accuracy

wildfin

I have a encore 209 50 cal that was shooting very accurate and now is all over I use pyrodex pellets and triple 7 primers and 250 grain triple shock barnes. Not sure why so I changed the scope mounts and changed the scope, still all over, Not sure if the barrel is gone, I know the breech plug is old and the primer stick,I do have a new breech plug and have not put it in yet. I am also going to try the original lead thompson 240 grain just to see If maybe the barnes are a problem, but they had not been. Anybody have that kind of problem , I think it could be the barrel. thanks

Did you switch to Barnes after using something else? I know the Barnes bullets seem to fit a little snug in some barrels which causes erratic patterns. Maybe try a different bullet?

I had been using the barnes mostly hunting military land for years now and have always used pyrodex. I have been shooting a bit more for a hunt in oct. and the bullets have gotten more difficult to load. the bullets I am using now I just got but not sure If that could be it.

Did you try to really clean the barrel... Assuming your shooting sabots with those bullets? Maybe theres plastic in the rifling. Clean it really really good. I've never had much luck with sabots and would never use them again. You could then try a bullet on bore type of bullet... throw your sabots away.

Great advice above - what scope are you using? I have had terrible luck with lower quality scopes (e.g., Vortex Diamondback) on my muzzy. They don't hold up to the recoil of a muzzleloader and will not hold zero. I went through several before jumping to a Vortex Razor and now the Leupold VX-Freedom scope made specifically for muzzys.

If it is definitely not scope related, you might also try the Hornady XTP .45 Caliber 250gr or 300gr bullet with a black Harvester sabot and Blackhorn 209 powder in ranges from 90 grains to 110 grains by volume. That has been a very accurate load for me and the 300 grain bullet does a number on deer and elk.

I use blackhorn 209. You may have to go to measuring it out. I use 106 on my powder measurer. Also clean out the sabot fouling if using one.

thanks for all the replies but this gun was almost shooting through the same hole at 100 yards, and know is all over, One thing that is possible is a cracked stock.I have a new one on the way and have put in a new breech plug. So I will give it another go, my powder and bullets are brand new, and I have cleaned the barrel with copper solvent. Tc has also said there may be something else lose, It is not the scope or mounts and once I have the stock I will check for any other problems thanks

Try another bullet just for kicks and see if they pattern. Doesn’t matter if they hit, just check for consistency.

Switch to blackhorn 209. It’s oil based so moisture affects it less. Water based powders absorb water constantly, in the fouling in the barrel, in the containers, in the barrel, everywhere. Stuff is garbage. Honestly can’t believe it even blows up half the time. The only reason it was ever a thing was back when you had to draw hot water through the nipple to clean them, people wanted water based powder. Those days disappeared with removable breach plug rifles and will never come back.

Again thanks for all the replies , I did put in a new breech plug and with the new synthetic stock the gun is back to shooting consistant so it must have been the cracked stock which was broken from the trigger guard back about 3 inches, never noticed but was told it would happen, and when removing the beach plug the stock broke off completely and I could see were it was broken for some time. Well I will be in new mex in october for elk and I will have a spare gun, thanks

I am glad you got it worked out. I am a big believer in a felt wad or veggie wad between powder and bullet base. I also have a sizing die for full-size bullet to bore bullets. I have gotten crazy accurate loads with my new Knight ultra-lite using arrowhead 300 grn xld with 115 by volume Blackhorn 209. The lower group is a 3 shot group at 100 yards. I adjusted my scope and the upper group is 9 shots at 100. Best of luck to everybody this year.
8AE4644D-833F-44B4-AD88-672B4B0B582F.jpeg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom