henry's now that I've been and seen some of the terrain. But it could be many units here in Utah. Just not many units hold bucks like him standing around like the Henry's do.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Yes browning. After this buck was shot I spent the remainder of the day tracking the animal. We did run out of blood. I was not able to locate yesterday, I will be spotting every morning after work for buzzards.

I think he is closer to home. Up north a ways.
Hope you find him, That's a great looking buck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>I think he is closer to
>home. Up north a ways.
>
>Hope you find him, That's a
>great looking buck.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".

Right you are gator. This is a general unit buck. So far the only good thing that has came from me not being the shooter, is that I found a much larger buck in the area that I will be pursuing.

>>I think he is closer to
>>home. Up north a ways.
>>
>>Hope you find him, That's a
>>great looking buck.
>>
>>"I have found if you go
>>the extra mile it's Never
>>crowded".
>
>
>Right you are gator. This is
>a general unit buck. So
>far the only good thing
>that has came from me
>not being the shooter, is
>that I found a much
>larger buck in the area
>that I will be pursuing.
>

When 1 door closes, another opens. Good luck with the bigger buck!

>Any chance someone else found it
>and stole it? It unfortunately
>does happen.

Yes I suppose it could be possible. I hope not, but we will see how it pans out. Hopefully we can still recover the rack for him, but who knows.

Do you know where the animal got hit?

In 08' I shot an antelope buck with a 300RUM, and immediately I saw that he got hit low in the sternum. He left a blood trail that a blind man could follow... For about 900 yards. The blood trail eventually stopped, and I was able to follow tracks for a few hundred yards that eventually lead into a coulee. I lost him in the coulee but spent the whole next day looking for him in those draws. I was sick! I never found the buck. 5 days later my friend shot that buck. He was alive and hanging with a group of does. He had a hole in his sternum.

I thought a small animal like an antelope could not survive a shot and blood loss like that. But he did. So it depends, if this deer was hit in the sternum, he could have left a blood trail for the ages, but if he didnt get an arrow in the gut, he may be recovering in a thick patch of cover somewhere. These animals that we pursue are a lot tougher then we think.

Update;

I spent Thursday and Friday morning in the area. I looked in both canyons both mornings. I have yet to see another deer in the area and have not located birds in the immediate area. I have not been able to smell decay either. Not sure what to think. I saw the guy that shot him up there yesterday,

To answer the question of where he was hit. He got shot in the neck. About 4" from where the neck meets the shoulders. He was shooting that I believe was shwacker 2" cut mechanical. It went through both sides. The buck was quartering slightly towards him and exited right in front of the shoulder.

I went to the closest water sources last Sunday and than again Thursday.

I would venture to say he is alive. If he would have bled out, you likely would have found him.

I say he's alive as well....not because u haven't found him but because of the hit.....If u didn't slice the jugular there's nothing else there (spine would have dropped in his tracks) He may survive or the alternative over the winter.

If u wanna see how they react with a jugular hit punch up Clayton Coyle archery bull on you tube. It's impressive if u hadn't seen it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom