Advice on predator calls?

huntswnm

I am not getting a whole lot of info off of the predator forum so I thought I would try here. I am torn between buying a JS e-caller, or spending my money on some mouth calls. My skills are few with the mouth calls, since I have not called much in the past. I would be willing to learn to call, but the convenience of the e-caller is appealing. If I do go with the e-caller I am thinking of the Preymaster by JS. It is not remote controlled, but it is digital. Does anyone use this, and if so how is it. Or, should I spend my money on hand calls?
Thanks,
Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 06:43PM (MST)[p]The electronic callers are fun for about a week, then the cord and batteries get old fast. The mouth calls are easy to learn and use. If you buy an electronic I'll bet within a couple of trips you'll be shopping for a hand call.......much more convenient.

Take NVMDF's advice.

JB

I second the Tally Ho. You may also want to carry a howler and a cottontail distress to use along with the Tally Ho as it is more of a jackrabbit call. Check out Randy Anderson's videos as well. A lot of information can be found on different calling techniques as well as the use of different calls. Another site to check out is AllPredatorCalls.com. AP Jones is a wealth of knowledge and his site offers a vast array of predator hunting paraphernalia. Electronic calls are a useful tool but the cords break, tapes and discs drag and they can be a pain lugging them around in the field. The open reed calls like the Tally Ho are very dependable. It would be best to invest some time and a little money in trying out different calls to see which ones bring you the most success. I personally carry three distress calls (Circe, Tally Ho, Tweety), one howler (Red Desert)and a rodent squeaker (Primos) with me. Here in Arizona, we have a very liberal predator season and once you call in your first dog, you will be hooked for life.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-04 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p]What decade are you guys living in? There's a whole ton of wireless remote controlled electronic predator callers out there that weigh less than 3 lbs and have no moving parts. The Foxpro, Loudmouth, and JS Bushwacker just to name a few. I think guys should learn to use a mouth call before adding an electronic to their bag of tricks, but the days of winding up cords, messing with tapes, etc. are over for those who choose to upgrade.

Thanks guys, I will take all of this into consideration. I have ordered the video mentioned above and should get it this week. Thanks again. Jeff

sweet 2 more coyotes bite the dust. Ill be out this weekend to help do my part.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom