Advice for Utah

TipMOver

Hey boys,

Looking for some opinions on Utah for deer. I have 8 points and have been applying for the archery Pauns. hunt as a NR. Is the Pauns. still a great choice for a bowhunt, or should I be looking elsewhere (Books or Vernon)? I should be getting pretty close to a tag, I think. Thanks in advance!

Books and Vernon are differnt hunts

Your chances of getting a really big deer are much higher on the Pauns, where as Vernon and the Books will give you a shot at a 160-170 deer with a chance at something larger.

I think the Book Cliffs is a better archery choice. Vernon has the best odds I believe.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

As a Non Res w/ 8 pts in the Archery world you are pretty much guaranteed a tag on the Book Cliffs and Vernon. Vernon only took 4 pts I think to guarantee a tag. Might be wasting those valuable pts there.

You are only a few years out on the Pauns. If people with 8-9 pts move around, you could draw sooner. Took 9 pts last year to have a shot at the 1 bonus tag. Problem is, you start getting that many pts and the Henry's looks better and better.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Wow! Thanks a bunch fellas. I have been back and forth on my thinking between the Books and the Pauns. I thought I would probably get a tag this year if I applied for the Books, and getting close for the Pauns. I guess I'm still split on it.

Like everyone, I love to see lots of game on a hunt, and I've heard that during the Books bowhunt there are tons of deer. Any input about the Pauns. during the archery season?

Vernon would be my last choice by far!
Pauns first, then the Books. Don't even put Vernon as a choice or you'll draw it. There are a few nice deer there (it's only twenty minutes from my house) but it doesn't compare to your other two choices. The books are full of bucks, but you'll possibly see or have a chance at a bigger buck on the Pauns.
Good luck!!

I too would focus on the book cliffs. Spend plent of time scouting, and find several remote water holes to set up on in the evenings, and spot and stalk in mornings. There are great deer on both units--for an archery hunt, I personally would choose the Book Cliffs, or save the points for the Henrys.

Why put in for the pauns when over half the deer summer on private lands? You can not even hunt the whole herd? Alot of bonus points to waste on 1/2 + of a herd.

Mick

My friend had a Pauns Archery tag this year. He wounded a really nice buck towards the end of the season and spent the rest of his hunt looking for it without success. He said he only saw a few real nice bucks and access is sometimes a problem. He came home empty handed.
I have also scouted the Books just before archery season and man there are lots of good bucks out there. The Henry's seems to have the best deer as far as quality. So I am with several others above. Either hold points for the Henrys, or have a great Book Cliffs hunt right away. Good luck! Either way you are in great shape for a fun time.

Tip,

I hunted the Books (archery) the first year it opened back up after the shut down (1999) Man...they could of made the Books something really special. But, unfotunately didn't decide to manage it that way. While, still being a great hunt you can expect to see a lot of 22"-24" (155-165) bucks. But, as on any unit there are always some dandys running around. My family and I go to Pauns every year and camp for a week in Sept. I spend a lot of time looking at deer during that week and have seen some great ones over the years. Probably a little bit tougher of a hunt down there, but if you have a lot of time to scout it, it can definitely be worth it. It's a fairly large unit too, with some private, but there is a ton of stuff to hunt. So, don't let the private property post on here throw you off. PM me if you want and I can give you some areas in both units to check out.

BowHuntr

I guess 40,000 + acres is (some private) on the pauns. What is amazing is how many deer summer there. Show me a 150 + bucks in ONE evening up on the top and I will agree 100% with you. I am absolutley positive I can show you that many between the CWMU unit and other private lands.

I will stick with my first post.

Mick,

mdh, is leading you astray. There is some good archery hunting to be had on public land on the paunsaguant if you know where to hunt.

Mike

Mike,

I am not leading anyone astray. I am just stating and I think it is documented that over 50% of the Paunsaugunt Herd summers on Private Land. Believe it or not. I have lived on this unit my whole life. I have private land in the middle of the Alton unit. I know what I see. 10 - 12 years ago I would absolutly agree with you 100%. But when you only hunt half the herd for so many years with all the tags it takes its toll.

Maybe we ought to classify what we our looking for. I am talking Bucks in the 195 + and up range. If you are looking for something other than this, I question why waste the bonus points for anything less. The henries seem to be offering much better at this time than anywhere else in regards to the animals I am talking about. It takes to long to build the points needed to draw these units. Make it count when you do draw. How many 190+ bucks were killed on the archery hunt last year? How many were killed on the Alton unit and other private land? This should tell us something.

Mick,

TipMover I hunted the Pauns. archery last year. I only hunted around tropic but it was a good hunt and I saw a few very good deer (nothing over 180). I've heard some guys in the past talk about bigger deer in the lower part of the unit. I came in cold (from KS, never seen the unit before) and only scouted 3 days, hunted 6 and took a decent buck. I know it's not what it used to be but if you had alot of time to scout in the summer you should be able to locate some great bucks. I hunt muleys in KS every year and dont see anywhere near the number of nice deer in a month that I did on the Pauns. in just a few days. BTW a couple of forest service guys told me about two bucks the saw that they said were the biggest deer they had ever seen so there still are some great deer around on and off the Heaton place. Dont know about the Books or Henrys, probly will never draw those.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom