Accuracy and Browning BAR's

C

Canyonroad

I've been shooting bolt guns my entire life and have zero experience with this particular, or any other autoloaders. So how do these rifle shoot in comparison to bolt action rifles with like cartridges. I'm thinking in terms of hunting type situations not so much benchrest type shooting.

In my opinion they are as accurate as any bolt out there. I have shot many bolts as well as my Browning but none shoot better. Most peoples natural wobble is apt to move the bullet more than this rifle will. I shoot a 30-06 and There isn't anyone in our local that wants to get in a contest with me particually in the 300-450 range. I admit that I do practice but no more than a couple of boxes a year through that rifle. I shoot other rifles more often and love the flat shooting 223 however that is comparing apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned. One of the sweetest things about this rifle is lack of kick. That alone will let you practice without fear of the scope-eye. I suggest you shoot a friends or purchase one and decide for yourself. The scope does help and I have one on my auto.
Driftersifter
P.S.
I have take a lot of shi at the begining but results speak the loudest and its been real quiet about that this past couple of years.

I know that there is always talk about bolt actions being more accurate but the BAR seems like a very practical hunting rifle and if they are reasonably accurate I may try one out. The 30/06 sounds perfect.

Hands down the bolt action will win. But the BAR is awful accurate(the ones I've shot). Plenty accurate enough out to 300 yards or so where most people have no business shooting further anyway.

I am not at all convinced about needing quick follow up shots. I prefer to operate on the theory one shot one kill. But rest assured you are not getting a 7400 or mini 14 type accuracy with the BAR. Especially if you get a BOSS on it. Even if its not the braked BOSS.

As an anecdote to speed- ask a good bolt gun match shooter in rapid fire why they don't shoot a semi auto. They'll tell you with a semi they have to wait around for the action to cycle. Whereas with the bolt they can get on with it. Of course thats all bunk, but I'm awful good with a bolt gun and can get that second shot away awful fast. Just takes practice. In fact with something along the lines of 300-338, I've usually got the second round chambered as the gun comes down out of recoil.

You can do no harm buy shooting a BAR thats for sure.

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom